Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Promo: Buy Miles get 10% free promo is back

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Promo: Buy Miles get 10% free promo is back

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2008, 5:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Buy Miles get 10% free promo is back

Originally Posted by bmi email
When you buy destinations miles between 13 November and 31 December 2008, we'll give you an extra 10% of destinations miles for free.

Terms & conditions apply
Old Nov 14, 2008, 5:21 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Dear O F

Why not take a break this festive season

If you fancy taking a break over the festive period but you're a few miles short for your trip, whether skiing in Switzerland or enjoying the markets in Brussels, bmi has the offer you've been waiting for. When you buy destinations miles between 13 November and 31 December 2008, we'll give you an extra 10% of destinations miles for free. View terms and conditions

This means you can buy 1,100 miles for just £12 or 9,900 for £108 – more than enough for a return flight to Belgium. Topping up is perfect if you have a holiday in mind, as you can use your miles on flights, hotel stays or car hire. You can also treat a friend to miles this festive season and reward them with 10% extra free.
Terms and Conditions
The offer to buy destinations miles and receive 10% extra free is only available through flybmi.com between 13 November and 30 December 2008. Any destinations miles purchased will be credited to the Diamond Club account up to 7 days after purchase. Any destinations miles earned for gift purchases will be credited to the Diamond Club account within 90 days following the purchase. bmi will automatically delete/remove any duplicate/surplus applications and or duplicate miles added. Standard Diamond Club terms and conditions apply. bmi Diamond Club reserves the right to change or alter this promotion at any time.
Also new is a spambox-avoidance tactic :

To ensure you receive our bmi Diamond Club emails, please add bmidiamondclub <at> bmi-news <dot> com to your address book or safe list now.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 5:41 am

Programs: BDLG, BAEC Silver, Skyteam pleb, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Sadly, I did not get this mail (makes a change - not!), but it does mention it on the buy miles page.

Even more sadly, I have already purchased my maximum for the year, and the system remembered it.

So this offer is just a tease for me, unless anyone knows how this may be got around (other than by getting Mrs. 20-Horse to buy them for me!).

Regards

20-Horse
Old Nov 14, 2008, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Remember that Miles & More miles are worth substantially less than Diamond Club miles (45,000 for a same-day return in Europe, anyone?) so I wouldn't buy miles unless you are 100% sure you will use them during 2009.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by 20-Horse
Sadly, I did not get this mail (makes a change - not!), but it does mention it on the buy miles page.

Even more sadly, I have already purchased my maximum for the year, and the system remembered it.

So this offer is just a tease for me, unless anyone knows how this may be got around (other than by getting Mrs. 20-Horse to buy them for me!).

Regards

20-Horse
The offer works for gifting miles too. Hence if you havent already gifted yourself 80k for this year then you can continue to benefit.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 7:53 am

Programs: QR Plat, TK *Gold, SV Silver, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Raffles
Remember that Miles & More miles are worth substantially less than Diamond Club miles
Hmm, wouldn't it make sense to buy miles, given that you'd need more of them in M&M? Since you either have to earn them, or buy them, it probably still makes sense. Especially since buying miles in M&M is expensive:

Taken from here:

Purchase award miles for yourself or others - the following packages are available:
Euro Miles
€60 2,000 miles
€115 4,000 miles
€160 6,000 miles
€205 8,000 miles
€245 10,000 miles
€290 12,000 miles
So 22,000 miles would be €550 (~£470 at today's rates) in M&M or £255 through DC. Oh, and you can only purchase 12k max on M&M. The miles are worth less than they used to be, but DC miles are still a wise investment compared to the alternative!
Old Nov 14, 2008, 7:55 am

Programs: BDLG, BAEC Silver, Skyteam pleb, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Thanks for the tip, I tried gifting to myself, and got the message, you cannot gift to yourself, maybe I was doing something wrong.

Regards

20-Horse
Old Nov 14, 2008, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
If you've already bought 20k for yourself then you are limited to 60k in gifts as the maximum total for a 12 month period is 80k.

So Mrs 20-Horse can buy you a further 60k and you can in turn buy her either the full 80k if she hasn't purchased any for herself, or 60k if she's already bought 20k.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 8:01 am

Programs: QR Plat, TK *Gold, SV Silver, HH Diamond
Is it really the case that one account can gift you 60k? I've heard that 20k is the limit for any account to gift another specific account too. So you need 3 friends to get the 60k. Is that right?
Old Nov 14, 2008, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
If you've already bought 20k for yourself then you are limited to 60k in gifts as the maximum total for a 12 month period is 80k.

So Mrs 20-Horse can buy you a further 60k and you can in turn buy her either the full 80k if she hasn't purchased any for herself, or 60k if she's already bought 20k.
Ahh, it becomes clear now, thank you, apologies for being thick, its been a long hard week.

Mrs 20-Horse is a silver (thanks to my kind generosity being over 55K last year) and I have just talked her into a BMI plus AMEX, in the hope that she will spend enough on my Christmas pressies to get the miles. Those should boost her upto 100K, so I shall be looking at her to fund the next redemption maybe!

Regards

20-Horse
Old Nov 14, 2008, 8:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Do the bonus miles post at the same time as the miles bought or do they post at a later date?
Old Nov 14, 2008, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Do the bonus miles post at the same time as the miles bought or do they post at a later date?
Bottom of the page on the website says"10% bonus miles may take up to 7 days to appear on your Diamond Club account"

Regards

20-Horse
Old Nov 14, 2008, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by Tiger_lily

You can gift yourself 80k AND buy yourself 20k. Hence 100k total. Thats my understanding.
Old Nov 14, 2008, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by Raffles
Remember that Miles & More miles are worth substantially less than Diamond Club miles (45,000 for a same-day return in Europe, anyone?) so I wouldn't buy miles unless you are 100% sure you will use them during 2009.
Conversely, I'm travelling to Far East next year with family in tow. So it would actually be beneficial to wait until we're M&M before doing a booking. This is because the business class redemption amount is the same as bmi, but in M&M you get 25% discount on the sprogs (as long as you travel on LH).
Old Nov 14, 2008, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by Saracenn
Is it really the case that one account can gift you 60k? I've heard that 20k is the limit for any account to gift another specific account too. So you need 3 friends to get the 60k. Is that right?
No.

Any single account can transfer upto 80k in a year, be it to a single account or split between multiple accounts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.