Why Fly BA?

Old Jan 23, 2007, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: not a lot
Why Fly BA?

Why would anyone want to Fly BA for domestic flights in this country?

My last Flight on BD was LHR-EDI on Thursday 18th Jan. No BA flights flying out on that route due to the weather. How come BD managed it?

My flight prior to that one was LHR-EDI on Wednesday 20th Dec. The fog day. Again out on BMI with a short delay - no BA flying again.

I am flying Monday from EDI-LTN on EZY because I can't get on the BD flight I need and LTN's in the right area for me. Funnily enough no BA flying that day either.

So a big thumbs up to BD. Get rid of the low yield routes and concentrate of what you seem to do well. Getting people where they want to go.

Funnily enough, on Fog Wednesday Gordon Brown was in the lounge.
On Thursday past, Steve McLaren (England Manager) and George Robertson (NATO guy - not sure if he still is) were in the lounge. I'll bet these guys usually fly BA.

LL
Old Jan 23, 2007, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by LiviLion
Why would anyone want to Fly BA for domestic flights in this country?

My last Flight on BD was LHR-EDI on Thursday 18th Jan. No BA flights flying out on that route due to the weather. How come BD managed it?

My flight prior to that one was LHR-EDI on Wednesday 20th Dec. The fog day. Again out on BMI with a short delay - no BA flying again.
To be fair, this has to do with aircraft rotation and crew rotation. BD's network I'm afraid isn't as extensive as BA's, hence a BA aircraft that is planned to do a LHR-EDI-LHR return may come Inbound from PRG, whereas BMI aircraft rotation is usually LHR-EDI-LHR-EDI-LHR-EDI.

I am flying Monday from EDI-LTN on EZY because I can't get on the BD flight I need and LTN's in the right area for me. Funnily enough no BA flying that day either.
BMI have availibilty (at the time of this message) on all their flights EDI-LHR for monday, but I don't blame you for traveling on EZY.
BMI, it would appear have decided to milk BA's Industrial relations saga to the limit. Just try and book any flight on a route that is shared by BA and BD in the period of possible strike action and you will see full fares ONLY right across the board.

Anyways, no doubt BMI will do a bumper sales drive with the 3.50 Garage Sandwiches and 3.00 bottle of acid they sell Plus I'm sure their friends at the HEX express will be happy with commission earned on selling HEX tickets......

Last edited by chatawy; Jan 23, 2007 at 9:05 am
Old Jan 23, 2007, 9:20 am

Your right about the flights being only fullY class but dont you think that might be because they really are full. All BA passengers have been re protected on BD flights. Its not that BD are putting up the fares its because they have no seats. Im giving them the benefit of the doubt.

I for one dont like BA and would always choose BD over them where possible. I dont like BA for long haul either. Do BA still offer C class on dometics???
Old Jan 23, 2007, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: not a lot
Originally Posted by chatawy
BMI have availibilty (at the time of this message) on all their flights EDI-LHR for monday, but I don't blame you for traveling on EZY
Not on the 06:30 they don't or the 08:45 either.

LL
Old Jan 23, 2007, 9:21 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
....mainly because BA (unlike bmi) has a credible and profitable long-haul operation which it must give priority to when slots at LHR are restricted due to bad weather.

In these circumstances both BA and bmi should be commended for some joined-up thinking in being able to run at least some services between them on every route to ensure that as many people as possible (including you and me) got to their destination, in very challenging operating conditions.

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Jan 23, 2007 at 10:27 am
Old Jan 23, 2007, 9:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
The OP does have a point, but a G&T for free on a short domestic leg does shade it for me, providing the flights are running.

I do object to paying nearly 300quid for a GLA - LHR return and having to shell out more for food and drink.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 11:20 am

Programs: QR P; TK E; FB S; BA S; UA S; MB LTT; HH D; IHG DAmb
bmi puts plans in place for threatened BA disruption

"Heathrows second biggest airline bmi is putting in place contingency plans that will enable the airline to carry any passengers that are caught up in the threatened industrial action and disruption to BA services next week.

To meet demand the airline plans to increase its capacities at Heathrow by placing larger aircraft on existing flights. bmi also aims to increase frequencies by utilising take-off and landing slot availability that is created by any BA flight cancellations. ... "

http://www.flybmi.com/bmi/en-gb/abou...=2007&rid=1073
Old Jan 23, 2007, 11:35 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Originally Posted by DELLAS
Do BA still offer C class on dometics???
I've been travelling DOM on BA for 15 years and it's always been one class - economy. Confusion arises because the booking class for full fare is J and there is a C printed on the BP.

I am returning to BMI next week after an absence of 18 months - due to the strike - still Bento Boxes in C I assume?
Old Jan 23, 2007, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by Zinzan
"Heathrows second biggest airline bmi is putting in place contingency plans that will enable the airline to carry any passengers that are caught up in the threatened industrial action and disruption to BA services next week.

To meet demand the airline plans to increase its capacities at Heathrow by placing larger aircraft on existing flights. bmi also aims to increase frequencies by utilising take-off and landing slot availability that is created by any BA flight cancellations. ... "

http://www.flybmi.com/bmi/en-gb/abou...=2007&rid=1073
Hmm do they mean instead of a regional jet they will put on an A320??? They dont have anything else!!!
Old Jan 23, 2007, 12:24 pm

Programs: QR P; TK E; FB S; BA S; UA S; MB LTT; HH D; IHG DAmb
Hmm do they mean instead of a regional jet they will put on an A320??? They dont have anything else!!!
Well, a 321 has about 50-odd more seats than a 319. But I guess if they can increase frequencies that might make more of a difference.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 12:50 pm

Programs: BD DC, BA EC, AAdvantage, Hhonors and now NZ Aipoints
Thing with BD is that they probably do

Its not as if they have a couple of 330's to utilise.

P
Old Jan 23, 2007, 1:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SpudGun
Thing with BD is that they probably do

Its not as if they have a couple of 330's to utilise.

P

They will probably introduce an Ilyushin on charter!
Old Jan 23, 2007, 2:17 pm

Programs: BD DC, KL FB, HH
[QUOTE=DELLAS;70760Its not that BD are putting up the fares its because they have no seats. Im giving them the benefit of the doubt. [/QUOTE]

I'm not.

Our firm has a route deal with BMI for Y-class EDI-LHR. I needed to book flights for next week and BD told our TAs that they were "restricting" our route deal, and the only ticket they would let us have was full-fare C.

Not complaining personally, I just hope that our tight-fisted Weegie Finance Director doesn't take it out on me.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 4:51 pm

Programs: BA,LH,CX,EK SPG,IC mainly and a few others
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
....mainly because BA (unlike bmi) has a credible and profitable long-haul operation which it must give priority to when slots at LHR are restricted due to bad weather.
In my experience, BA at LHR is the worst possible airline when they have some problem- such as bad weather or labour trouble. I have been stranded on several occasions in late 90s and early 2000s when they had their annual strike ritual where one has to fend for oneself. Others (such as BD,LH,SK ex LHR) are much more helpful to get you to your destination when things do wrong due to weather (Coming to think of it, I have not come across labour problems with any airline other than BA, AI and AZ which speaks volumes about BA's labour relations). Had a trip coming up on 30th Jan on a D fare IAH-LGW- unfortunately it is valid BA only and I can't put my affairs at the mercy of BA crew, so cancelled it and rebooked it on US Airways instead.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 6:00 pm

Funnily enough, on Fog Wednesday Gordon Brown was in the lounge.
On Thursday past, Steve McLaren (England Manager) and George Robertson (NATO guy - not sure if he still is) were in the lounge. I'll bet these guys usually fly BA.

LL
I've seen Gordon Brown and George Robertson on bmi in the past. I think the travel patterns of MPs/MEPs and so on were taken into account when they decided which routes kept business class (BRU, EDI and BFS in particular). It's only taxpayers money they're spending, so you can be sure they'll be at the front of the plane

I wonder what bmi's union will have to say about bmi staff operating extra flights to cover BA's strike.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.