BMI MBNA credit card insurance

Old Oct 22, 2006, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

BMI MBNA credit card insurance

Hi, this question isn't specifically about BMI; it is about the BMI credit card. But, I figured if I posted this in the credit cards forum none of you experts would read/see this.

Anyway, I don't remember what sort of insurance is provided with this card. I remember that there is some sort of insurance if you book a flight with the card. However, what if you book a train trip? Do you get any help from them if things go wrong? e.g. what if your train is late and you miss a flight.

Thanks in advance...
Old Oct 22, 2006, 5:39 pm

Programs: FB Ivory, BD Silver, BAEC Silver, HHonors Gold, Goldpoints plus Silver
Platinum insurance summary

Here is a short summary for Platinum cards. For Classic cards, I think cover is the same, but with lower amounts.
So you dont have to use your BA AMEX Premium Plus to pay for your tickets with BMI, and you can use your BMI credit card (and save Ł4.95 credit card fee!): they have nearly the same travel inconvenience benefits... for free...

----

ADDITIONAL BENEFITS
Automatic Insurance Cover

If you're planning a trip, whether business or pleasure, your card puts you in control of the unexpected. You'll always be prepared when you carry your MBNA Platinum Card.
Return to top

Travel Accident Insurance

When you use your MBNA Platinum Card to pay for travel fares in full, you are covered for up to Ł250,000 should you have an accident whilst travelling on qualifying forms of transport. This valuable protection gives you peace of mind whilst travelling and is FREE and AUTOMATIC, with no forms to fill in and no hidden costs! For a complete description of the Terms and Conditions, please refer to the Certificates of Insurance booklet enclosed with your MBNA Platinum Card.

Terms and conditions apply to all free card insurances.
Return to top

Travel Inconvenience Insurance

When you have paid in full for your travel tickets using your MBNA Platinum Card, you are covered for certain situations which commonly occur whilst travelling. If your flight, ferry or train is delayed for eight hours or more, you will be provided with up to Ł250 for meals, accommodation or additional travel expenses. You may also receive up to a further Ł500 if your luggage is delayed for more than 48 hours. Whether your trip is for business or pleasure, this additional benefit is designed to give you extra peace of mind.

Return to top

Supplemental Lost Luggage Insurance

Losing your luggage can turn a holiday into a nightmare . . . or a business trip into an absolute disaster. When your travel ticket has been paid for in full with your MBNA Platinum Card, there is no need to worry about it. Your checked-in luggage is protected so that you may qualify for a reimbursement of up to Ł1,500. For a complete description, please refer to the Certificates of Insurance booklet enclosed with your MBNA Platinum Card.

Return to top

Emergency Travel Assistance

The very nature of an emergency means you need assistance - fast. And it also means you've very little control over what happens.

Not with your MBNA Platinum Card. It gives you automatic access to an Emergency Assistance Network that's at your service when you need it - with the kind of help you're most likely to want. We can provide legal and medical referrals and even arrange transport home in a medical emergency.

When you're faced with an emergency when you're travelling, remember we're here to help. This valuable service includes medical assistance and referral, legal referral, emergency translation services, emergency evacuation services, repatriation services and prescription assistance.

PLEASE NOTE: the free travel-related insurances are provided, where applicable, as additional benefits to your MBNA Credit Card at no extra cost. They are not designed as a replacement for full travel insurance. It is always important to have your own insurance each time you travel abroad.

Old Dec 31, 2006, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
This seems to be the most relevant/recent thread on the subject of bmi card insurance...

Does anyone have a link to the above info? I can't seem to find it on MBNA's site (which seems odd - surely they'd tout it as a benefit for this type of card?), don't have any paperwork with me and (although I will as a last resort) dread calling MBNA and yada-yadaing about bloody payment protections, etc., etc.

Just trying to get to the bottom of what I'm covered for using the bmi card (the no-fee one). I have the AmEx Plat so I'm never without cover, but want to know for sure...

TIA.
Old Dec 31, 2006, 8:42 am

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Quite to my own surprise, I found a link.
https://wwwa.applyonlinenow.com/uk/f...ds/fcb-soc.htm
This is for the no-fee MBNA BMI card.

If that doesn't load properly, it can be accessed via:
http://www.mbna.com/europe/creditcar...vel_bmi_r.html then go to Terms & Coditions (top of page)
then at the very bottom of the page which loads, are two links.
One for Payment Protection
One for 'Free Benefits Summary of Cover'

This summaries the Travel Accident Insurance, Travel Inconvenience Insurance, Lost Luggage Insurance and Purchase Protection Insurance.

It does say however,
This is a summary of the policy and does not contain the full terms and conditions of the cover, which can be found in the Combined Certificates of Insurance Booklet supplied with your credit card. It is important that you read the Booklet carefully when you receive it.
so this might be as good as it gets for online info.

Last edited by jbfield; Dec 31, 2006 at 9:09 am
Old Dec 31, 2006, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Thanks, jbfield - I'd been on the T&C page already, obviously missed the link at the bottom Thanks again ^

Maybe a useful link for MCS? to capture in his nifty credit card thread...?
Old Dec 31, 2006, 11:35 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Interestingly, I got my renewal card (2 months early!) and there was no insurance certificate sent with this, just a credit card agreement (personalised). Oh, and to "activate" the card expect the thrid degree as to why you don't want payment insurance and why you want the card - for the miles you silly person! I wouldn't use MBNA for anything else!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.