Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Call centre -- how long to hold for?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2008, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: *A "Top 1000 2015", FB Lifetime Plat.; BA Silver; Ma; Hilton Diamond.rriott Gold

53 minutes and counting...

should I just give up and try again later -- I thought the afternoon might be less busy than the evening?
Old Apr 10, 2008, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
If you have been waiting that long, they are not going to answer.
Hang up now, and call again.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 10:24 am

Programs: Ryanair PLATINUM : ) TK GOLD, AZ Gold, Radisson - gold,Marriott - gold
Question

it s much shorter when you are a gold member

i waited yesterday as a standard meber 75 min for advantage call centre and gave up
Old Apr 10, 2008, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: *A "Top 1000 2015", FB Lifetime Plat.; BA Silver; Ma; Hilton Diamond.rriott Gold
Originally Posted by ambrogz
it s much shorter when you are a gold member

i waited yesterday as a standard meber 75 min for advantage call centre and gave up
I AM Gold!! Called on the gold line (the 01332 ... one) -- I just gave up after 73 minutes ... trying again...
Old Apr 10, 2008, 10:43 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
In the interests of research, I just called the gold line and after the usual recorded intro, had my call answered in about 3 mins.

To celebrate I sorted out a seat request.

Sorry if I somehow nipped in ahead of anyone on hold.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RAPC
In the interests of research, I just called the gold line and after the usual recorded intro, had my call answered in about 3 mins.

To celebrate I sorted out a seat request.

Sorry if I somehow nipped in ahead of anyone on hold.
!!!!!

So why don't they answer me!! Are you calling on the 0870 number or the 01332 ("overseas") number...

--- hey they just answered!! after about 1 minute -- 4th time lucky...
Old Apr 10, 2008, 1:22 pm

The 0870 number.

In the past when I needed to speak to someone (last hour before it closed for the day) I was getting nowhere on hold, and tried a second line via Skype. That was answered pretty quickly, whilst my original call was still in the queue.

Don't ask me how their system manages to mess up that way, but it clearly does from time to time.

As has been suggested, sometimes it might be better to hang up and try again.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 1:51 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Leedsflyer
Are you calling on the 0870 number or the 01332 ("overseas") number...
Originally Posted by RAPC
The 0870 number.
Don't you mean the 0845 number instead

The Gold line number I have on my card is 0845 608 XXXX. The blue line number is the higher priced 0870.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by Jetstreamer

The Gold line number I have on my card is 0845 608 XXXX. The blue line number is the higher priced 0870.
Yes, the standard Gold Line one. I was just responding and repeated the number before me to mean the premium one. D'oh.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 9:10 am

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
Following this thread, I spoke to a friend who manages a call centre (not bmi's). His view was also that if you've not been picked up in 10-12 minutes or so, the's a good chance your call is "lost in orbit" and may very well not be picked up at all and that you'd be better off hanging up and starting again.

Experiences in both threads seem to mirror this.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 10:16 am

Programs: BA Silver
I can honestly say that in all my calls to the call centre at various times of day I have never held more than 1 minute. I always thought this was very impressive. Didn't realise I'd been so lucky!!
Old Apr 17, 2008, 10:19 am

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
I also just had this problem. 48 minutes on the phone then looked on this thread and decided to hang up and ring again. The the phone was answered in 2 and a half minutes. Booked the flight nice and smoothly! ^
Old Apr 17, 2008, 12:20 pm

3rd party call centres are notorious for bouncing calls and may sometimes also pick up without saying anything and then place the customer on hold. Depends what performance stats are expected of the workers. I've heard of such craziness happening at SITEL call centres so I can only imagine what they get up to in India
Old Apr 17, 2008, 3:41 pm

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
On foot of this thread, and other on related subjects, I have added a brand new section in the bmi FAQ entitled "Do I need to know anything about the Indian Call Centre?"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.