Insane earnings on Egypt Air

Old Aug 31, 08, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN, AB PLAT, BA Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, SPG Lifetime Platinum, IHG RA, Hyatt Globalist
47k miles through mileage runs in the US sounds to me like 78 short segments in Economy (600 miles each) or 18 segments JFK - SFO (2600 miles each) in Economy. Not very encouraging....

A US mileage run based on short segments is not the "normal thing to do" and it is (ab-) using the system. We will certainly see a drop of these minimum mileage or even no mileage for certain booking classes (as we see it on LH/LX). However, this is a premium class ticket and it is normal use of the system (you fly three segments on a boring, normal ticket).

The miracle is that interairline cost of BD miles must assumingly be somewhere in the range of 20 to 30 Dollar per 1000. No matter how many of these 100k miles are paid by BD and how many are paid by Egypt Air, the interairline cost for mileage is in the range of 2000 to 3000 Dollar for a 3000 Dollar ticket.
Old Aug 31, 08, 11:55 pm
Moderator, CoronaVirus and Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Flying Lawyer are you familiar with US-based YUP/QUP fares?

As for your interairline mileage cost figure I am certain it is much much less than that. 2 to 3 cents per mile is much higher than FFPs charge retail partners.
Old Sep 1, 08, 2:15 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily View Post
Yeah but you can't do that in a single year
20k for yourself, plus 80k 'gifted'...
Old Sep 1, 08, 3:41 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer View Post

As for your interairline mileage cost figure I am certain it is much much less than that. 2 to 3 cents per mile is much higher than FFPs charge retail partners.
KiwiFlyer, I expect the OP is not aware of them.

FWIW, I saw some fantastic MRs on UA/US ex-BUF only the other week which could have netted me close to this magic number (approx 20K miles for just over 600 USD). That said I was not interested in spending some 2 days stuck in an aluminum tube.
Old Sep 1, 08, 4:27 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer View Post
A US mileage run based on short segments is not the "normal thing to do" and it is (ab-) using the system.
Could you elaborate?
Old Sep 1, 08, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN, AB PLAT, BA Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, SPG Lifetime Platinum, IHG RA, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer View Post

Kiwi, I certainly am but A_Lee referred to Economy only:

This is no where near a good deal as far as many MRs go being you can find 3 cents per status mile deals on UA and/or US. Though it certainly is a very easy MR as most of the good deals are in Y.
I use these fares on AA to get my OW tier points, but a 1500 Dollar JFK-SFO fare on UA gets you (on 625% basis) about 32000 miles. An seriously: I prefer Egypt Air to US or AA.

My estimate for the interairline price for miles builds up on the cheapest Z-Class business fare for about 2k Euro incl. 16k miles. LH charges 90k miles for this. Might be less, bu I do not believe it is "by far" less.
Old Sep 1, 08, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ajamieson View Post
Could you elaborate?
Sure: The airlines give (gave) a certain number of miles even on the cheapest fares to get pax on the planes. In the old days, LH gave me 1250 miles even for the cheapest E-Class fare, somehow suicidal (they now reduced it to 125).

Doing 10 of these segments a day gave you plenty of miles, however, it was not using the system the way it meant to be - still fully legal, no doubt, but not the way the airline expects you to behave as a reasonable pax (however, as reasonable FT member ).

However, using the Egypt Air fare mentioned it not only fully legal, it is using the system excactly the way it is meant to be used by the airline. And this is what strikes me and lets me ask the question, how they do they economical math. This is not a MR but a normal air fare...
Old Sep 1, 08, 7:24 am

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
Right now, MS seems to have a pretty poor reputation - both for in flight and ground services. But they seem to be trying to get up to a higher standard in a hurry and if they do, then CAI is potentially a useful hub. But unless people fly on their improved product (if/when it is available) and see their improved terminal (if/when it is ready) then they aren't going to change their reputation. Are they using intentionally high mileage gifts as an incentive to get people to have a look at their product?
Old Sep 1, 08, 7:28 am
Suspended

Bit confussed with all this guys...

My cousin is getting married in south africa next april, eqypt want 1200 for a business class far...not really too keen on that as its US Air first seats, but if im going to get stupid miles for it then ill take it. On their website I cant work out how many miles ill get for LHR-JNB in business. Is it worth it? Any help?
Old Sep 1, 08, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SgtRyan View Post

My cousin is getting married in south africa next april, eqypt want 1200 for a business class far...not really too keen on that as its US Air first seats, but if im going to get stupid miles for it then ill take it. On their website I cant work out how many miles ill get for LHR-JNB in business. Is it worth it? Any help?
LHR-CAI-JNB is 6071 miles, so x2(business)x2(return)=24284.

Apart from seat comfort, bear in mind that MS is a dry airline, which may or may not be important to you.
Old Sep 1, 08, 7:35 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Gold, HHonors Silver, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by SgtRyan View Post

~24k if you book in C class. The extra 300 or so for F will get you about 32k
Old Sep 1, 08, 7:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tiger_lily View Post
~24k if you book in C class. The extra 300 or so for F will get you about 32k
Whats the difference between F and business on eqypt air?
Old Sep 1, 08, 7:42 am

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
I'm not sure they do F on CAI-JNB. I think this is on the A330 which is supposed to have very good business seats. I'm due to fly on it in a week's time so I'll be able to let people know.
Old Sep 1, 08, 7:46 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Gold, HHonors Silver, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by Mr H View Post
I'm not sure they do F on CAI-JNB. I think this is on the A330 which is supposed to have very good business seats. I'm due to fly on it in a week's time so I'll be able to let people know.
Sorry my bad. Kayak will quote for an F ticket, but it's F LHR-CAI on the 777 and then C on the 330 to JNB, so the difference in miles gained with the longer segment being in C probably isn't worth it.
Old Sep 1, 08, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The A330 C seats are similar in pitch, size, comfort etc to the old BD long haul C seats. Nice enough, but hardly world class.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: