United E+ access a thing of the past?

Old Oct 15, 06, 10:59 pm

Programs: BA, UA, SPG/Marriot
Just completed HKG-SIN return for the weekend on a cheapie ticket which I had not got around to getting seat assignments for. Asked for E+ at check-in in HKG and got it no questions asked, but at SIN this morning they told me it was only on a paid-for "upgrade" basis for non UA1K's. The E+ thing was really the only reason I ever used UA in Y so I think that's the last they'll see of me for a while.
Old Oct 16, 06, 12:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by MapleLeaf
That is exactly what I posted above and what the Global Services agent told me they are now doing. Thankfully she was able to get me my E+ seats back.

My new philosophy for flying US or UA is if the fare for a QUP fare is less than 3x the econ fare, I may go that route and take the 300% mileage for less than the cost of 3 econ fares. I don't need to fly them that often and when I do, I want max mileage... sometimes it may be worth it to pay a bit more.
.... More mileage for fewer runs.

Originally Posted by Captain Schmidt
Just completed HKG-SIN return for the weekend on a cheapie ticket which I had not got around to getting seat assignments for. Asked for E+ at check-in in HKG and got it no questions asked, but at SIN this morning they told me it was only on a paid-for "upgrade" basis for non UA1K's. The E+ thing was really the only reason I ever used UA in Y so I think that's the last they'll see of me for a while.
Along the same lines as above:

The E+/preferred seating benefit of being a *Gold flying UA got me on UA planes more than it would otherwise. Take away this benefit, and UA loses a bit of its edge and then some when it comes to my decision-making too.
Old Oct 23, 06, 9:28 am

Programs: BA Silver, FB Plat, Accor Gold, IHG Gold, BW Plat, Wyndham rewards Plat
update

As I posted a little while back, my itinerary, booked at the beginning of September and including seats in E+, was changed slightly a couple of weeks ago. The new itinerary showed that my assigned seats for the first two sectors (both in E+) had disappeared.

Yesterday at LAX I checked in at the Gold counter machines and was asked if I wanted to pay $68 to upgrade to E+. I said no and was given an aisle seat in row 18 (E+ went up to row 16) which I then accepted. As the machine wouldn't let me choose a seat for the second sector, the United employee said I'd have to ask again in Denver. However, the machine then spat out two boarding passes, including one well forward in E+ (but not the originally assinged seat) for the second sector.

So it looks as though someone has trawled the reservations to remove E+ assignments, but that you might (if you are star alliance Gold?) get one anyway according to whatever priority system UA uses. Both flights were full.

I have two more single sectors (early next month) which were assigned seats in E+. We'll see what happens to them.
Old Oct 23, 06, 10:01 am

Programs: Lots, some no/low status some high status, can't be bothered to list them :-)
Originally Posted by rangerss75
As I posted a little while back, my itinerary, booked at the beginning of September and including seats in E+, was changed slightly a couple of weeks ago. The new itinerary showed that my assigned seats for the first two sectors (both in E+) had disappeared.

Yesterday at LAX I checked in at the Gold counter machines and was asked if I wanted to pay $68 to upgrade to E+. I said no and was given an aisle seat in row 18 (E+ went up to row 16) which I then accepted. As the machine wouldn't let me choose a seat for the second sector, the United employee said I'd have to ask again in Denver. However, the machine then spat out two boarding passes, including one well forward in E+ (but not the originally assinged seat) for the second sector.

So it looks as though someone has trawled the reservations to remove E+ assignments, but that you might (if you are star alliance Gold?) get one anyway according to whatever priority system UA uses. Both flights were full.

I have two more single sectors (early next month) which were assigned seats in E+. We'll see what happens to them.
I'm not sure you're right about someone going through removing the E+ from us golds. I travelled MCO-ORD on Sat 22nd which I booked just before the change and I kept my pre-allocated seats in 3E+3F
As I also posted a few days ago, I had to be re-routed onto two flights after missing the ORD-LAS connection and got E+ then too, all flights were full too.
My missus is just * Silver.
It's looking more like luck of the draw!
Old Oct 23, 06, 4:01 pm

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BAG/OWE, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by rangerss75

Yesterday at LAX I checked in at the Gold counter machines and was asked if I wanted to pay $68 to upgrade to E+.
So it looks as though someone has trawled the reservations to remove E+ assignments,
Huh, haven't you suggested above and in your previous post that E+ was lost because your itinerary got changed?
Old Oct 24, 06, 11:32 am

Programs: BA Silver, FB Plat, Accor Gold, IHG Gold, BW Plat, Wyndham rewards Plat
Originally Posted by jbfield
Huh, haven't you suggested above and in your previous post that E+ was lost because your itinerary got changed?
Yes I have, because I (mistakenly?) suggested that the two things were connected. What I ought to have said was that the disappearing E+ assigned seats were from flights which had not been changed. When they e-mailed the new itinerary I still had E+ on the changed flight (which is my next one on November 4th) but the seating assignment had disappeared altogether from the two (October) segments. Maybe they changed the itinerary first (I only got it e-mailed to me on my second request a little while after the change) and then the computer went through the October reservations and picked up the E+ later but has still to do the November ones? I'll find out soon enough. But then, as Private Pyle says, maybe it's just a lot more arbitrary than that and just the luck of the draw?
Old Dec 5, 06, 8:22 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA Plat Exec, Hilton Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador & Marriott Plat
For me it would seem that E+ no longer comes FOC. Flew AMS-IAD 17/11 in Y and asked for Y+ at check in - no such luck even for *G. Today did bmi Y+ (GUP Voucher) MAN-ORD then UA Y to DEN again no Y+.

On both occassions there have been empty Y+ seats but no such luck for me. UA won't be my first choice anymore for US domestic or Y transatlantic (Y+ made this just about bearable).

Burnt Miles (+ Cash) for return sectors both times - UA F and LH J respectively. Bought cheap Y tix for both, with return dates some time in Jan that will never be used. Much cheaper than one ways. End of year and midful of budget and all that.
Old Dec 6, 06, 1:01 am

Programs: BMI Gold
No idea what I did differently, but I also travelled manchester-chicago, last saturday, but I managed to get my seat on the following united flight (chicago-san diego) bumped up to e+.

Maybe they took pity.
Old Dec 6, 06, 11:57 am

Programs: BMI Gold
On the UA board a while ago they were talking about the planned new C which will supposedly result in a dramatic drop in C class seats. This would of course break their members' thought model of C being an upgrade perk, not something you actually pay for.

So if you clear out non UA from E+ then this is their new perk/upgrade and if they want C they have to cough up.

At least my thought on why they are blocking non UA from E+, no doubt others have rasied this
Old Feb 8, 08, 11:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
2008 UA policy for E+ access?

Originally Posted by jamespvg View Post
All this "reward our own customers" nonsense is misleading. It's not like E+ is full to bursting with UA elites being turned away. This is purely a revenue drive -- UA is moving, step-by-step, to a saleable E+ cabin, rather than giving it away. This is a logical first step on that path.

It's a shame though, because it was a big draw to fly UA longhaul. diamond club (and its excellent earning/spending rates) is now the primary reason. And with ex-US WT+ prices as attractive as they are...
Any idea if this is still UAs game plan? I often find I can get into E+, but am not sure if this is agent whim or policy. They sometimes take an interest in seeing my BD *S, but not everytime.

Didn't go so well last night though . I could see that the plane was only half full, and maybe 30% in E+. Asked for a bump and was given E+ 26A. Knowing that the back of E+ was looking light confirmed with the gate agent that I'd be OK in 24E with space each side so plonked down their. A family with 3 infants then arrived in 23C-G and told me that they'd got a free uplift too .

They then decided to take the empty 25C-G, so I moved to the now empty 23E. A few mins into the movie it was clear that screen was duff, so I tried 23D and found the same. 23F was better, but left me at the whim of the 10-year old in 22F from one of the other family groups that had also lucked out. I then stretched out across 22C-F for a bit of kip.

I've never had tried so many seats (assigned ot otherwise) in a single flight, or had it so noisy in E+!
Old Feb 8, 08, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by EsherFlyer View Post
Any idea if this is still UAs game plan? I often find I can get into E+, but am not sure if this is agent whim or policy. They sometimes take an interest in seeing my BD *S, but not everytime.
I've found getting E+ for nothing 100% of the time is tough.

My best bet is to go to the RCC and ask nicely there, however as a *S you won't have much luck trying that . I've found some sympathetic RCC agents who showed almost disgust at the fact a *G was in E-! Then again I did find someone at DEN who almost went off on me for me asking about it. The Amex card took a hit then...

At check-in I've been told enough times that you have to pay to upgrade that I no longer bother asking. I also don't ask at the gate either but have been paged a few times at the gate area and moved forward to E+ if it is only a short flight (30mins or thereabouts) and I've not bothered to pay. Once on a three leg itinerary I was paged and moved on the first sector but subsequently asked about the other two and was moved up on those as well If there is no RCC at the airport I'll usually just pony up at -24hrs.

Asking nicely for E+ at the right places (RCC) hasn't been met with the hostile responses as I expected it might be when I first heard the E+ benefit was being withdrawn.

Last edited by Fraser; Feb 8, 08 at 6:23 pm
Old Feb 9, 08, 8:11 am

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
I've found some sympathetic RCC agents who showed almost disgust at the fact a *G was in E-!
[...]
Asking nicely for E+ at the right places (RCC) hasn't been met with the hostile responses as I expected it might be when I first heard the E+ benefit was being withdrawn.
My experience too. Unexpectedly on a couple of full transatlantic flights, I've been moved up from 30-something right to the front of E+, thanks to some very friendly RCC agents ("Oh my gosh, do you realise how bad your seat allocation is? Let me fix that for you!")

On another full-ish transatlantic out of LHR, no dice. But I did get my neighbouring E- seat very conspicuously blocked, when all around me, singles and couples were jammed into the middle 5 block of a 777... I must admit, I was Very Territorial over my prized empty seat, immediate spreading my stuff over my two seats...
Old Jul 27, 10, 12:06 am

Programs: ALL
Any recent experiences with this?
Old Jul 27, 10, 2:53 am

Programs: *A Gold; OW Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Hyatt GoldPassport Platinum; Accor Silver
Originally Posted by azhoopsfan View Post
Any recent experiences with this?
I fly UA transantlantic at least once a quarter and despite the *G status, I have never been offered a "free" upgrade from Y to Y+. Ever. So, best way to bag yourself a Y+ seat is to pay for it, which I what I do now. Go to www.unitedairlines.co.uk > Itineraries and Check-in > My Itineraries > pop in your PNR and hit Travel Options.

Prices depend on your route but it's by far the only real guarantee of getting up front in the Y cabin. Well worth it especially if you're on a SFO/LAX/DEN-bound flight out of LHR.
Old Jul 27, 10, 4:56 am

I recently flew FCO-IAD and was offered E+ (as a bmi Gold) with no questions asked.

Search this Thread