FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   bmi | Diamond Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-diamond-club-486/)
-   -   BD706 Cancelled Last Night (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-diamond-club/770861-bd706-cancelled-last-night.html)

Brooklyn-LGA-Flyer Dec 22, 2007 1:34 am

BD706 Cancelled Last Night

The BD706 was canceled last night by the looks of things. Arrived into ORD OK but was canceled for the return. Todays 705 now zeroed out but still showing as on time as is the BGI. One of them will be canceled soon if the aircraft is not here!

Anyone know what caused the cancellation? I'm on the 705 tomorrow...

gbsfo Dec 22, 2007 6:10 am

I was on 706 last night. Got to ORD from SFO via UA, schlepped over to T5 with cases and all only to see it was canceled. I never got told a reason from the horses mouth so to speak, but other pax who made it to the gate said something about an engine problem.

So, back out to the desk, rebooked on UA via LHR where I am sat now waiting for my flight to Manchester.

I was actually pretty impressed with the way bmi handled it at ORD, no quibbles about rebooking on whatever carrier they could find space on. Willing to try all routes I mentioned FRA, AMS, MUC, CDG etc etc to get us here.

Anyone know what the EU rules are on getting you to your destination within a certain time? I'm going to be at MAN about 12 hrs after I should have been.

-gbsfo

mad_rich Dec 22, 2007 7:38 am

http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?ca...90&pageid=4407

Looks like you've hit the jackpot - €600 - unless it was extraordinary circumstances.

gbsfo Dec 22, 2007 7:55 am

There were two of us so I hope thats x2 :D

Anyways, I've read all sorts of stuff here on FT about enforcement of this EU rule. It appears the airlines are trying to classify mech as extraordinary circumstance, which to me is total BS. Weather..ATC etc ok. Mech...hmmmm.

They didn't even give us a food voucher in ORD last night 6:55 706 and ended up on 9:14 UA938. I mentioned this to the great BD agent here in the lounge and he gave us a food voucher for Heathrow, given we have a 7 hr layover here.

I'm not really that upset with bmi. They've been pretty good about the whole thing, except the little things like handing out notices and making people aware of their rights under EU law :rolleyes:

If it wasn't for FT I would have done the typical Brit stiff upper lip gag and just take it. Honestly, I bet 95%+ of pax walked away from the BD/SAS check-in in ORD last night completely clueless about any EU regulations.

Now surely that in and of itself is a breach of said EU regs?

My current thinking is, submit a claim and if I get anything its a bonus.

-gbsfo

Brooklyn-LGA-Flyer Dec 22, 2007 9:10 am

Ah dodgy donkey again. That's what I feared... Thanks for the info!

I too have been on the end of a bmi cx due to tech reasons. Sorry to say this but you have more chance of making 600 euro busking for your 7hr layover in LHR tube station than bmi paying it to you :D:D Unfortunately tech problems are classed (by the airlines anyway) as a safety related cancellation and therefore extraordinary circumstances. I did get a few 000 miles though to soften the blow so a letter is worth a go.

Sounds like they made a very early decision to cancel so it must be a definite (known) problem requiring, I guess, parts to be flown in.

Fingers crossed for tonights flight!

Oxon Flyer Dec 22, 2007 9:42 am

G-WWBM again, seems to be developing a bit of a reputation for sick engines.

RAPC Dec 22, 2007 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer (Post 8940238)
G-WWBM again, seems to be developing a bit of a reputation for sick engines.

Indeed it is - that's 3 times in the past 4 or 5 weeks that it has gone tech with a sick engine I believe.

It is the reason why we are going to ORD (and onwards to ATL) via ZRH and back via FRA later this month. Availability opened up on our dates for the BMI flights a few days ago, but Mrs RAPC wouldn't entertain the switch on our award tickets in case it went down sick again.

Sorry to hear about those of you affected by this in ORD or MAN. Hopefully the magic spanners will be applied to the plane and sort it once and for all.

Internaut Dec 23, 2007 8:24 am

A colleague was on the BD flight of Chicago on Friday night and I (fortunately for once) found myself on the corresponding AA flight (yes, complete with staid décor, none existent entertainment and frumpy FAs). Both connecting flights from DFW were very late due to fog and I understand a lot of flights both in and out of Chicago were simply cancelled. So, the BD flight may have had a weather related cancellation because they couldn't give it a slot?

BTW, I'm going back to Dallas on January 2nd, this time with BD (time to see if those Gold upgrade vouchers are still usable) but having an aircraft that keeps going tech with engine problems is a bit of a worry....

Markieg Dec 23, 2007 3:17 pm

"gold upgrade vouchers" ???
tell more...