FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   bmi | Diamond Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-diamond-club-486/)
-   -   Las Vegas Award Flight Cancelled ? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-diamond-club/605936-las-vegas-award-flight-cancelled.html)

TheMajor Sep 26, 2006 7:12 am

Las Vegas Award Flight Cancelled ?

I have read with interest the speculation on this board of the potential for the cancellation of the MAN-LAS route.

As I have already booked a rewards redemption on this flight for next August (in business), what would happen in the real event of this route being cancelled?

Would they re-route? If so, how? Any compensation?

The direct flight for the a real issue in using miles on this route.

Any thoughts on whether the likelihood of cancellation is a reality or on actions in the event of this would be useful.

Thanks
Phil

NickW Sep 26, 2006 7:46 am

Originally Posted by TheMajor
As I have already booked a rewards redemption on this flight for next August (in business), what would happen in the real event of this route being cancelled?

The diamond club terms and conditions say that the limit of bmi's liability in the case that a route is discontinued is the return of the miles and any cash contributed...

Whether in fact they'd reaccommodate you would probably depend on the largesse of their *A partners and the availability of reward seats.

Jetstreamer Sep 26, 2006 10:04 am

If they cancel the shortest routes you can get rebooked on are BD MAN-ORD then Ted ORD-LAS, or US MAN-PHL-LAS if there are reward seats available and you actually want to be rebooked. If there are no reward seats available it is possible they will just give you your miles and cash back and and say sorry. I'm sure you will be able to get something though as if the route is cancelled it will be from March when the new timetable comes into effect.

Will they cancel the route? They might. They have already said an A330 will operate the Saudi routes. That leaves 2 A330s for 3 daily flights (LHR-BOM, MAN-ORD and MAN-LAS/BGI etc.) It is safe to assume that MAN-ORD will be ok and keep the A330 so they either:

1/ They get their hands on another A330 and configue it to full bmi standards
2/ They get an aircraft with an inferior configuration like they did with the current 767 and FI 757
3/ They drop either LHR-BOM or MAN-LAS

I think your chances of flying on a BD A330 with proper biz seats are therefore not great. Hopefully though we will get an answer sooner rather than later which will give you enough time to make changes if you need to.

NickB Sep 26, 2006 11:16 am

Originally Posted by NickW
The diamond club terms and conditions say that the limit of bmi's liability in the case that a route is discontinued is the return of the miles and any cash contributed...

Whether in fact they'd reaccommodate you would probably depend on the largesse of their *A partners and the availability of reward seats.

Their terms and conditions can say what they like, but you are still entitled to insist on re-routing under EU Reg 261/2004. It is your choice, not theirs, whether you get reimbursement or re-routing.

Jetstreamer Sep 26, 2006 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by NickB
Their terms and conditions can say what they like, but you are still entitled to insist on re-routing under EU Reg 261/2004. It is your choice, not theirs, whether you get reimbursement or re-routing.

I don't think this applies here as if the route does get axed then BD will give plenty of notice. Many airlines cancel routes months ahead and only offer full refunds. I was under the impression this regulation only applied when flights are cancelled on day of departure. Plus this is an award ticket and the rules state "This regulation does not apply to passengers travelling free of charge..."

preiffer Sep 26, 2006 12:31 pm

But you're not travelling "free of charge" - the airlines consider FF miles a form of currency.

That regulation, I believe, is to protect them in cases of gift/prize/free flights, etc.

NickB Sep 26, 2006 12:41 pm

As preiffer said, The reg does apply to FF awards.It expressly states that it applies to tickets "issued under a frequent flyer programme or other commercial programme".
The regulation applies to any cancellation, for whatever reasons, even months in advance. You do not get extra compensation if the flight is cancelled in advance (and the airline lets you know in good time) but you are still entitled to a choice of either reimbursement or re-routing "under comparable transport conditions." The choice between reimbursement and re-routing is yours, not the airline's.

jbfield Sep 26, 2006 12:47 pm

Article 1:
"1. This Regulation establishes, under the conditions specified
herein, minimum rights for passengers when:
(a) they are denied boarding against their will;
(b) their flight is cancelled;
(c) their flight is delayed.
"
(This is found on the bottom right corner of page 2)

Article 3:
"3. This Regulation shall not apply to passengers travelling
free of charge or at a reduced fare not available directly or
indirectly to the public. However, it shall apply to passengers
having tickets issued under a frequent flyer programme or
other commercial programme by an air carrier or tour
operator."
(This is found on the bottom right corner of page 3)

Downloadable Copy:
http://europa.eu/eur-lex/pri/en/oj/d...en00010007.pdf
REGULATION (EC) No 261/2004

Website Listing Copies:
http://ec.europa.eu/transport/air/ru...ts/info_en.htm

Editted to add:
So as preiffer & NickB state above.

gate4lounge Sep 26, 2006 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by NickB
As preiffer said, The reg does apply to FF awards.It expressly states that it applies to tickets "issued under a frequent flyer programme or other commercial programme".
The regulation applies to any cancellation, for whatever reasons, even months in advance. You do not get extra compensation if the flight is cancelled in advance (and the airline lets you know in good time) but you are still entitled to a choice of either reimbursement or re-routing "under comparable transport conditions." The choice between reimbursement and re-routing is yours, not the airline's.

This is my understanding too. In point of fact I am in discussion with LH (via Opodo) on this very point. Several months ago I booked a very cheap (£37 plus taxes per pax) EDI-FRA-AGP-FRA-EDI return for a New Year holiday. Half a dozen schedule changes later the connection at FRA on the return trip has shrunk from 2+ hours to 45 mins. As this is below the recently increased MCT (1 hour, was 45 mins) at FRA, LH has offered me a full refund or the following re-routes;-

1. AGP-BCN-FRA-EDI on the original date booked, with a 9 hour connection at FRA :eek:
2. AGP-MAD-FRA-EDI, travelling 1 day before original booked date.

I have told Opodo that my preferred option is a re-route but I do not consider that the re-routes suggested are under comparable transport conditions. I have suggested a more convenient re-route EDI-CDG-AGP-CDG-EDI, via AF. I haven't had a response yet.....and get the feeling that I may not hear for some time!

Curiously I also have 4 award seats booked on MAN-LAS with bmi next July and this issue is of much relevance to me.

Jetstreamer Sep 26, 2006 2:05 pm

Guess I'm wrong then :D

Dan Dare Sep 27, 2006 1:29 pm

My guess would be that Mumbai gets pulled. The loads would appear to be low and it appears bmi cancel this route quite regularly.

My LAS experience has been that there is sunsatntial demand for this route in Y and Y+ with J not doing too bad the few times I have flown the route.

I don't do BOM but my colleagues who have have found Y half full and Y+ and J empty.

Thats my two penneth on the matter or IMHO etc etc.