Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

United E+ access a thing of the past?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United E+ access a thing of the past?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2006, 3:13 pm

disappearing priority check-in signs

On a somewhat related topic, have been through a number of US domestic airports the last few weeks -- almost without fail mentions of 'star gold' or star alliance seem to have disappeared from above priority check-in desks ...

I had no need to use them as United's OLCI seems to mostly work OK, but even places like LAX and MIA where they *definitely* used to have signs mentioning *G check in it has disappeared to be replaced by mentions of UA status levels.

Perhaps the United fliers were getting confused by mentions of star alliance?
Old Oct 9, 2006, 9:33 pm

Programs: AirNZ AP *GE, Aegean *G, BMI Gold, BA Exec club Gold, UA MP, QFF
Originally Posted by stewardo
On a somewhat related topic, have been through a number of US domestic airports the last few weeks -- almost without fail mentions of 'star gold' or star alliance seem to have disappeared from above priority check-in desks ...

I had no need to use them as United's OLCI seems to mostly work OK, but even places like LAX and MIA where they *definitely* used to have signs mentioning *G check in it has disappeared to be replaced by mentions of UA status levels.

Perhaps the United fliers were getting confused by mentions of star alliance?
I brought this up here . Checking in as *G on US Airways was a pain in LAX tonight - no *A signs, not that this was an excuse. They MADE me use the e-check-in, even though I was clearly *G, and said my BD number was entered, even though when I checked with the US Airways club agent (lovely), she said it wasn't and printed me out new boarding cards. The guy who checked me in didn't even out a priority tag on my checked luggage until I reminded him.

Shoddy, very shoddy - not impressed with US Airways - America West earlier on today and this week recognised me as *G and plastered in all over my boarding pass.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 10:10 pm

Programs: US GP (used to be *G, now,what)
Can someone explain if *G offers any benefits anymore?

You can't get E+ seating
Can you get discounted drink chits at RCC?
Old Oct 9, 2006, 11:31 pm

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
I checked in at LAX this morning and got to keep my E+ seat on domestic. No *G signs, but I was admitted to the UA Premier area when I mentioned my *G status.

No chits in the RCC, but I think you only get these for international flights. And I didn't need a beer at 8am...
Old Oct 10, 2006, 3:31 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Alphaguy
Can someone explain if *G offers any benefits anymore?

You can't get E+ seating
Can you get discounted drink chits at RCC?
Yes you can still get them if you are on an international flight. I was offered one the other week but I refused as I don't drink before I fly, especially if i'm in a window seat on a packed 747 as its not fair for the 2 people having to let me out of my seat every 5 minutes to make a quick visit
Old Oct 10, 2006, 5:48 am

Programs: QF, SQ
Just remembered that on checking in at EWR last week - it was just a general shambles.

Despite using First/Business/Star Gold check in - Economy passengers were given priority as there were only 2 check-in staff on duty so i stood there like a lemming waiting until i was asked to move over to the Economy desk to be checked in. I could not use the autocheck-in as my bags had to be tagged to LHR so had to be asked the standard security questions.

Think this was more a problem with the general lack of adequate staff since no one was manning the F/C desks.

Anyway - back to priority boarding... someone pointed out that UA print a '1' which indeed was on my pass but what's the point when there is no call for '1's to board before the others? Maybe it just wasn't the gate agents night as she was a damn right cow...
Old Oct 10, 2006, 9:14 am
Suspended

I checked in at LAX last night for a flight to ORD.

There were signs for *G's to check in along with the 1K's and Prem Ex's, right next to the UGS desk. As the 1K agent was busy the UGS agent checked me in.

Unfortunately my pre-reserved E+ seats were gone. The agent made the comment that UA is now removing *G's from pre-selected E+ seats as it is no longer a benefit. As it was wide open for my both my flights, she moved me up as a courtesy. I was even allowed elite line access with my *G card.

Most hilarious aspect was someone women coming up to the UGS desk and trying to step in front of me and pushing my stuff out of the way. She had arrived - LOL. After the agent told her she was busy with another customer, me, the women looked stunned... a kind security person showed her back to the line.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 9:21 am

Programs: Lots, some no/low status some high status, can't be bothered to list them :-)
On Saturday we were in the MAN-ORD BD705 which was delayed 2hrs. Because of this delay we missed the ORD-LAS connection, we were re-routed ORD-LAX-LAS, this was our only guaranteed option due to it being columbus day weekend, we got E+ on both legs, I'm *G, the wife *S.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 10:23 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Malaysian16
Anyway - back to priority boarding... someone pointed out that UA print a '1' which indeed was on my pass but what's the point when there is no call for '1's to board before the others? Maybe it just wasn't the gate agents night as she was a damn right cow...
I honestly don't think I've ever been on a UA flight, either domestic or international when boarding has not been done by zones. If zone 1 wasn't called on your flight you were just unlucky but this is the exception rather than the norm.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 12:19 pm

Programs: AirNZ AP *GE, Aegean *G, BMI Gold, BA Exec club Gold, UA MP, QFF
On United today - JAX to LAX - heaps better than US Airways - No F/C check-in, but personally checked, security was extraordinary - never seen anything like it, ion sniffer and then x-rays.

Anyways, back on topic, *G E+ seat on IAD - LAX kept in system. They were reserved before the recent changes. just waiting in the RCC now. Can't believe I'm saying this, but I prefer the atmosphere in the RCC to the US Airways clubs. Similar in comparative lack of facilities (comparing USA *A to other regions), but just a nicer ambience and welcome.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 11:53 am

Programs: BA Silver, FB Plat, Accor Gold, IHG Gold, Wyndham Rewards Gold, BW Gold
Bad news, I think.

I have an itinerary of five United sectors starting in just over a week's time. Economy Plus was available on three of them and seats were allocated to me before the change of policy.

A week ago India phoned me to say that one of my flights had been retimed (which was a strange way of saying cancelled) and given both a new flight number and operator (United Express). A regional jet also replaces the Airbus of the original flight. Another was adjusted by two minutes. I asked about my pre-allocated seat on the "retimed" flight and was told it was still 6A on the new aircraft. No e-mail confirmation arrived.

I have just phoned India and asked again for the e-mail confirmation, which arrived immediately. The aircraft for flight which had only been adjusted by a couple of minutes is now one which has Economy Plus - and my seat is firmly not in it. On the first two sectors (both main-line jets with Economy Plus) my seat allocation has disappeared.

I don't really know what to do. If I phone and ask for seats on the first two sectors (LAX-DEN and DEN-AUS) I shall certainly not be given E+. But if I do nothing and the intially allocated seats have now been taken away from me, I fear that on my arrival at LAX I shall be given a middle seat in the very back rows.

A dummy booking reveals the LAX-DEN sector to have only three middle seats left, and that is on a booking which proposes only a full-fare.

Any suggestions?

Any ideas?
Old Oct 11, 2006, 2:38 pm

Programs: BD *G, KLM Gold, AA Plat
Originally Posted by rangerss75
Any suggestions?

Any ideas?
I can only suggest calling UA, but it seems UA are to remove all *G advance seat assignments in E+ over the next few weeks. I doubt BD have any control on assigning seats in E+ and I doubt the can even override the system as it is enforced at UA's end.
Old Oct 11, 2006, 2:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bapilot2b
I can only suggest calling UA, but it seems UA are to remove all *G advance seat assignments in E+ over the next few weeks. I doubt BD have any control on assigning seats in E+ and I doubt the can even override the system as it is enforced at UA's end.
That is exactly what I posted above and what the Global Services agent told me they are now doing. Thankfully she was able to get me my E+ seats back.

My new philosophy for flying US or UA is if the fare for a QUP fare is less than 3x the econ fare, I may go that route and take the 300% mileage for less than the cost of 3 econ fares. I don't need to fly them that often and when I do, I want max mileage... sometimes it may be worth it to pay a bit more.
Old Oct 13, 2006, 12:10 pm

Programs: BA IHG
I just booked a trip from lhr->sfo - called the call centre to try and get E+ seating as bmi*S but they said no! Also couldnt give me anything but a seat right in the middle of the row :-( i do hate those 777's with 5 middle seats!
Old Oct 13, 2006, 4:27 pm

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
My LAS-LAX on Wednesday afternoon still kept my E+ seat, but that's it for any loyalty to UA for me. On the hop over from LAX or SFO to LAS I'd pay up to about £10 extra for the UA seat, providng the times were OK. Going forward, I doubt anyone would pay $50 for E+ on this sector - so why not give it to *G at check-in?

If I were to splash $50 on a bigger seat, it would be on a $50 upgrade to F on HP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.