United E+ access a thing of the past?

Old Sep 14, 06, 2:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jamespvg
It's not like E+ is full to bursting with UA elites being turned away.
Certainly not to/from the UK.

I'd bet my bottom dollar that half the people flying to SFO out of LHR and sitting in E+ are on cheap fares and have no status with any airline.
Old Sep 15, 06, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A step like this does make you believe that Star Alliance is just getting too big, leading to dilution of benefits....
Old Sep 15, 06, 1:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
Well, it's all a bit of a bummer... I kinda understand why UA is doing this to the burgeoning ranks of non-UA *S and *G (except the full fare bit - that's plain stupid), but the things that irritate me are:

(1) it would be fine if E+ was a truly separate cabin (a la bmi PE), but in general it's poorly enforced, so you might cough up the dough to upgrade, and then end up next to some late check-in, unwashed, no status, low fare, random person

(2) zero notice. If I had known earlier in the year, I *might* have considered changing my allegiance from BD*G to earn UA 1P instead... By now it's much too late in the year to do that, and frankly I am all earned up for the next 12 months or so, so it is not worth changing allegiance

And, as a result of (2), for anyone at UA who thinks it's a revenue generation opportunity... um, *no*. If you think I (and, I suspect, many others) would consider stepping foot on a UA plane with the risk of E- seating, crap IFE, surly service, hellish hubs (IAD anyone?) and having to pay for crap booze to drown my sorrows in, then, um... No No and thrice No

My JFK next month will definitely be my last UA flt for a while (and I hope to hell I get to keep my E+ seats) - and to think I was considering UA Y for my SYD trip next year...
Old Sep 17, 06, 4:01 pm

Programs: QF Plat./OW Emerald + Life Gold, IC Plat. Royal Ambassador, etc.
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
A step like this does make you believe that Star Alliance is just getting too big, leading to dilution of benefits....
...or that giving away status so easily and so often to so so many people (*A-wide UK Status Match, BD-UA-US etc continued status match, etc) is now causing negative consequences (some would say downgrading of 'benefits') for those who earn *S/*G status. Top-tier really means something in OW, and comes with real/serious benefits accordingly - some (not all I know) *A carriers give top-tier status away (and the benefits of this top-tier in such progs. are pretty poor), and eventually there have to be consequences for all *Gs, even those that have to be earned and are hard to earn...
Old Sep 17, 06, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by kt74
...for anyone at UA who thinks it's a revenue generation opportunity... um, *no*. If you think I (and, I suspect, many others) would consider stepping foot on a UA plane with the risk of E- seating, crap IFE, surly service, hellish hubs (IAD anyone?) and having to pay for crap booze to drown my sorrows in, then, um... No No and thrice No

My JFK next month will definitely be my last UA flt for a while (and I hope to hell I get to keep my E+ seats) - and to think I was considering UA Y for my SYD trip next year...
I'm with you. If I'm going to be sat in E-, I might as well expand my search to AA. They have a much better LHR-NYC schedule than the pathetic once-daily UA flight.
Old Sep 18, 06, 7:21 am

Programs: BA/BD Gold/IC A/*Wood Gold - Certified BodyCombat and BodyPump Instructor
And the LHR-JFK is about to be enhanced to none a day.
Old Sep 18, 06, 7:35 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Gold, Marriott Lifetime Premier Platinum
On the plus side, there's now every reason to choose NZ to LAX.
Originally Posted by NickW
I'd bet my bottom dollar that half the people flying to SFO out of LHR and sitting in E+ are on cheap fares and have no status with any airline.
Last time I flew E+ to ORD I was sat next to a young woman who was on her first overseas holiday and second ever flight. She didn't even realise where she was sitting.
Old Sep 18, 06, 1:18 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel

Originally Posted by ajamieson
On the plus side, there's now every reason to choose NZ to LAX.
Last time I flew E+ to ORD I was sat next to a young woman who was on her first overseas holiday and second ever flight. She didn't even realise where she was sitting.
Not sure whether to take that as a criticism of your fellow passenger or the E+ seat
Old Sep 18, 06, 1:26 pm

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Gold, Marriott Lifetime Premier Platinum
Old Sep 19, 06, 7:27 pm

Programs: QF, SQ
well am off to SFO on Sunday to do a Mileage run and coming back from EWR via IAD following Sunday - so should be able to report soon if my E+ seat has indeed disappeared sometime next week.
Old Sep 20, 06, 3:18 am

Programs: AirNZ AP *GE, Aegean *G, BMI Gold, BA Exec club Gold, UA MP, QFF
Originally Posted by Malaysian16
well am off to SFO on Sunday to do a Mileage run and coming back from EWR via IAD following Sunday - so should be able to report soon if my E+ seat has indeed disappeared sometime next week.
Good-oh - will look forward to reading your report
Old Sep 20, 06, 2:09 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA Plat Exec, Hilton Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador & Marriott Plat
So last week I went MAN-ORD-LAS. My booking was in J and I called the DC Gold helpline to secure my seats before travel. The ORD-LAS sector is operated by Ted so Y+ only. Checkmytrip showed seats up until 24 hrs before I travelled.

However when I checked in at Man my seats for ORD-LAS were no longer showing. Luckily the bmi agent checked me into 4c in Y+.

On the return I tried to check in on line with United where upon I was offered Y+ for $39. I was tempted to pay until I saw only middle seats available. I was annoyed as I had already secured 6c through DC.

When I got to the airport I used self check in and was given Y+ FOC but only a middle seat.

I'm not sure if I will use bmi/ted again especially after buying a J ticket MAN-ORD. Getting the seat I wanted in Y+ was always a key attraction for me.

I will continue to use bmi to ORD and will try to make may LAS trips coincide with the direct flight schedule next time.
Old Sep 20, 06, 2:37 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Dan Dare
So last week I went MAN-ORD-LAS. My booking was in J and I called the DC Gold helpline to secure my seats before travel. The ORD-LAS sector is operated by Ted so Y+ only. Checkmytrip showed seats up until 24 hrs before I travelled.

However when I checked in at Man my seats for ORD-LAS were no longer showing. Luckily the bmi agent checked me into 4c in Y+.

On the return I tried to check in on line with United where upon I was offered Y+ for $39. I was tempted to pay until I saw only middle seats available. I was annoyed as I had already secured 6c through DC.

When I got to the airport I used self check in and was given Y+ FOC but only a middle seat.

I'm not sure if I will use bmi/ted again especially after buying a J ticket MAN-ORD. Getting the seat I wanted in Y+ was always a key attraction for me.

I will continue to use bmi to ORD and will try to make may LAS trips coincide with the direct flight schedule next time.
I think bmi have a problem in general with assigning seats on UA. My last trip I called the DC gold line to get a seat assignment for my UA leg (only Y- available). After the call I went to the BD website to view my booking and it showed me as occupying the seat. however on looking at the seat map on expert flyer the seat was still showing as available and alas when I checked in at MAN it was gone and I got another one. Therefore I don't think your seat was taken away due to the Y+ issue.

It is a good sign that you still managed to get Y+ on your ted legs though.
Old Sep 25, 06, 9:36 am

Programs: BA Silver
Success keeping pre-assigned seats

Just returned from a UA mileage run with E+ seats booked before the change and I can report that I had no problems keeping these seats. Checked in at LHR and no mention was made of the change by the check-in agent which wa sa shame as I was all ready to make a scene

Using the easy check-in machine for the other flights it is not possible to change seats to another E+ seat as they all show as assigned/blocked, even though on my SEA-LAX flight I had a whole 3 seats to myself (and E- was pretty much full). My IAD-SEA flight was cancelled and they were happy to rebook me into E+ on my reroute via SFO, although they only had seats in E- for the long IAD-SFO leg.

In summary if you have E+ seats reserved you get to keep them but you can't change them either in advance over the phone or at the airport.

Hope this helps if anyone is worrying.
Old Sep 25, 06, 2:19 pm

Programs: AirNZ AP *GE, Aegean *G, BMI Gold, BA Exec club Gold, UA MP, QFF
Originally Posted by Jetstreamer
Just returned from a UA mileage run with E+ seats booked before the change and I can report that I had no problems keeping these seats. Checked in at LHR and no mention was made of the change by the check-in agent which wa sa shame as I was all ready to make a scene

Using the easy check-in machine for the other flights it is not possible to change seats to another E+ seat as they all show as assigned/blocked, even though on my SEA-LAX flight I had a whole 3 seats to myself (and E- was pretty much full). My IAD-SEA flight was cancelled and they were happy to rebook me into E+ on my reroute via SFO, although they only had seats in E- for the long IAD-SFO leg.

In summary if you have E+ seats reserved you get to keep them but you can't change them either in advance over the phone or at the airport.

Hope this helps if anyone is worrying.
That's fantastic news - thanks for the report. Eases my mind for upcoming trips and mileage run.

Search this Thread