Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Rumours: announcement Friday, MAN unions involved

Rumours: announcement Friday, MAN unions involved

Old Oct 27, 08, 9:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jetstreamer View Post
unless they want to operate to LAS from LHR then I'm all in favour
Which I think would be a success.
Old Oct 27, 08, 5:29 pm

Programs: BD*G -> BA Gold + A3*G (now dropped to BA Silver)
Originally Posted by Mofomat View Post
Which I think would be a success.
Edit: comment deleted, was thinking of the wrong airport
Old Oct 27, 08, 6:14 pm

Location: Northern Ireland (in spirit), but much more likely GB or Europe.
Programs: EI GC, BA EC, AAdvantage, AB Top Bonus
From PPRUNE:

The BIG announcement!!
Well - the announcement about the BIG announcement has finally been announced!!

It is on Wednesday 5th November at Donington Hall. Meeting with the Unions before Nigel Turner makes his important company announcement.

I think we all know what it's going to be!! very sad times ahead with a lot of people affected.

Looks like the 330s are on the move. LH is next I expect.
Old Oct 27, 08, 6:22 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by BHDBOY View Post
From PPRUNE:

The BIG announcement!!
Well - the announcement about the BIG announcement has finally been announced!!

It is on Wednesday 5th November at Donington Hall. Meeting with the Unions before Nigel Turner makes his important company announcement.
5th November, so expect fireworks.

However all of the talk of 'a BIG announcement' comes from rumour boards. An announcement, yes...whether it is big is another thing.

Whatever the outcome, hopefully it won't affect the BD Manchester team too much overall.
Old Oct 27, 08, 9:38 pm

Programs: OneWorld Emerald, Star Silver, Virgin Gold, VIP Car Renter, Hotel Elite
Wirelessly posted (FlyerTalk.com/wap is fun : BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I have a upcoming flight on US to LHR. I would love for a missconnect to occur so I could fly BD direct instead.
Old Oct 27, 08, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Mrp Alert View Post
Wirelessly posted (FlyerTalk.com/wap is fun : BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I have a upcoming flight on US to LHR. I would love for a missconnect to occur so I could fly BD direct instead.
Understandable
Old Oct 28, 08, 10:22 am

Cool

I do hope that bmi doesn't relocate the A330's down south, I know of two members of crew in my apartment complex that are (very!) nervous about the impending announcement, and that wasn't helped by the pulling of the previous week's communication... in short there a lot of crew "in the air" over it all....

Having flown bmi to LAS and ORD several times, I love the service and the airline, and I do hope that, from a selfish passenger point of view they don't ditch the MANchester based routes, it would be a real shame....

From a crew point of view, there are lots of long haul crew who could be displaced by the relocation of the aircraft, and it would be highly unlikely that london allowances would make up for the increased cost of living near LHR, plus there's the concept of selling their homes in Manchester at possibly the worse time to sell them... not to mention there are too many displaced crew already.....

From a MANairport point of view, the loss of (what i feel) is a prestige carrier from Manchester Airport, on top of the other volume of airlines that have ditched Manchester (or gone bust) would leave Manchester as a charter hub... apart from Fly(may)be I don't know who else would have scheduled crews based out of the airport....

Right now, I have hopeful thought's for bmi's MANchester hub, crew and their nice A330's staying put, right where they belong....!!

In the meantime im seriously wondering if I should book my trip to relatives in SFO with bmi, before this announcement so they are obliged to re-route me should that be needed... but then, I don't want re-routing! I wanna fly with bmi from Manchester!!

Bu&&ger off LHR! LGW!

Andy
Old Oct 28, 08, 11:12 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by techandy View Post

Right now, I have hopeful thought's for bmi's MANchester hub, crew and their nice A330's staying put, right where they belong....!!
Andy, I share your hopeful thoughts. The MAN long-haul crews have (with only one sour faced exception!) always been top notch on my MAN-ORD-MAN flights. They are a pleasure to fly with and excellent ambassadors for bmi.

I for one am definitely keeping my fingers crossed for them. Much as I would prefer to fly ex-MAN, I can always fly via LHR or Europe if necessary. They on the other hand may need to relocate or seek new employment, which is not ideal, especially in the current climate.
Old Oct 28, 08, 11:31 am

Programs: BD DC, BA EC, AAdvantage, Hhonors and now NZ Aipoints
Well I hope they dont move the A330 just yet. Just booked a week in ANU before xmas for myself and the missus.

Having recently moved back to MAN from Lon to study (and for quality of life) it would be a pain if they cancelled the l/h destinations from MAN - we were looking at Mauritius with Virgin from LON but the missus said she would rather just fly from here

P
Old Oct 28, 08, 11:35 am

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
As I restarted my flying with the Manchester crews, I do have a soft spot and afinity for them.

All the crews I've encountered have been funny, steller and hard working though their flights (and always game for a laugh - even when our favouite A330's have engine computer problems... ).

The MAN option has provided something the UK needs - a valid alternative to the London Airports (as their is only undeveloped life beyond the M25), and allows me support these other stations - and the good people who are based on these stations.

Good luck to ALL the crews involved (air or ground) - we're on your side ^.
Old Oct 28, 08, 5:02 pm
Suspended

From a crew point of view, there are lots of long haul crew who could be displaced by the relocation of the aircraft, and it would be highly unlikely that london allowances would make up for the increased cost of living near LHR, plus there's the concept of selling their homes in Manchester at possibly the worse time to sell them... not to mention there are too many displaced crew already....

I maybe missing something here, but why would the A332 crews even have to move house? London is only 150 miles away. I know many BA crew are based out of London yet live abroad even, such as Ireland and France, and commute when they have to work. Short-haul might be a problem but long-haul may not be.
Old Oct 28, 08, 5:05 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Gold, HHonors Silver, Big White Season Pass
It depends whether the crews will be required to work solely on the 332's or whether they get rostered on a mixture of long haul, mid-haul and short-haul I guess.
Old Oct 28, 08, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by Mofomat View Post
I maybe missing something here, but why would the A332 crews even have to move house? London is only 150 miles away. I know many BA crew are based out of London yet live abroad even, such as Ireland and France, and commute when they have to work. Short-haul might be a problem but long-haul may not be.
... Possibly because BA Long Haul work only on Long Haul where as bmi work mixed long and mid/short haul...... I wouldn't fancy a MAN - LAS - MAN, two days off then two days of short/mid haul, with a 3-4 hour drive to LHR ether side... ?
Old Oct 28, 08, 5:14 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
with a 3-4 hour drive to LHR ether side... ?
In this context, 'commute' probably means by air to LHR.
Old Oct 28, 08, 5:17 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Gold, HHonors Silver, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer View Post
In this context, 'commute' probably means by air to LHR.
With the M40/M42/M6 being the way they are, it isn't worth the aggro of driving, you'd be pooped before you even went on duty.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: