Wiki Posts
Search

8 pm Problem - agent hung up

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2008, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
8 pm Problem - agent hung up

I tried to make an award booking with bmi diamond club and in the middle of the reservation the agent just hung up at exactly 8pm UTC!
Old Apr 17, 2008, 7:01 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
This has been reported a few times... Did you get the agents name at beginning of call?

I had this happen once as well, at 8pm agent says 'can i put you on hold while i check something', and then hung up.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
They should get rid of this stupid ICC

Last edited by Wingnut; Apr 17, 2008 at 10:25 am Reason: removing breach of ToS
Old Apr 17, 2008, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
They should get rid of this stupid ICC
Riiiight. Thats an extreme response to what is really a fairly minor issue.

I'm no fan of off-shore call centres (although the Air New Zealand one for the UK market is very good, even though its usually about 4am for the agents when I call) but surely this is just a staff training or pay issue rather than a more general problem? Perhaps the outsourced provider doesn't pay overtime if a call goes after 8pm, or the employer-provided bus leaves right on time at 00.30 India time.

I've had great service phoning up for redemptions, although for revenue bookings I'll use the ticket desk at the airport or my travel agent if I can't book online.

Last edited by Wingnut; Apr 17, 2008 at 10:34 am Reason: removing ToS breach in quoted text, and thus making it less extreme...
Old Apr 17, 2008, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by modularmayhem
This has been reported a few times... Did you get the agents name at beginning of call?

I had this happen once as well, at 8pm agent says 'can i put you on hold while i check something', and then hung up.
Not really, as they do not really speak clearly when telling their name.

My second problem at the moment is, that they try to tell me that no seats are available eventhough KVS shows them and M&M coukd book then too.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 9:05 am

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
If you have a problem with the pronunciation/spelling of agent names, ask them to spell it for you. If they hang up, call again.

Award inventory released to different FFPs does vary. Just because M&M can access seats, does not mean they have also been released to DC. In general, the experience is that the ANA tool is about 90% accurate for bmi DC. I don't know about KVS or SeatCounter.

If no seats available, then no seats available. Or call again to be sure.

I have added the hang-up problem to the FAQ for future reference.

Last edited by GoldCircle; Apr 17, 2008 at 3:20 pm
Old Apr 17, 2008, 9:18 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
KVS uses your ANA login & pin to access the information so I think that you effectively see exactly what you would see in ANA just with a different front end.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GoldCircle
If you have a problem with the pronunciation/spelling of agent names, ask them to spell it for you. If they hang up, call again.

Award inventory released to different FFPs does vary. Just because M&M can access seats, does not mean they have also been released to DC. In general, the experience is that the ANA tool is about 90% accurate for bmi DC. I don't know about KVS or SeatCounter.

If no seats available, then no seats available.

Sometimes when they finally find the seat, they claim when they try to book it changes to waitlisted?
Old Apr 17, 2008, 12:08 pm

The same thing has happened to me more than once - it's totally inexcusable. The ICC has rubbish service and should be binned.

I've almost started wondering if they're told to disconnect people with large account balances in some twisted attempt to reduce costs
Old Apr 17, 2008, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by Fly Boy
I've almost started wondering if they're told to disconnect people with large account balances in some twisted attempt to reduce costs
I think its the other way round -- the people with large account balances actually show as a cost on the balance sheet so its in the airline's interest to reduce those balances by letting them spend the miles (AKA a liability to bmi) and spend some cash (miles+cash, or fuel surcharges etc)

So it would be *very* twisted if that was the intention.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 3:46 pm

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
On foot of this thread, and other on related subjects, I have added a brand new section in the bmi FAQ entitled "Do I need to know anything about the Indian Call Centre?"
Old Apr 17, 2008, 4:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It may not be the agents fault.

It may be a computerised system which automatically cuts off the lines at 8pm exactly?
Old May 14, 2008, 1:11 pm

Programs: BA Blue, BD*G, UA 3P, VS Silver
This is very annoying, and has just happened to me. Is there any way of finding out whether this is a computer/automated issue or just poor manners on behalf of the agent?
Old May 14, 2008, 1:12 pm

Programs: BA Blue, BD*G, UA 3P, VS Silver
Originally Posted by ajd184
This is very annoying, and has just happened to me. Is there any way of finding out whether this is a computer/automated issue or just poor manners on behalf of the agent?
fogot to say...midway through an award booking - i do hope the availability is still there in the morning!!
Old May 14, 2008, 6:23 pm

Programs: BD Gold (yes forever), BA Silver, Hilton Gold.
I think it is worth remembering that these people are not well paid and calling at the end of the day with something that is going to take time is not very fair. I bet BD don't pay them after 8pm so I don't blame them for wanting to go home after a long day rather than deal with someone's F class holiday plans for nothing.

I am not saying it should happen but i am not surprised that it does, I know damn well I'd be out of there the minute my shift was over. This would be solved by having a 24 hour call centre.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.