Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Heathrow - Cairo from October 28th

Heathrow - Cairo from October 28th

Old Jul 18, 07, 4:18 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Gold, Marriott Lifetime Premier Platinum
Since most of the crew are inherited from BMED (and I can't see them mixing the existing rosters just yet) then I think it will be more of a surprise for those visiting LBA or ABZ to be honest

Besides, most BD short-haul nightstops disappeared a long time ago...
Old Jul 18, 07, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Nigel
Nigel Turner, bmi chief executive officer said: “The introduction of new competition onto routes has historically invigorated markets ..."
Whoever said that NT did not have a sense of humour? What he forgot to say is that the introduction of competition onto routes has historically resulted in bmi withdrawing from the route as they suddenly discovered much to their surprise that greater competition created a downward pressure on fares and that they could not make a decent profit on it after all. BOM anyone?
Old Jul 18, 07, 5:20 am

Programs: ME, EK, LH, IC
Good news for Beirut and certainly looks like a better schedule compared with the current BA schedule, but that Wednesday flight from LHR to BEY gets a "thumbs down" from me... Still, I've got 6 other days during the week to plan my travel
Old Jul 18, 07, 5:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Gold, AF Gold, AA; Marriott Silver, PC Platinum, Hilton Gold
Does anyone know if this LHR - CAI route is considered short haul or long haul for mileage purpose?

The cheapest fare of 299 seems to book into N class, which earns 25% if longhaul, or 50% as shorthaul (the next class up T seems to be the same). However, if you click fare type on the booking screen, it's suggesting you get 100% miles.

Will they be releasing award seats on this route soon? I see you can already book revenue tickets now, but the destination is not shown for award tickets yet.
Old Jul 18, 07, 5:27 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Gold, Marriott Lifetime Premier Platinum
I see that Egyptair has a daily 777 operating from LHR T3. Will this swap to T1 to match BD or will there just be inconvenience and confusion? (Let me guess...)

And forgive me, is mid-haul treated as long-haul in the Diamond Club earnings table? Promotional fares to CAI don't look that great for mileage earning, but there might be some opportunities once the ex-CAI fares are loaded.
Old Jul 18, 07, 5:35 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Clicking on the 'more info' when looking at the fares, it shows the promotion and all other various economy fares as earning 100% of miles.

I'd assume this was correct, but it'll be one for Diamond Club to confirm.
Old Jul 18, 07, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ajamieson View Post
I see that Egyptair has a daily 777 operating from LHR T3. Will this swap to T1 to match BD or will there just be inconvenience and confusion? (Let me guess...)
Presumably like QR, i.e. staying at T3, at least until they start shuffling everybody around next year.
Old Jul 18, 07, 5:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Gold, AF Gold, AA; Marriott Silver, PC Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by whkchan View Post
Does anyone know if this LHR - CAI route is considered short haul or long haul for mileage purpose?

The cheapest fare of 299 seems to book into N class, which earns 25% if longhaul, or 50% as shorthaul (the next class up T seems to be the same). However, if you click fare type on the booking screen, it's suggesting you get 100% miles.

Will they be releasing award seats on this route soon? I see you can already book revenue tickets now, but the destination is not shown for award tickets yet.
Sorry for quoting myself, I posted too quickly. I just checked ANA and the award seats have in fact been loaded. In fact, they are already avaialble for the days I want...

In a bit of dilemma now:

1. Pay 300, and get a bunch of miles, and hope we can use the gold vouchers on the day, or

2. Redeem in J, but no miles...
Zone 1 to Zone 4 is 40k, or 20k + 140. As gold members, I guess we can redeem J but pay Y. Taxes and charges are apparently 147.5!! (I guess 40 more for redemption in J).

Hmm, it's hard to decide. It's between miles (gained) vs guaranteed J...

(I notice zone 2 to zone 5 costs only 30k, but the extra repositioning flights make it not worth it...)
Old Jul 18, 07, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by RAPC View Post
Clicking on the 'more info' when looking at the fares, it shows the promotion and all other various economy fares as earning 100% of miles.
Sure, but when you click through to pre-booking you get a fare basis which tells you otherwise. This happens on MAN-ORD sometimes too - a potential trap for the unwary...
Old Jul 18, 07, 5:58 am

Sure, but when you click through to pre-booking you get a fare basis which tells you otherwise. This happens on MAN-ORD sometimes too - a potential trap for the unwary...
Okay, assuming that screen is incorrect. Booking class N - will we get 25% or 50% miles? Is this considered longhaul?
Old Jul 18, 07, 6:11 am

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue
Originally Posted by whkchan View Post
Okay, assuming that screen is incorrect. Booking class N - will we get 25% or 50% miles? Is this considered longhaul?
N class on the DME route gets 25%.
Old Jul 18, 07, 6:12 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Ok, for a bit of fun I have just spoken to the Indian call centre. They say that their system says 100% miles most definitely on all fares LHR - CAI.

So probably not then - definitely a case for the ever marvellous Joanna to confirm either way.
Old Jul 18, 07, 9:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
I might just be being my usual cynical self, but I can't help but think that flybmi.com is going to be one stressful place to book a lot of this in the next few months.

Last edited by FlyingOnceMore; Jul 18, 07 at 9:08 am
Old Jul 18, 07, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Since most of the crew are inherited from BMED (and I can't see them mixing the existing rosters just yet) then I think it will be more of a surprise for those visiting LBA or ABZ to be honest
Leeds, Yerevan, Aberdeen, Tehran... its all much of a muchness really
Old Jul 18, 07, 5:10 pm

I clicked on "compare fare type" just now. It now says, for promotion fare:

Changes: Moscow - not permitted
Cairo - 50 per person per change, plus fare difference
(which is the same as economy)
FF miles: yes, 50%

It's still wrong, unless N class now earns 50%...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: