Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

OT: NXEC 5 tickets London - Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Inverness etc

OT: NXEC 5 tickets London - Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Inverness etc

Old Dec 10, 08, 6:19 pm

Programs: BD*G -> BA Gold + A3*G (now dropped to BA Silver)
Originally Posted by jbfield View Post
Their website can sometimes provide decent fares (for other train companies), although that itself is rather slow.
Yeah, but that website was created for GNER, but typical IT implementation delays meant that it was launched about a week before the end of GNER's franchise.

Therefore I can't say the website is something NXEC improved, even if they often get the credit for it. It looked so much nicer too in GNER colours.
Old Dec 11, 08, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: AGR, DL
Originally Posted by jbfield View Post
Their website can sometimes provide decent fares (for other train companies), although that itself is rather slow.
That is something I had forgotten, although it was in fact a project initiated by GNER before they lost the franchise. The NXEC (although not the NXEA) website has probably Britain's best train ticket purchasing websites. Thetrainline charges you twice for using a credit or debit card *and* for delivery or collection from a machine, and does so after a horrendous multi-page booking process. The NXEC site has a commendable "mixing desk" that allows you to see all available trains / fares for the outward and return journey on one page, making it easy to identify which services have cheaper advance purchase fares. What's more, there's currently no booking, delivery or collection charges.
Old Dec 11, 08, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by jamesbrownontheroad View Post
That is something I had forgotten
But that's not an NXEC improvement. If GNER hadn't launched this booking engine then NXEC would have been using thetrainline like all the other sheep (proof: see NXEA). So I can't see how you could consider this as something NXEC improved. (pic: 'NXEC' website at launch)

If NX CEO Bowker really belived in his motto 'making travel simpler', he'd have broken the contract NXEA has with the trainline so that both National Express franchises can use the same superior booking engine. There's also inconsistency with the services on board the NXEA InterCity services and the NXEC ones, even down to which credit cards are accepted on board.

The only good product National Express has in my mind is dot2dot, they now take me from LHR to my house for not much more than the Heathrow Express. But NX are planning on selling or scrapping this service in 2009 rather than promoting it properly - I only discovered by accident that they now serve residential addresses, I bet most people don't know what this service is.

Now that NXEC uses the GNER booking engine, I will point out that the original GNER online booking engine wasn't thetrainline but it was based on qjump which was then owned by National Express. GNER switched to thetrainline a few months before qjump itself was taken over and became yet another thetrainline clone. More proof that National Express didn't see the point in maintaining a competitor to thetrainline.

The original qjump was quick for buying regular tickets (savers, open returns, etc) but even more useless than thetrainline for booking quota controlled tickets. I also miss the old Railtrack journey planner from around that period too, much quicker than the one National Rail use - again based on the dreaded thetrainline.
Old Dec 12, 08, 2:44 pm

I travel on the ECML a lot and I have to say this is the 1st time anyone has stated that NXEC is an improvement over GNER.

NXEC is an embarrasment frankly and the low morale of staff is showing. I've seen staff arguing between themselves in front of passengers on a number of occasions...shocking.
Old Dec 18, 08, 4:08 pm

Despite my better judgment I booked some of these 5 tickets on Monday, the last day they were available for booking. Now do we really have to print out that stupid PDF voucher and take them with our tickets?

The ticket type printed on my tickets is "READER OFFERSGL" then I found this other interesting page on the NXEC website:
http://www.nationalexpresseastcoast....nicle-January/

This is a promo on both standard and first class tickets, presumably these also show as "READER OFFERSGL" and on that page above it says you need to take tokens out of the Evening Chronicle.

However, the T&Cs of the ticket itself in the booking engine say nothing about this and are they really going to train all the conductors in the different qualifying criteria for each of these special ticket types?

Here's a few other newspaper offers I've found:
http://www.nationalexpresseastcoast....-Echo-January/

http://www.nationalexpresseastcoast....Times-January/

Personally I think they'd be safe to book even without the tokens. Anyone tried it?

Search this Thread