Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

How can I be sure a shorthaul Y BD-only redemption gets upgraded to C?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How can I be sure a shorthaul Y BD-only redemption gets upgraded to C?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2008, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BD Gold (and future SEN), 0.2MM AA EXP, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingOnceMore
I think there's a few more now than say 18 months ago.

While OT for this thread, I would say though, that in 2008, not having 24 hour phone coverage is ridiculous. If they don't want to do it, at least US members should be able to redeem on the BD US phone line.
Amen. Not to mention that even UK-based passengers who are in Chicago aren't able to get CS except at less-than-ideal hours. I manage a team of developers in Russia and elsewhere in Eastern Europe, so at least a few times a week I'm awake until the wee hours here, but I can't imagine too many people voluntarily staying awake until midnight or later just to call for an award booking
Old Sep 8, 2008, 9:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
Originally Posted by cstead
You misunderstand friend 10am here in SFO is 6pm in London...I knew I was boozing it Friday night (and Saturday night) so my choice was website Friday afternoon my time (middle of the night in UK) or wait until Monday - and I know better than to wait and get burned by award inventory disappearing overnight...
Quite, don't want to lose the award.

The amateur comment was more based on you actually being with it, at 10am after a boozy night out. It really should have read,

"10am? you amateur, should be at least the afternoon before you're awake!"

Then again, that might be part of the reason I don't drink anymore

Originally Posted by cstead
I manage a team of developers in Russia and elsewhere in Eastern Europe, *so at least a few times a week I'm awake until the wee hours here...*
Snap ! , it's 04:25, and I'm working......with the Broncos @ Raiders game on in the background.

Last edited by FlyingOnceMore; Sep 8, 2008 at 9:51 pm
Old Sep 8, 2008, 10:10 pm
Original Poster

Snap ! , it's 04:25, and I'm working......with the Broncos @ Raiders game on in the background.
We're in the same boat...though its only 2108 now and this OAK-DEN game is horrible. I would kill for some proper football now First rounds on me when we meet - to the burning the oil!

While we've had some of the same problems, like PE ex. anywhere but MAN, the failures of the booking engine for ex. US tickets was embarrassing.
Was? It still is!!!

Last edited by cstead; Sep 8, 2008 at 10:54 pm
Old Sep 10, 2008, 3:15 pm

Programs: Ryanair PLATINUM : ) TK GOLD, AZ Gold, Radisson - gold,Marriott - gold
no you can t

no you can t

you can upgarde with a GUV only a revenue ticket

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Excuse me for being daft.. but can you upgrade an award? On BD, using the coupon?
Old Sep 10, 2008, 3:43 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by ambrogz
no you can t

you can upgarde with a GUV only a revenue ticket
Hmmm. Usually this situation doesn't arise, because when BD*Gs make redemptions from their own accounts, they are automatically upgraded and so don't need to use a GUV, though it is possible a BD*G could deliberately book their award into economy and then use a GUV, in order to save the higher APD.

The conditions of use state that it can be used '....when travelling on any bmi fare.....', and you can make of that what you will. I have certainly used a GUV in the past to upgrade a non-BD*G colleague travelling on their own economy award.

If anyone has had use of a GUV refused because they are travelling on a bmi economy award, or an award from another *A carrier, I will amend the FAQ accordingly.

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Sep 10, 2008 at 4:15 pm
Old Sep 10, 2008, 3:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
I have certainly used a GUV in the past to upgrade a non-BD*G colleague travelling on their own economy award.
I missed Guy Betsy's post up there. It was at least a couple of years ago, but yes I've used a GUV on a last minute domestic award. No C award seats left, Y revenue was a ridiculous price, so booked a Y award, three days out.

Asked to use a GUV in the Lounge, quick tap on the keyboard, all done. Must admit I didn't expect it to work, so was kinda surprised when it did.
Old Sep 10, 2008, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
The conditions of use state that it can be used '....when travelling on any bmi fare.....', and you can make of that what you will.
Don't BD awards have a fare basis too? Looking at the itinerary in MYB, my award is booked in IM6000. It seems like a plausible argument that its a "BMI Fare"...
Old Sep 13, 2008, 7:50 am

Programs: BA
It's worth reiterating and clarifying that if you use a GUV to upgrade from Y to C then you do not pay a higher APD tax. If you use the *G award benefit (book Y, get C) then you DO pay the higher APD tax.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.