FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   bmi | Diamond Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-diamond-club-486/)
-   -   Insane earnings on Egypt Air (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-diamond-club/861127-insane-earnings-egypt-air.html)

tlongdon Sep 3, 2008 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by Mofomat (Post 10304686)
Qatar business is good, much better than MS, but you DO NOT earn status miles on QR, only destination miles.

Yes, sorry, I didn't mean to throw in a goblet full of confusion.

The only reason I brought up QR is becase you get an excellent product, with destination only miles, for ticket prices which consistently come up 1/3rd cheaper than the cheapest *A airline, excluding MS (so comparing really only with Turkish and Austrian right now).

QR is indefatigably (is that a word?) no use helping *A status in any way.

henry999 Sep 3, 2008 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by tlongdon (Post 10307666)
QR is indefatigably (is that a word?) no use helping *A status in any way.

Sure, it's a perfectly good word. But ... it's not actually the word you want, since it means 'without getting tired'. :)

cheers,

Henry

tlongdon Sep 3, 2008 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by henry999 (Post 10309523)
Sure, it's a perfectly good word. But ... it's not actually the word you want, since it means 'without getting tired'. :)

cheers,

Henry

One could argue QR customer services do very little to make themselves tired :D

Raffles Sep 4, 2008 1:39 am

The new issue of Business Traveller has a small feature on EgyptAir - apparently they have a batch of 777's on order for delivery in 2010 which will only be 2-class but will have lie-flat (sloping) seats in J.

They are also attempting to persuade the Govt to lift the alcohol ban, although I wouldn't hold out too much hope on that one ....

o0herbie Sep 4, 2008 4:24 am

Flew JNB-LHR last night, and sitting at JNB was an A330 in Star Alliance livery with arabic on engines.

Paint work looked brand new and very spangly ^

highpeak1 Sep 4, 2008 6:37 am

Just pricing a J ticket for me to JNB later this month. Although I am starting in MAN, the fares and schedules are horrendous.
MS ex-LHR comes in with a £1,200 return LHR-CAI-JNB (on Expedia)! Next dearest is TP at £2,100. The usual suspects hover around the £2,800 mark. Egyptair either feel they have to discount heavily to overcome the dry issue, or they have a serious yield management issue. However, for all the price is good, I think TP will get my business.

Mofomat Sep 4, 2008 7:18 am

Originally Posted by highpeak1 (Post 10310566)
Just pricing a J ticket for me to JNB later this month. Although I am starting in MAN, the fares and schedules are horrendous.
MS ex-LHR comes in with a £1,200 return LHR-CAI-JNB (on Expedia)! Next dearest is TP at £2,100. The usual suspects hover around the £2,800 mark. Egyptair either feel they have to discount heavily to overcome the dry issue, or they have a serious yield management issue. However, for all the price is good, I think TP will get my business.

Why? The A332 MS use on the CAI-JNB route has nice J seats with 60" pitch. Far better than the 42" pitch on the 772's. Is TAP really worth GBP900 more?

Mr H Sep 4, 2008 8:36 am

Originally Posted by Raffles (Post 10309895)
They are also attempting to persuade the Govt to lift the alcohol ban, although I wouldn't hold out too much hope on that one ....

Unlikely to happen before Sunday then :rolleyes:

I guess I'll bring my own.

bertheike Sep 4, 2008 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by o0herbie (Post 10310173)
Flew JNB-LHR last night, and sitting at JNB was an A330 in Star Alliance livery with arabic on engines.

Paint work looked brand new and very spangly ^

Any pics from the cabin / seats ?
Are they better than the 777 2-3-2 42" config ?

Mofomat Sep 5, 2008 5:23 am

Originally Posted by bertheike (Post 10314672)

He didn't fly the Egyptair A332. He was flying JNB-LHR.

AND, if you look 2 posts up from yours I've already said that the A332 has more pitch and the newer seats compared to the 772. :rolleyes:

There are pics of the A332 seats out there, but I can't be bothered searching for them.

RAPC Sep 5, 2008 5:31 am

Originally Posted by bertheike (Post 10314672)

Try this report - looks like the seats you are after.

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...ad.main/73229/

tlongdon Sep 5, 2008 7:26 am

OT: Flightstats info wrong

Sorry to put this on the BMI page, but it relates to my MS booking mentioned earlier in the thread.

I'm due to fly in a couple of hours. Just double-checked on flighstats.com that the flight left PEK on time. It did (well, 15 minutes late, no probs). Shows ETA "on-time".

However, BKK-CAI showing as "Cancelled". La-wallah! So I just called Egyptair in BKK to see if the flight is cancelled. "No, it's on time. You can check in at 10".

Why do I trust everything I read on the interwebs? :D

o0herbie Sep 5, 2008 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by Mofomat (Post 10315462)
He didn't fly the Egyptair A332. He was flying JNB-LHR.

AND, if you look 2 posts up from yours I've already said that the A332 has more pitch and the newer seats compared to the 772. :rolleyes:

There are pics of the A332 seats out there, but I can't be bothered searching for them.

Quite right, and if you click on 'my flights' link, you'll see I was flying on SA236 in an A340-600 ^

...in Y :mad:

tlongdon Sep 6, 2008 12:16 pm

Insane Earnings. Insane Airline.

OK. I've just done it. I'm now in Paris smoking my pain away.

Read it here.

But please. For all that is Holy. Don't do it. Words... can't... describe... flames... at the side of my face... heaving breaths....

I need to lie down for a few days. I will be haunted in my dreams by Horus.

Rambuster Sep 6, 2008 3:24 pm

...if only my MS flight would actually post with BD, I'd be happier ...