Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bmi Buys Bmed Confirmed

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2007, 6:34 am

Programs: BA Silver, FB Plat, Accor Gold, IHG Gold, Wyndham Rewards Gold, BW Gold
I'm a little surprised at everyone's enthusiasm. BMed is a loss-making airline, isn't it? And that's even before it goes modular.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 7:28 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rangerss75
I'm a little surprised at everyone's enthusiasm. BMed is a loss-making airline, isn't it? And that's even before it goes modular.
I believe last year it made £10M so whilst not a great profit, certainly not a loss either.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 7:48 am

Programs: BA Silver, FB Plat, Accor Gold, IHG Gold, Wyndham Rewards Gold, BW Gold
Originally Posted by Traveloguy
I believe last year it made £10M so whilst not a great profit, certainly not a loss either.
Then it is good news. I had got hold of the wrong end of something, as I frequently do.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 9:19 am

Programs: QF WP & PG (OWE), BA Gold S/LH H/AF/Marriott Plt/ Hertz #1 Gold
Will, here were you went wrong my friend BMed is not aloes making airline but it was BA who vampired  the small established airline as far as I know last year BMed gave BA £14M for the franchise, now with Bmi controlling the airline and ending the franchise agreement (which means tickets revenue will go also to Bmi without BA sharing each and every ticket, if Bmed keep the key role stations(AMM,BEY,BKU,THR) and enlarge them, organize the network and even open its own sales offices in those cities it will be blooming for the airline -and it will make at least £35 profit- god bless all people at BMII
Old Feb 9, 2007, 9:43 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Indeed it is, my friend.
Quote from the Financial Times of 6 February :

"Mr Richardson said last month that BMed was expected to make a pre-tax loss of more than £15m in the year to the end of March - its second successive year of losses"

Its actually the bmi group that made the profit of £10million (in 2005, on Turnover of £869million)

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Feb 9, 2007 at 9:48 am
Old Feb 9, 2007, 9:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by Traveloguy
I agree.

Also, I believe there is a lot of untapped potential on the routes that BMed flies. First, although demand is healthy in the countries BMED serves, there is an unwillingness by the UK, Canada and usa to issue visa's to may legitimate travelers from those countries. The UK requires transit visas for citizens of some of the countries served by BMED just for connecting in the UK.

Diplomatic isolation, trade sanctions, the threat of war and a hyped up terror threat has limited travel to many BMED destinations to diaspora travelers, adventurers and a trickle of business-persons. Also, I don't think many travelers are crazy about sitting in a narrowbody jet for 5 - 8 hours (including boarding and taxi time in the UK).

Last edited by PhlyingRPh; Feb 9, 2007 at 9:52 am
Old Feb 9, 2007, 9:51 am

Programs: AA 0.4MM, BA G, LH SEN,TK S, HH Dia, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
Also, I don't think many travelers about sitting in a narrowbody jet for 5 - 8 hours (including boarding and taxi time in the UK).
If CO, AA, DL can get away flying over the pond on 757s, sure people will do it on these medium-haul routes!
Old Feb 9, 2007, 9:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by MACH81
If CO, AA, DL can get away flying over the pond on 757s, sure people will do it on these medium-haul routes!

Sure, it can be done and many people either don't care or resign themselves to it, but judging by many of the posts on the subject of transatlantic 757's, many savvy travelers (esp. those seated in Y) are really not happy about it and I'm sure a good number fly other airlines as a result.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 10:49 am

Hi,

Does anyone know what will happen to the Central Asia routes and latest additions ESB,FNA and DKR?

Thx
Old Feb 9, 2007, 4:08 pm

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Originally Posted by Business Traveller.com
Bmed became a BA franchise in 1997. In previous years the carrier was profitable. But more recently it has been hit by higher oil prices and the conflict in the Lebanon which affected passenger numbers.

According to a report in The Daily Telegraph, Bmed is set to lose £21 million in this financial year. Part of the loss includes the franchise fee of three per cent of turnover payable to BA for the right to use its livery, airport facilities, booking systems and so on.
http://www.businesstraveller.com/def...4&LS=EMS118864
Old Feb 9, 2007, 10:51 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by PhlyingRPh
Sure, it can be done and many people either don't care or resign themselves to it, but judging by many of the posts on the subject of transatlantic 757's, many savvy travelers (esp. those seated in Y) are really not happy about it and I'm sure a good number fly other airlines as a result.
Don't get me started on being confined to a 757 across the big pond. I "tolerate" them.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 1:09 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I don't know, depends on the route, class and aircraft, I suppose. When I went to TAS, I did the AF Dedicate service on CDG-TAS in C, and found it excellent. This was in an A319LR.

I suspect it would be less inviting in a packed Y. But then, there's countless US transcons in 757s, 737s, A320s and the like: I've just come back from a 4h30 ORD-SAN experience in UA's E- and lived to tell the tale!
Old Feb 12, 2007, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The J cabins on BMed are very civilised, and perfectly acceptable for a 5-6 hour day flight. They only start to look poor when it is a 9 hour overnight with a stopover somewhere random like Ekaterinburg.
Old Feb 21, 2007, 4:39 am

Programs: BA Blue. 19695 Lifetime TPs
Originally Posted by bmibmed
Baku my friend is the 3rd stn which Bmi-BMed possibly (BMII) will keep open after AMM and BEY .
Since when was Baku in Central Asia ?????
Old Feb 21, 2007, 4:49 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fraisse10
Since when was Baku in Central Asia ?????
Since Baku exists within Azerbaijan which exists within Central Asia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Asia

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.