FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   bmi | Diamond Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-diamond-club-486/)
-   -   Aer Lingus floats idea of bfs-lhr flights (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-diamond-club/608652-aer-lingus-floats-idea-bfs-lhr-flights.html)

bfsbhd Oct 3, 2006 12:55 pm

Aer Lingus floats idea of bfs-lhr flights

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/ne...p?story=708574

Mr Doran said that BIA had been in discussions with Aer Lingus which has floated the idea of starting flights from Aldergrove to London Heathrow.

He said: "This proposal is at an early stage and we understand it depends on more slots being available at Heathrow but we await developments."

What impact would this have on bmi BHD-LHR flights?, particularly the current limitations on night flights at BHD.

bapilot2b Oct 3, 2006 1:30 pm

I would hope BD stand by this route and fight the competition.

modularmayhem Oct 3, 2006 1:39 pm

As much as i love BD and im loyal... I hope this happens. BFS is much more convenient for me and with DC mileage earnings so low on BHD-LHR ruote i couldnt justify going past BFS. BD had flights from BFS a few years ago i remember... Anyone know anything about why they were scrapped? Poor loads?

bapilot2b Oct 3, 2006 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by modularmayhem
Anyone know anything about why they were scrapped? Poor loads?

Maybe to use the slots for Baby?

modularmayhem Oct 3, 2006 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by bapilot2b
Maybe to use the slots for Baby?

I cant imagine slots are scarce at BFS. Although its quite a busy airport, i wouldnt think its any where near capacity.

NickB Oct 3, 2006 2:05 pm

BD used to fly exclusively from BFS but moved its operations to BHD when BHD was upgraded from being a glorified hangar to an airport. BHD courted them hard to get them to switch. During a transitional period, they served both airports but probably concluded that it was a waste of resources to do so.
I guess BHD is much more convenient than Aldergrove for the Belfast crowd, where most business/government traffic would be headed, and probably why they fly from there.

modularmayhem Oct 3, 2006 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by NickB
I guess BHD is much more convenient than Aldergrove for the Belfast crowd, where most business/government traffic would be headed, and probably why they fly from there.

Yeah, i completely understand why they would choose BHD over BFS... Their main aim used to be business traffic (before this modular nonsense). I wonder if BHD had not opened up, would they still be flying from BFS? Or was it not doing well for them even when it was the only service they were offering.

Slightly OT, but i remember once my company booked flights from BFS without realising that there were 2 airports in belfast, and that BD served them both. As it was TOD, the travel dept insisted to me that they had booked flights to 'Belfast City' so i proceeded to BHD, only to be told that my flight was leaving from BFS, Doh!.!.! Anyway, they had no problem changing it over, and they said it happens more often than you would think... or maybe they were just trying to ease the idiot who turned up at the wrong airport. :)

BelfastFlyer Oct 5, 2006 2:21 am

ahh I've been praying for this! lol There has to be more competition to LHR, although BMI prices arent sky high, they could be cheaper and hopefully this will fuel it

ajamieson Oct 5, 2006 2:32 am

Hmm. It would bring more competition to Belfast-Heathrow, but it would still be another route monopoly - EI to BFS versus BD to BHD. Given the amount of high revenue and government traffic to BHD, I know which route I'd rather monopolise!

The other issue is slots at LHR. I presume EI would have to reduce its DUB-LHR frequency to be able to launch LHR-BFS. This would reduce the advantage EI currently has over BD on that route.

Grantosol Oct 5, 2006 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by BelfastFlyer
ahh I've been praying for this! lol There has to be more competition to LHR, although BMI prices arent sky high, they could be cheaper and hopefully this will fuel it

Agree 100% Belfastflyer. Bring it on EI... or should that be Ryanair Lingus plc...

Dan Dare Oct 5, 2006 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by Grantosol
Agree 100% Belfastflyer. Bring it on EI... or should that be Ryanair Lingus plc...

So the choice will be bmi or possibly EI under O'Leary. bmi it is then.