Wiki Posts
Search

Does BMI still status match?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2008, 10:38 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Lifetime status match?

Soon to be relocating to the UK.

I could keep enjoying all the bene's of OneWorld Emerald (top tier, as an AA EXP) for another two years, and Lifetime OneWorld Sapphire (as a AA Lifetime Platinum) beyond that, via British Airways, Iberia, Malev, etc.

But, from what I can read, BMI is interested in luring UK customers away from BA. So, what's involved in said luring?

Does BMI match another airline's/alliance's LIFETIME status?

Pending that,
Would BMI match another airline's/alliances TOP-TIER status?
IF a BMI top tier doesn't requal, is there a SOFT LANDING to the next tier down or is it a drop to the bottom?

(Yeah, I've been reading thru the status match threads and the BMI threads I could find, and yeah, I'll shamelessly admit my complete cluelessness about *A and BMI...as I think it's my one & only post to date in a Star Alliance thread of any kind )

Last edited by skye1; Jun 9, 2008 at 10:47 pm
Old Jun 10, 2008, 3:28 am

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
Originally Posted by skye1
Would BMI match another airline's/alliances TOP-TIER status?
IF a BMI top tier doesn't requal, is there a SOFT LANDING to the next tier down or is it a drop to the bottom?
Yes, they will match your top tier status, especially if you point out you're moving to the uk. And yes, there is a soft landing, not that you'll be needing it, eh?
Old Jun 10, 2008, 4:59 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
Does BMI match another airline's/alliance's LIFETIME status?
I'd wager a small amount of money on them never giving away lifetime status as a match. Why would you reward people who have had an enormous loyalty to another airline alliance with lifetime status for free It's an entirely different proposition than the 'normal' status match, which will only last for a relatively short period.

I would expect them to do a 'normal' status match, the fact that they are matching it from a normal or lifetime status level shouldn't make any difference.
Old Jun 10, 2008, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I would wager a very large amount of money on them not giving away lifetime status. The whole point of a status match is to not disadvantage you in terms of lounge access etc whilst you build up your status in that programme through flying with them ....

Anyway, a decent status match can last a decent part of lifetime anyway! I got a Lufthansa Senator (Gold) match in March 2005 which got me Gold to February 2008 (status expires 2 years from the Feb after you achieve it) followed by a soft landing to Silver which runs until Feb 2010. I'll have basically had almost 5 years of benefits from it. Hopefully LH will repeat this scheme at some point ....
Old Jun 10, 2008, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
...Does BMI match another airline's/alliance's LIFETIME status?

Pending that,
Would BMI match another airline's/alliances TOP-TIER status?...
BMI matched my AA status - at the time, Platinum plus recently-expired EXP, both of which I sent them - with bmi Gold. I followed the procedures discussed further up in this thread.

Keep in mind that bmi Gold, while its top tier, corresponds more closely to AA Platinum than EXP. The earning requirements are fairly similar - indeed, lower if you fly paid F/J. Also, it gives you *A Gold, which is its top tier - but *A only has two tiers, and *A Gold corresponds more or less to OW Sapphire. You get it, for example, with UA mid-tier status, which corresponds closely to AA Platinum. *A has nothing corresponding to OW Emerald with F lounge access and such.

(I agree with the previous posters who said it's highly unlikely that bmi would give lifetime status in this situation. If I thought they would I'd ask for it, but if I were bmi management, I'd say "no." After all, the reason airlines offer it is as a carrot to get people to fly enough to reach it.)
Old Jun 23, 2008, 7:37 pm

Programs: BA SILVER HH GOLD MR GOLD
Will Diamond Club match status

Apologies if this is a previously asked question but the only reference I could find was over a year old.

I have BA Silver status would Diamond Club still match this (I have just joined Diamond Club) or are those days gone?
Old Jul 20, 2008, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Yes, if you are departing on a Star Alliance flight.
I'm not sure I understand this right. I'm an AA PLT and I have a few domestic flights on United coming up. I don't want to waste a status match on United, but can I just get a status match to BMI and I will have *A gold? Does that mean that I can use all domestic lounges like Red Carpet Club?
Old Jul 20, 2008, 10:54 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by mbmiles88
I'm not sure I understand this right. I'm an AA PLT and I have a few domestic flights on United coming up. I don't want to waste a status match on United, but can I just get a status match to BMI and I will have *A gold? Does that mean that I can use all domestic lounges like Red Carpet Club?
Given that they would match you to BD *G (e.g. from AA PLAT or AA EXP) then yes with BD *G you would be admitted to the Red Carpet clubs in the US. As a UA Elite not IIRC. Funny twist there as I think UA makes you buy Red Carpet Club access if you are UA elite. Matching to BD will do, however; if no flights come in BD *G will last for a year only.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by demue
Given that they would match you to BD *G (e.g. from AA PLAT or AA EXP) then yes with BD *G you would be admitted to the Red Carpet clubs in the US. As a UA Elite not IIRC. Funny twist there as I think UA makes you buy Red Carpet Club access if you are UA elite. Matching to BD will do, however; if no flights come in BD *G will last for a year only.
Thanks demue.

That's what confused me, because I thought that a UA *G member who has *G status couldn't access Red Carpet Clubs, so I just wanted to clarify that a BD *G member flying domestically in the US can access Red Carpet Clubs?
Old Jul 21, 2008, 1:20 am

That's what confused me, because I thought that a UA *G member who has *G status couldn't access Red Carpet Clubs, so I just wanted to clarify that a BD *G member flying domestically in the US can access Red Carpet Clubs?
That's right. UA and US *G are restricted from lounge access in the USA on domestic itineraries; other *G (e.g., BD) are not.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 1:38 am

Originally Posted by jjpb3
That's right. UA and US *G are restricted from lounge access in the USA on domestic itineraries; other *G (e.g., BD) are not.
OK, that's great so that means as a BD *G I can access both Red Carpet Clubs and US Airways Clubs when traveling domestically in the United States. Are there any other benefits that I would have travelling domestically on United or US Airways with BD *G such as upgrades, etc.?
Old Jul 21, 2008, 2:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
I recently recommended a colleague who is AA Gold (or better WAS before AADER) to request a status match with BMI and said they would match her to Silver ?

Is there any experience with that ? Just want to make sure I gave her correct information
Old Jul 21, 2008, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
OK, that's great so that means as a BD *G I can access both Red Carpet Clubs and US Airways Clubs when traveling domestically in the United States. Are there any other benefits that I would have travelling domestically on United or US Airways with BD *G such as upgrades, etc.?
No bag fees AFAIK and the occasional bump to E+ on UA if the agent is in a good mood (rare at UA).
Old Jul 21, 2008, 2:28 am
AJO

Programs: BA | A3 | AFKL | Hertz | SPG | Avis
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
I recently recommended a colleague who is AA Gold (or better WAS before AADER) to request a status match with BMI and said they would match her to Silver ?

Is there any experience with that ? Just want to make sure I gave her correct information
bmi Silver would be the level to match an AA Gold to, because Gold is AAs lowest status level IIRC. An AA PLT or EXP would get bmi Gold.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 3:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold, AF Gold, LH Senator, HHonors Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver, SPG Gold
bmi status match - BA Executive Club

Not sure about AA, but last week bmi matched my partners' BA silver card with bmi Silver... sent an email with a screen capture of the BA account details and within a few days... silver card in the mailbox!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.