Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Connecting at ORD - A guide for connecting from BD705/With BD706

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Connecting at ORD - A guide for connecting from BD705/With BD706

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2008, 2:51 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Note that the SK lounge in T5 may be closed for renovations this spring, making the LX lounge standing room only at times.
Already had the refurb and it was open again when I when I passed through on Sunday. Normal service has been resumed ^
Old Jun 21, 2008, 2:41 am

My sister will be travelling LAX-ORD-MAN with the LAX-ORD codeshare sector BD4052 operated by UA (aka UA942). She only has 1-1/2 hours to connect from T1 to T5, which seems a little tight as original post suggests.

Is it possible to standby for an earlier LAX-ORD flight if you are holding a BD codeshare ticket? I believe BD4052/UA942 is the only BD-codeshare flight in the morning, so does that mean that she's stuck on the flight and cannot try for an earlier one?

And if you check in luggage, is it risky to go on standby since you may not know if your standby has cleared until you're at the boarding gate?

Thank you in advance!
Old Jun 21, 2008, 4:01 am

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
Originally Posted by aircam
Is it possible to standby for an earlier LAX-ORD flight if you are holding a BD codeshare ticket? I believe BD4052/UA942 is the only BD-codeshare flight in the morning, so does that mean that she's stuck on the flight and cannot try for an earlier one?

And if you check in luggage, is it risky to go on standby since you may not know if your standby has cleared until you're at the boarding gate?
90 minute connection is usually ok from T1-T5, provided there are no weather delays. However, standby on an earlier flight is no problem on UA, doesn't matter whether she's on a codeshare ticket. They have standard procedures for tagging standby baggage and loading these last, so that should not be an issue. Recommendation is to get to LAX early, if she doesn't mind hanging around at the airport - standby lists clear in strict order of being added to the list
Old Jun 21, 2008, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by kt74
standby lists clear in strict order of being added to the list
But by status first of course. Depending on the day of the week and the time of day it will vary a lot as to your chance of success standing by. With no status don't count on it, especially on a busy route like LAX-ORD.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 5:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
Looking at Flightaware, it seem to be a realitivly on-time departing/arriving service.

However that won't matter when stuck on the ground at LAX and you're wondering if "The Encounter" will take off before you do.

I would try to standby on a direct flight earlier on, but as you are aware, status and loads come into effect.

Off the top of my heads, its UGS (Global Services), 1K, 1P, *G, 2/3P, *S, GM (with revenue tickets in the middle somewhere to confuse things), but it can be a total crapshoot

There is a confirmed standby possiblity - you can ring UA and pay $75 to confirm this - see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ndby+confirmed. It depends how you like to play your luck, and the loads.

Keep an eye on seatcounter and expertflyer so you know your loads!

Last edited by Kevincm; Jun 21, 2008 at 5:10 am Reason: I hit post accidently. Bleeding computer....
Old Jun 21, 2008, 4:52 pm

Thank you for all the replies!

Well, she's got nil status and she's travelling on Thursday, July 24, so we'll see. I was checking UA's web site and it shows UA942 has 50% on-time performance, not that great. She usually takes AA on this route, at least with AA you don't have to switch terminals for domestic-international transfers. So I have to prep her for this slight inconvenience and hope she has a good experience on BMI and not get stuck in ORD.

Regarding checking in baggage, I remember standing by for ORD-LAX on UA, and while I was unsuccessful getting on the earlier flight (which was upgraded to 3-class 777 from 3-class 767, but I still had no luck), when I got to LAX I noticed my bag *did* get on and arrived before I did! I don't think that's supposed to happen but at least I got my bag.

Another question, when you switch from T1 to T5, if you already have a boarding pass for BD706 (issued at LAX), it it necessary to check-in again at T5 with BMI and swap for a new boarding pass, or can you just head straight for security?
Old Jun 21, 2008, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
Providing your luggage has been checked through, the UA Agent should be able to issue all the boarding passes back to MAN.

When you get to the gate (M15) at ORD, make sure you submit your passport for the APIS check, and also to surrender your I94-W conterdocument.

For a 1 hour 30 connection, I would move quickly and follow the signs to the ATS, take a train towards T5/Economy Car Park. Take either exit up and follow your nose to the hall of flags, then through security. Once clear, head left (for Gate M15) and you can check you've been loaded correctly, along with your luggage.

As this is a listed UA/BD Codeshare connection, you should make it ok.

Bon Chance!
Old Aug 15, 2008, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Note that the SK lounge in T5 may be closed for renovations this spring, making the LX lounge standing room only at times.
Any news on whether the SK lounge has re-opened? I'm passing through with the family (all on C redemptions) on the BD706 in September and would appreciate advice on which lounge to use?

Edited: Sorry, just spotted post #16.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.