Insane earnings on Egypt Air

Old Sep 1, 08, 11:48 am

Programs: PC Spire Amb, HH Diamond, A3 Gold, Cathay Gold
Originally Posted by Mr H View Post
Right now, MS seems to have a pretty poor reputation - both for in flight and ground services. But they seem to be trying to get up to a higher standard in a hurry and if they do, then CAI is potentially a useful hub. But unless people fly on their improved product (if/when it is available) and see their improved terminal (if/when it is ready) then they aren't going to change their reputation. Are they using intentionally high mileage gifts as an incentive to get people to have a look at their product?
I've been tempted and have booked travel in BKK-CAI-AMS in first and business next month. Don't think Cairo Terminal 3 will be ready yet from their website. Will post a TR to add to the limited stuff I've found online aside from Mr Sam Chui. The dry bit doesn't really bother me plus you can bring your own on apparently.

on a seperate note, the miles and more forum has a thread where M and M have adjusted their rewards rates on Turkish airlines in some cases down from 100% for some fares to 25% which might be the trend once MS gets newer planes and stock in future.
Old Sep 2, 08, 6:38 am

Programs: TK*S +SPG platinum, but not running behind status & points anymore! Now only book value for $
Originally Posted by Traveloguy View Post
KiwiFlyer, I expect the OP is not aware of them.

FWIW, I saw some fantastic MRs on UA/US ex-BUF only the other week which could have netted me close to this magic number (approx 20K miles for just over 600 USD). That said I was not interested in spending some 2 days stuck in an aluminum tube.
But that's exactly what Flying Lawyer said !
for aprox 20k miles you have to sit around 2 days in an " aluminium tube "
means for 100 k this are 10 days ( not funny )
And with this ticket you sit for 2 days in a bad F/C class, which is by far better than US/UA domestic !

So the 2. transfer is really not allowed and BKK-PEK can only be priced seperatly.
      While D class is available nearly every day, I found not a single seat in A class from today until 26 Dec. , and F class is around 3000 Euro !
      But also the D class special is not that bad. As this can also be booked from DUS for the same price we have the following milage

6448 * 4,25 * 2 = 54.808 miles until BKK for those over 55k
        total price EUR 1102.82 ( may be + a TSC )
        that's 2.01 Eurocent or 2.93 US cent per mile !
        And BKK-PEK is 2057 miles * 4,25 * 2 = 17.485 miles for another EUR 473.31

2,70 Eurcent / 3,95 US cent

** but there are F fares with MS starting in BKK ! 76130 THB to Germany and 93380 THB to JFK.
        ** !!! No SOTO ticket issuing !!!

Last edited by bertheike; Sep 2, 08 at 7:03 am
        Old Sep 2, 08, 6:42 am
        FlyerTalk Evangelist
        Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
        But you forget that BKK is actually quite a nice to visit!

I value BMI miles at 1.5p - 2p (3c-4c) each if used for a long-haul 'cash and miles' in J. And that is on very conservative grounds.

On that basis, if I was thinking about going to Thailand anyway, I would effectively be getting my Egyptair flight for free since the miles earned would effectively get me more than my fare in free flights later.

Of course, going to BKK simply to turn around again is madness. But after the Summer we've had in Britain the idea of a few days in Thailand in November / December for effectively nothing is appealing!
        Old Sep 2, 08, 7:02 am
        FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-LTP, TP-*G, HL-D, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
        MS in C is quite horrid. Try to get row 8, the first row otherwise the seat pitch is like 32". Really!
        Old Sep 2, 08, 7:24 am

Programs: TK*S +SPG platinum, but not running behind status & points anymore! Now only book value for $
        Originally Posted by Guy Betsy View Post
        MS in C is quite horrid. Try to get row 8, the first row otherwise the seat pitch is like 32". Really!
        read the following report from a professional photograph

http://www.samchuiphotos.com/EgyptAir/

scroll down to the last part and you see the actual business and also first seats. business has 42" and the first row a litle bit more.
        This is still better than flying with LH V/W/Q 32" which is around the same price, but by far less miles !!!
        Old Sep 2, 08, 7:40 am

Programs: AAexp, UA*G, HY LT Globalist, FB Plat, Centurion
        Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer View Post
        ok. So 2205 Euro (+ 300 Euro tax for the second ticket) buys you a not so F/C good trip to BKK and BEJ and a very good trip to SFO on LH F/C , right?
        Is FRA/SFO EUR2205 a published fare?
        Old Sep 2, 08, 7:48 am
        FlyerTalk Evangelist
        Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
        Originally Posted by SQPPS View Post
        He means that the miles you get for the 2205E Egyptair flight will get you a 'free' (taxes and charges will apply) reward flight on LH to SFO .....
        Old Sep 2, 08, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by SQPPS View Post
        He means the miles you earn with the first ticket, are enough to buy a 2. ticket as an award, where you only pay around 300 taxes. ( and sure this is not in F/C, it is in O/I )
        Old Sep 2, 08, 9:06 am
        Suspended

Originally Posted by bertheike View Post

scroll down to the last part and you see the actual business and also first seats. business has 42" and the first row a litle bit more.
        This is still better than flying with LH V/W/Q 32" which is around the same price, but by far less miles !!!
        If you don't want to go deaf I suggest wearing earplugs before clicking on that link.
        Old Sep 2, 08, 9:37 am
        tht

Programs: UA 1K 1.01 MM
        Originally Posted by Raffles View Post
        But you forget that BKK is actually quite a nice to visit!
        BKK in Thailand?

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/newsroom/la...ssR&id=5710542

Probably not somewhere I would fly in the medium term...

tht
        Old Sep 2, 08, 9:58 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Gold, HHonors Silver, Big White Season Pass
        Originally Posted by tht View Post
        Eventually the situation will be resolved, it won't drag on forever. There now looks to have been some sort of vote buying scam in last years election so the PM's days are probably numbered.

I'm in no hurry to cancel my flights for Christmas just yet (especially as I had such a hassle getting them in the first place).

The hotspots seem to be around Government House. As long as you stay clear of demos there shouldn't be too much to worry about.
        Old Sep 2, 08, 10:33 am

Programs: Yorkshire Coastliner
        Originally Posted by Mofomat View Post
        If you don't want to go deaf I suggest wearing earplugs before clicking on that link.
        And take something for your stomach before you look at the photos of the food dished up in the CA F Lounge at PEK
        Old Sep 2, 08, 10:48 am
        FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-LTP, TP-*G, HL-D, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
        Originally Posted by bertheike View Post

Well, it sure didn't look like 42" to me when I was on the CAI-BKK route last week ! It looked really more like 32"! The poor guy on one of the rows was all squished up when the person in front reclined in front of him... the only seats with slightly more leg room were the first rows. I was in F though!

I think eventually MS might just do away with F altogether and relaunch a better C class with hopefully flat seats.
        Old Sep 2, 08, 11:05 am

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
        Originally Posted by tht View Post
        BKK in Thailand?

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/newsroom/la...ssR&id=5710542

tht
        Writing from Bangkok.

Avoid a small part of the city and all is well here.

The locals are going about business as usual and I see no reason for tourists to do otherwise.

There are no terrorists wanting to blow things up or people wanting to target foreigners for violence. Things are safe.

------------------------------------

As for earning cheap BD miles by flying MS F class, the best fare on a cost/mile basis is the BKK-JFK fare beirtheik mentioned.

As for earning cheap BD miles, YUP fares pop up from time to time in the USA that yield a cost/BD mile of around 1.2 cents - when the routing rules are well understood and maximized.

I do agree flying long haul is far more comfortable.

Last edited by wanaflyforless; Sep 2, 08 at 11:22 am
        Old Sep 2, 08, 11:17 am

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
        Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer View Post
        The miracle is that interairline cost of BD miles must assumingly be somewhere in the range of 20 to 30 Dollar per 1000. No matter how many of these 100k miles are paid by BD and how many are paid by Egypt Air, the interairline cost for mileage is in the range of 2000 to 3000 Dollar for a 3000 Dollar ticket.
        The problem is your assumption. While I cannot tell you the exact $ figure, I can tell you with certaintly that Star Alliance carriers pay each other somewhere between .5 and 1 cents (US) to each other for miles. My guess is the figure is closer to .5

The largest airlines sell miles to credit card companies for around .8 cents/mile sold. They sell miles to retail partners for 1.2 - 2.5 cents/mile depending on the buying power of the retail partner.

Search this Thread
        Search Engine: