Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

A new tier for Diamond Club - BLUE PLUS!

Old Feb 28, 2007, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,

This is a busy day for BD:

bmi, London Heathrow’s second largest airline, is to launch a new customer initiative focusing on the business traveller following eight months of consultation and feedback with both customers and staff.

The initiative, which goes live on 2 April, will see the introduction of an improved offering and product for the airline’s most loyal customers – diamond club members.

While a paid-for in-flight catering service will remain a feature of mainline services from Heathrow, all diamond club members* will be entitled to complimentary food and drink onboard, priority seating towards the front of the aircraft and will continue to enjoy the benefits of one of the UK’s most generous frequent flyer programmes, through the lounge network and rewards scheme.

Under the new initiative diamond club will see the introduction of a new tier – blue plus – which is automatically awarded once 3,000 status miles have been earned in a 12 month period. Holders of blue plus, silver and gold cards will receive the complimentary in-flight meal as well all other diamond club benefits.

Nigel Turner, bmi chief executive officer, said: “We know that our most important customers are frequent flyers who often travel with us on business – a group that makes up a considerable proportion of our total passengers. They are looking for value for money, friendly welcoming service and want to be recognised and rewarded. Our new initiative delivers on all these points as well as helping to set out the future direction of the company, building on key strengths such as market-leading punctuality and a quick and efficient airport experience.

“Whilst our focus is on the business traveller we will continue to apply our ‘making travelling a pleasure’ ethos to all our passengers, whatever their purpose of travel. Customer feedback shows us time and time again that our people make bmi the preferred choice of airline, and significant investment in ongoing training will ensure that continues to be the case for all our customers.

“The airline industry has been through a period of massive change in the past five years – a process that continues today. By developing and evolving our products and services we can ensure we continue to meet and exceed the expectations of our customers and remain competitive in the marketplace.”

The frequent flyer programme will now be made up of four membership levels – blue, blue plus, silver and gold. Every time a flight is taken with bmi or a Star Alliance carrier, membership status miles and destinations miles are earned. Membership status miles build towards higher status, while destinations miles can be spent on award flights to hundreds of worldwide destinations with bmi and Star Alliance partners, or spent on anything from hotels to car hire

* any existing holders of the standard blue diamond club card will automatically be sent a blue plus card if 3,000 status miles have been earned in the past 12 months. Any new diamond club members earning 3,000 status miles in a 12 month period will also earn blue plus status. Members have to keep flying and earning status miles in each membership year to retain their status level
Old Feb 28, 2007, 7:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
Very interesting. Could it be that consultants are coming up with some good ideas as Donnington?
Old Feb 28, 2007, 7:40 am

Programs: LH SEN
I nearly spilt my Boddingtons over the keyboard reading this in the LHR domestic lounge. Nice idea, what about non B+ members or even other *A eite members? Can I get a snack for my wife even if she's not BD? It's going to be interesting to see how they operate the scheme.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
What about a Platinum tier for those that get way way way above the 38,000 needed.

Thing is - what benefits could you give?
Old Feb 28, 2007, 7:41 am

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Does just sound like they've done some renaming:
Blue Tier renamed to Blue Plus
Temporary Card (aka virtual card) renamed to Blue
Old Feb 28, 2007, 7:42 am

Programs: BA Silver, TK Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Plat AMB
deleted!

Last edited by Boddingtons; Mar 9, 2007 at 6:24 am
Old Feb 28, 2007, 7:43 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA Plat Exec, Hilton Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador & Marriott Plat
Nigel has at last listened. This sounds like a great improvement. I wait to see the execution for other *A S & G holders and spouses/travelling companions. However I am sure with the right planning and execution it could include acompanying passeger (family members).
Old Feb 28, 2007, 7:44 am

deleted!

Old Feb 28, 2007, 7:47 am

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Perhaps we should all band together to set up our own airline loyalty consultancy

I wonder if a look at the most frequent forum IP addresses here will indicate whether a certain consultancy has been viewing us regularly?? Or has the advice they gave been somewhat common sense?
Old Feb 28, 2007, 7:49 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
This is rather like the old Qualiflyer basic tier. Didn't that even get you lounge access at some airports?

KL used to have a Blue Plus, but I think that was effectively paid-for Silver.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 7:51 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket
What about a Platinum tier for those that get way way way above the 38,000 needed.

Thing is - what benefits could you give?
No blackout dates on award redemptions.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Note "THE complimentary inflight meal". This sounds a bit like a return to normal catering (ie no Kit-Kats to buy, just 1 or 2 choices of main course) except that some passengers will have to pay and some won't.

They are looking for value for money, friendly welcoming service and want to be recognised and rewarded.

No - they are looking for recognition that after spending £400 on a lastminute ticket we do not want to fumble for change to buy a coffee and sandwich plus waste time claiming it on expenses later
Old Feb 28, 2007, 7:54 am

deleted!

Old Feb 28, 2007, 7:56 am

deleted!

Last edited by Boddingtons; Mar 9, 2007 at 6:23 am
Old Feb 28, 2007, 7:57 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by jbfield
Perhaps we should all band together to set up our own airline loyalty consultancy

I wonder if a look at the most frequent forum IP addresses here will indicate whether a certain consultancy has been viewing us regularly?? Or has the advice they gave been somewhat common sense?
Not sure about the existing consultancy relationships, but as far as I know, the new agency that they were in the process of hiring a month or two ago is only just being appointed, so they can't take the credit for that.

It may just be that the senior management of BMI have been doing their jobs properly and have come up with a coherent plan going forward.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.