Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

G-MEDE on LHR-LBA-LHR - mid-haul planes in funny places!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2008, 5:38 am
Original Poster

Well I had a nice surprise this morning walking down the airbridge to board BD411 LBA-LHR. I noticed the unusual paintwork on the plane and realised, rather than being the usual (and perfectly comfortable A319) it was one of the ex BMED planes, G-MEDE . A quick mental calculation (not easy when you've been up since 5:30) and I realised I was in the first six rows so should have a more comfortable seat than usual.

I boarded and took what was indeed a significantly larger and better pitch than usual seat for this flight, in the 2-2 formation. Don't get me wrong, the A319 (with its (quasi) leather comfy seats) is absolutely fine for a 40-60 minute journey, but this made for a nice start to the day.

The best bit was seeing the look of pleasant surprise on people's faces as they boarded, only for them then to do their own mental calculations and realise they weren't seated in the first six rows>

It wasn't till we were halfway through the journey that I suddenly realised the likely downside. A mid-haul plane on a domestic short haul route into LHR is likely to be a one-off rotation and going back to mid-haul, and therefore international, for its next trip - meaning we'd be likely to be arriving at an international gate and getting off onto buses. Correct Oh well, not the end of the world and I still made it to the Heathrow Express at 08:18.

I must say that, whilst comfortable, the seat was very wobbly and the plane was certainly showing its age. As others will realise, we de-boarded through the rear of the plane, so I had chance to see the Y seats at the back of the bus. Oh dear , they looked terrible and I certainly wouldn't have been happy to find myself in one of those, even for a short journey. It also reinforces the plan never to book one of those on a mid-haul in Y.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 7:38 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
This seems to becoming more and more common : yesterday there were mid-hauls (bmi and BMED) on flights to (at least) Jersey, Brussels, Manchester, Edinburgh, and there was one on the Dublin pier too when I passed through yesterday evening.

And, by the way, no less than 3 bmi embraers on the tarmac too, which is an interesting use of scarce slot capacity !
Old Jun 20, 2008, 8:02 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
A search for G-MED% on http://www.acarsd.org/acars_search.html makes interesting reading where the bmed birds are flying...
Old Jun 20, 2008, 4:01 pm

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
Originally Posted by oliver2002
A search for G-MED% on http://www.acarsd.org/acars_search.html makes interesting reading where the bmed birds are flying...
Wow!" That's an amazing website - and it's wonderful to see DUB turning up on the rotations so much.

I know BD is really pushing hard here for LON business, with EI having stepped in to LGW and BA having added LCY competition against WX. There were weak rumours of EI using an A330 to amalgamate a number of early morning flights - and I postulated that BD would have to do something to compete with a lie-flat bed!
Old Jun 21, 2008, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by GoldCircle
Wow!" That's an amazing website - and it's wonderful to see DUB turning up on the rotations so much.

I know BD is really pushing hard here for LON business, with EI having stepped in to LGW and BA having added LCY competition against WX. There were weak rumours of EI using an A330 to amalgamate a number of early morning flights - and I postulated that BD would have to do something to compete with a lie-flat bed!
LOL... yeah EI-DUO and EI-DUZ would be nice on the DUB-LHR route.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 2:24 am

She's certainly getting about : G-MEDE was on the BRU run this morning.

The BMED 320's show on OLCI with row 7 as the front row of Y, with this and row 8 being emergency exit rows.

I got 7F and IME wasn't the prime seat normally associated with being the front row of Y : a full-height partition in your face, a hard, uncomfortable seat with a plug in tray table : trolley service was delayed while the FA (who hadn't worked a BMED mid-haul before) went off a-huntin' for the tray table. Still, it allowed a bit more time for the toasties to cool....
Old Jun 30, 2008, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Cool tool ^

With a little educated guesswork, you can figure out which aircraft is likely to operate your flight. I have a date with Delta Yankee again tonight.
Old Feb 6, 2009, 8:16 am
AJO

Programs: BA | A3 | AFKL | Hertz | SPG | Avis
I just OLCI'd for tomorrow's BD104 (AMS-LHR; I have sequence number 001 ), and noticed the first row was blocked, and then 8 rows in which only ACDF seats were available... Will it be a mid haul aircraft? (I snagged 2A)
Old Feb 6, 2009, 2:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, ICH Plat, Radisson Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AJO
I just OLCI'd for tomorrow's BD104 (AMS-LHR; I have sequence number 001 ), and noticed the first row was blocked, and then 8 rows in which only ACDF seats were available... Will it be a mid haul aircraft? (I snagged 2A)
It certainly is ^
Old Feb 6, 2009, 2:40 pm
AJO

Originally Posted by bmi goldenboy
It certainly is ^
Superb; I'll make sure to keep the ol' camera close ^

Nice to see proper J on a route where J isn't even offered...

Last edited by AJO; Feb 6, 2009 at 3:13 pm
Old Feb 7, 2009, 12:10 pm

Programs: BA silver
I've had the pleasure on more than one occasion of delta yankee's hospitality on my journey home from MAN.....
That G&T does seem to taste much nicer!
No IFE though
Old Feb 7, 2009, 1:14 pm

It certainly is !....or was it ?

Originally Posted by AJO
Superb; I'll make sure to keep the ol' camera close ^
....for a picture of a bog-standard A319, perhaps ?

and Welcome To Flyertalk DELTA YANKEE ^^

I've, er, had you a few times too.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 2:26 pm
AJO

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
....for a picture of a bog-standard A319, perhaps ?
Yep, DBCH suddenly appeared
To make things worse, we arrived at a domestic gate, so we had to disembark through the rear door (very nice when you're in 2A )

Funny thing was that rows 1 through 9 still had the B and E seats empty.
Old Feb 7, 2009, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by AJO
Yep, DBCH suddenly appeared
To make things worse, we arrived at a domestic gate, so we had to disembark through the rear door (very nice when you're in 2A )

Funny thing was that rows 1 through 9 still had the B and E seats empty.
Ah well, next time eh ?

There's some advice in FAQ 2 which shows you exactly what to look for on OLCI to identify the mid-haul 320s and 321s : even the 321s only have 8 rows of the 2+2 C seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.