Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Double charged for purchasing miles. bmi says can't help.

Double charged for purchasing miles. bmi says can't help.

Old Dec 4, 08, 12:41 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New York, NY
Programs: AA CK, A3 Gold, spg100
Posts: 3,913
Double charged for purchasing miles. bmi says can't help.

What is that all about?

I purchased 6,000 destination miles at flybmi.com the other day, and I notice two charges from some company called Points International.

I email bmi, and they say there is nothing they can do, and I should contact Points International. I don't even know who these guys are, and bmi offers no contact info.

Anyone have any insight into how to resolve this? I don't want to spend a small fortune calling the UK from my US cell phone. I guess I'll just dispute the charge. I'm quite angry at bmi's response. Couple that with redemption availability that fluctuates from one agent to another, my patience is wearing thin. But I guess that first class seat on SQ that I redeemed for 15,000 miles and some cash will make it all better.
justforfun is offline  
Old Dec 4, 08, 1:32 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Programs: MUCCI
Posts: 5,702
You'll find contact details at: Points.com

Agree that responce wasn't very helpfull.

Points International operate Points.com are a loyalty points transfer and exchange site. Permitting users to transfer points between schemes and users where permitted by the schemes.

They also power the point-purchase element of many other schemes (including BA, and by the sound of it bmi).

For what you want to do you don't need to join points.com itself, but if you do decide to, look at the different joining options they have different signup bonuses with different schemes.

Either contact points.com:
https://www.points.com/static/html/support_email.html

Or, since you are not registered with them, they have corporate contacts:
https://www.points.com/static/corpor..._overview.html
David-A is offline  
Old Dec 4, 08, 1:48 am
  #3  
Company Representative - British Airways
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Programs: bmi Diamond Club - Retired Official Lurker
Posts: 438
Thats nonsense, email [email protected] with your details and I'll sort the refund for you directly with points.
diamond club is offline  
Old Dec 4, 08, 2:30 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Programs: BA
Posts: 3,885
Originally Posted by diamond club View Post
Thats nonsense, email [email protected] with your details and I'll sort the refund for you directly with points.
^^ diamond club
More Champagne Sir? is offline  
Old Dec 4, 08, 2:51 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Programs: BA Exec Blue, IHG Spire, HHonor Gold, Accor Platinum.
Posts: 938
Originally Posted by justforfun View Post
What is that all about?

I purchased 6,000 destination miles at flybmi.com the other day, and I notice two charges from some company called Points International.
Have you actually been billed the two amounts or are they pending transactions?

Sometimes a vendor (mistakenly) double charges an amount to a credit card but only actually 'takes' one amount. The second amount then 'falls' off the card without being charged (usually after 4-5 days).

The credit card supplier usually waits to see if this happens, if not and you actually get billed twice, then you can dispute the charge.

I've had this happen a few of times, the most notable was bmi when they had a transaction for a fare of 2,400 'billed' twice



I'm sure it will get sorted.
blindman is offline  
Old Dec 4, 08, 3:53 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Surrey, UK
Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue
Posts: 3,498
Originally Posted by blindman View Post

Sometimes a vendor (mistakenly) double charges an amount to a credit card but only actually 'takes' one amount. The second amount then 'falls' off the card without being charged (usually after 4-5 days).
eg BMI when you book on the website. Always seems to take 2 authorisations, which if you are booking a J ticket can be a bit of a pain.
irmster is offline  
Old Dec 4, 08, 7:29 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New York, NY
Programs: AA CK, A3 Gold, spg100
Posts: 3,913
Originally Posted by diamond club View Post
Thats nonsense, email [email protected] with your details and I'll sort the refund for you directly with points.
You have restored my faith in humanity. I sincerely appreciate your interest in fixing this problem.

I did just check my credit card again, and it is in fact posted twice, not just authorized twice.
justforfun is offline  
Old Dec 4, 08, 1:59 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seat 2A
Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Posts: 10,468
Again a great action of Joanna !

Thanks for helping the OP ! ^

@ OP: You could have also disputed with your cc company. I never trust companies like points.com etc anymore. Much easier to call AMEX and let them do a chargeback.

Cheers,
S
skywalkerLAX is offline  
Old Dec 4, 08, 4:25 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: New York, NY
Programs: AA CK, A3 Gold, spg100
Posts: 3,913
OP here.

points.com sent a very nice reply saying that I have been misinformed and that it is bmi who needs to rectify the solution, just as I suspected all along!

What's funny is that you can tell the bmi reply was hastily written and quite unprofessional, while the points.com reply was completely legitimate. Makes a world of difference.

Anyway, not to worry, as diamond club will swoop in and come to the rescue.
justforfun is offline  
Old Dec 4, 08, 10:41 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 994
Originally Posted by David-A View Post
You'll find contact details at: Points.com

Agree that responce wasn't very helpfull.

Points International operate Points.com are a loyalty points transfer and exchange site. Permitting users to transfer points between schemes and users where permitted by the schemes.

They also power the point-purchase element of many other schemes (including BA, and by the sound of it bmi).

For what you want to do you don't need to join points.com itself, but if you do decide to, look at the different joining options they have different signup bonuses with different schemes.

Either contact points.com:
https://www.points.com/static/html/support_email.html

Or, since you are not registered with them, they have corporate contacts:
https://www.points.com/static/corpor..._overview.html
Great sales pitch.

However, points.com does not work with any European, Middle Eastern or Asian FFPs (except Icelandair), so don't waste your time signing up like I just did, thinking I could swap points between BMI, Thai Airways, Lufthansa and Qatar Airways programs. You can't.

Seems to work well if you're a US resident with loyalty programs for US regional airlines, a couple of US international airlines, and some US stores.
moocherx is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: