The BMI Brand?

Old Sep 11, 06, 7:54 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BD Gold, SQ Gold, BA, HHonors Gold, Marriot Elite
The BMI Brand?

Does BD actually have a strong brand?

I cant help but think BD is becoming the new Air Lingus in terms of rebranding as a low cost carrier without actually intending to rebrand....baggage, F&B for purchase etc!

And in terms of load factor, my Airline Business magazine earlier this year reported that BD's load factor to be as low as 67%.

I don't feel that there is anything 'special' about the BD product which can give itself a competitive advantage and as such is completely overshadowed by the might of BA in all markets that it competes.

On the plus side, I think BD's mileage programme is exceptional in comparison with that of BAEC.

Last edited by lpmarkey; Sep 11, 06 at 8:00 pm
Old Sep 12, 06, 1:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite for Life, Hilton Diamond, United Silver
I am no expert in this matter, or any other on this website, but I do take a keen interest. I think that BMI will change as an airline when the regulation over transatlantic flights comes to an end. BMI are very keen to fly to the US from LON, and I think once they are allowed to do this, BMI will become quite a different airline. I am looking forward to be able to take a BMI flight from LON to NYC, and with United stopping this route, this would be a real option, I believe they would be the only *A carrier operating this route...
Old Sep 12, 06, 4:23 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BD Gold, SQ Gold, BA, HHonors Gold, Marriot Elite
If I want good service and an exceptional inflight product....I'll stick with BA!

If I want miles I'll stick with Star Alliance!

As for BMI, I don't know what it can offer me! Although having said that, there aren't many airlines now out of Manchester that offer a 'full service' regional product!

And what is more confusing is that BMI's route network is gradually becoming a series of 4 letter flight numbers! In fact, I would'nt be suprised if it had more codeshare flights than it operates iteslf! Thus offering little consistency in terms of product level!
Old Sep 13, 06, 4:29 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA Plat Exec, Hilton Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador & Marriott Plat
As Mapleleaf pointed out in a previous threadthe brand is bmi not BMI. Semantics I know.

I agree with lpmarkey that BA for service in Europe and bmi for miles. However I do rather like bmi "The Business" for longhaul despite not having lie-flat seats. The service in J trans atlantic is always great in my experience. Yet to go east longhaul with bmi.

Search this Thread