Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

The Definitive Guide to the bmi Mastercard/Redeeming bmi Miles (Thread Closed)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive Guide to the bmi Mastercard/Redeeming bmi Miles (Thread Closed)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2007, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by aristoph
Excellent guide - thank you? Once small possible correction. It appears from the NZ website that they now offer flat beds (VS suites I believe) on their HKG route as well as LAX? http://www.airnewzealand.co.uk/trave...ne/default.htm
Thanks for the update ^, I will amend the guide accordingly.
Old Jan 29, 2007, 6:31 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
should i be concerned?

I have now have my fee paying card, and the miles from my spending on it in the first month have posted to my DC account.

However my bonus 20k hasn't been transfered, that wouldnt really bother me, but the thing is that they have actually mentioned the bonus miles and then said zero. Like they know about it but arent giving it to me...

24/01/2007 BD MBNA - MilesTransfer 6979
26/01/2007 BD bmi credit card - bonus miles 0

Seem strange?

I actually got the new card, activated it, bought a kitchen with it and then managed to lose it all on the same day. I can't see that would cause a problem, but who do I call for the miles? MBNA or Bmi?
Old Jan 30, 2007, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
The 'zero' should update overnight to 20,000. BMI flights post the same way - a zero followed by a later update with the correct number.
Old Jan 30, 2007, 3:40 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Indeed it has, many thanks!
Old Feb 20, 2007, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

NB: I have edited the OP to add that you must spend something on the card within 90 days of its activation, in order to qualify for the 20,000 mile bonus. Remember that there is no minimum value on this transaction!
Old Feb 26, 2007, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

An interesting tweak worth noting. My BMI card was in credit last month after a refund went through. However, my BMI account has NOT been reduced by the equivalent number of miles. It seems that MBNA will simply knock off the credit amount from the miles due next month.

This means that, if you wanted a 'miles advance', you could buy a flexible ticket, refund it next month and not lose the miles - albeit you wouldn't earn any new miles until you had covered the refund.

This is the opposite of what happens with the BA Amex, whereby you lose miles from your account if you end the month in credit.
Old Feb 26, 2007, 3:57 pm

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
yes, works even better during an MBNA double miles promotion, a la' 2005!
Old Feb 26, 2007, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmmm .... is this a way of getting permanent double miles?! Buy a £5,000 flight at flybmi.com for double miles (15,000 on the basic card). Refund the ticket next month. No miles are deducted from your account, but you won't earn any more until you have spent £5,000 with MBNA. Net result - double miles on £5k of non-BMI spend and you get the miles in advance of your spend.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 6:38 am

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
I suppose. I wonder what would happen if you then closed the account down and applied for a new one?!

The point I was refering to was something I spotted back in 2005 during the MBNA January double miles promotion (all basic spending earned double the usual miles). If you purchased something during the promotional period (January) you earned double miles on your account balance. If you then refunded the transaction in February, you only lost the standard miles so the net result was that you gained standard miles for free!
Old Feb 27, 2007, 6:50 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by jbfield
I suppose. I wonder what would happen if you then closed the account down and applied for a new one?!
Any negative remaining miles balance will be merged with your new account. Ended up with a negative balance due to a refund just before closing the old account, and the resulting negative adjustment was done with the new account first miles transfer.

Maybe you'll get around this by first closing all your MBNA CC accounts, wait a while and then open a new one.
Old Mar 3, 2007, 7:42 am

Thanks for putting together such a detailed guide. I'm in the process of working my way through the first steps.

Can I ask how long it usually takes to credit the 20K miles? I've spend £30 on my cards, but my statement only shows 45 miles earned and no bonus miles.

Thanks
Old Mar 3, 2007, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Welcome to FT gillbee!

The bonus typically posts within a fortnight of the first set of miles appearing. If its not there after three/four weeks, give MBNA a ring, and they should be able to sort it easily.
Old Mar 4, 2007, 7:43 am

Thanks for the welcome. I'll keep checking my account. I imagined the bonus would appear on the first statement - but I'll hold out for a few weeks.

Cheers again for the great guide - I'm hoping to make the most of it.
Old Mar 4, 2007, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmmm ...

My old Mum opened an account in November and the posting went like this:

10/11/2006 00:00:00 BD bmi credit card - bonus miles 20000 0
19/11/2006 00:00:00 BD MBNA - MilesTransfer 105 0

ie the bonus came first
Old Mar 4, 2007, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Humm, this seems very sparadic, I (and my family) have gone through five cards now, 2 have posted the 20k before the first statement amount, 3 have posted a fortnight or so after!!

Very strange, but don't worry, either way the 20k will come

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.