FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   bmi | Diamond Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-diamond-club-486/)
-   -   Rumours: announcement Friday, MAN unions involved (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-diamond-club/879861-rumours-announcement-friday-man-unions-involved.html)

jamesbrownontheroad Oct 22, 2008 8:32 am

Rumours: announcement Friday, MAN unions involved

PPrune has come alive with chatter...

http://www.pprune.org/airlines-airpo...mi-friday.html

...not all of it useful, but:

An "Insider" tells me that all the unions have been called in to a meeting at the hall on Friday after which an announcement will be made to the press, if this involves all employee groups it may be something more significant than just moving the 330s to Heathrow Hopefully it will have a positive spin !

I don't know who your "insider" is, but it was never all unions summoned to the meeting at Donington Hall - only unions connected with Manchester.

You can all draw your own conclusions from that, but you don't have to be a rocket scientist to work out that it was bad news!

RAPC Oct 22, 2008 8:41 am

I have watched the few pprune threads going on this week, but in typical pprune fashion, a lot of them come to nothing.

If it is the mooted MAN long-haul cull, then my thoughts are with some of the excellent bmi staff on the ground and in the air. Hopefully it is just rumours though, but let's wait and see.

FlyingOnceMore Oct 22, 2008 9:05 am

If it's the LHR move, which I suspect it will be, I would also presume that'll be the end of ORD unless there's a deal with UA to take over one daily rotation. We all know UA want aircraft for other routes.

For bmi to go solo to ORD would be as suicidal as going to JFK !

DELLAS Oct 22, 2008 9:51 am

Would be great to see more A330 routes at LHR but thats just wishful thinking.

DYKWIA Oct 22, 2008 10:36 am

Great... after AA reduces ORD frequency from MAN, BMI then pull out of the route all together!

:mad:

Cheers,
Rick

irmster Oct 22, 2008 11:32 am

hopefully not in time to ruin my xmas LAS holiday please!

FlyingOnceMore Oct 22, 2008 12:27 pm

If you look hard enough, the truth is out there.

Major announcement due from bmi

OttoMH Oct 22, 2008 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingOnceMore (Post 10559976)

Broken link.

EDIT. Or not.. -_-

Oxon Flyer Oct 22, 2008 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingOnceMore (Post 10559976)

:D^

I tried to hitch a ride, but "this plane is down for maintenance"

blagger Oct 23, 2008 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingOnceMore (Post 10558846)
If it's the LHR move, which I suspect it will be, I would also presume that'll be the end of ORD unless there's a deal with UA to take over one daily rotation. We all know UA want aircraft for other routes.

For bmi to go solo to ORD would be as suicidal as going to JFK !

Rumour on a rumour... 330s moving to LHR, EI to take over MAN-ORD... BD and UA codeshare...

modularmayhem Oct 24, 2008 10:39 am

So its after 5:30pm has anyone any idea what the big announcement was?

cstead Oct 24, 2008 10:43 am

Originally Posted by modularmayhem (Post 10571384)
So its after 5:30pm has anyone any idea what the big announcement was?

Nope. I checked Google News and saw nothing

modularmayhem Oct 24, 2008 10:43 am

From pprune, may answer my own question...

It was posted on Tuesday that the Unions had all been told that the meeting on Friday was cancelled, so NO announcement was to be made. The meeting & announcement were not rumours - all union officials connected with Manchester were invited to be there at 1030 & the announcement was to be made at 1100.

LiviLion Oct 24, 2008 10:50 am

Originally Posted by cstead (Post 10571411)
Nope. I checked Google News and saw nothing

I heard that EDI & GLA to MAN & LHR were being merged and served by an A330 doing an EDI-GLA-MAN-LHR to save on fuel costs as GLA and MAN are on the way anyway.

FlyingOnceMore Oct 24, 2008 11:03 am

I thought the idea was to hook the ERJ the back of the A330 and tow it south, letting the cable drop over Preston so it can glide into MAN.