FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   bmi | Diamond Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-diamond-club-486/)
-   -   Leather seats (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-diamond-club/600228-leather-seats.html)

ajamieson Sep 10, 2006 9:43 am

Leather seats

All bmi aircraft are to be fitted with leather seats, it would appear. I was on G-MIDW today (the A320 which is still in the old Star Alliance colours) and the Recaro seats have already been recovered with a dark blue leather in place of the bright blue cloth.

According to the FSM, all aircraft are to get leather seats...not because passengers prefer them, you understand, but because they are cheaper to clean. Personally, I preferred the cloth seats and the shade of blue contributed to the nice, bright and clean cabin appearance. But BA board people are always banging on about superior leather seats so I'm sure this will be viewed as an improvement ;)

Not sure if the change applies to Regional.

preiffer Sep 10, 2006 9:53 am

So what happens to the A330's? :confused:

About time for flat beds, I'd say... :cool:

ajamieson Sep 10, 2006 10:03 am

Good question - I'll try and find out.

Swanhunter Sep 10, 2006 11:04 am

I hate leather seats. Hot and slippery. (Insert smutty innuendo here ;) )

AJLondon Sep 10, 2006 11:25 am

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
I hate leather seats. Hot and slippery. (Insert smutty innuendo here ;) )

Hmmmm, let's see now. Swannie and leather....<starts thinking hard> hmmm... ;)

Jetstreamer Sep 10, 2006 12:29 pm

Is G-MIDW the Moscow aircraft? If it is maybe they are just fitting this one with the leather seats as they have decided to be a full frills quality carrier on this route.

ajamieson Sep 10, 2006 1:09 pm

No, I think it's G-MIDZ for the DME services. Besides, I don't make the immediate connection between leather seats and high-quality service.

Incidentally, the FSM said the dedicated DME aircraft would be getting long-haul-style seats. It wasn't clear (to the FSM, at least) if it was exactly the same seat as on the A330s, nor was it clear what happened if the dedicated DME a/c went tech...

AJLondon Sep 10, 2006 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by ajamieson
Besides, I don't make the immediate connection between leather seats and high-quality service.

Is that because the national airline of Britain uses leather seats...? :p :D

ajamieson Sep 10, 2006 1:50 pm

Yes, Flybe do indeed have leather seats on their Dash-8s ;)

LapLap Sep 10, 2006 2:18 pm

Aren't you all forgetting the business model bmi seem to be getting their inspiration from lately...

Ryanair have leather seats...

Proper quality, innit?

Ringway Rambler Sep 11, 2006 10:14 am

Found this on the bmi web-site regarding the new DME service....

The route will be operated on the Airbus A320 aircraft, offer economy and business class cabins and will provide a high level of in-flight service delivery, similar to that offered on much longer journeys.

Our economy seat pitch of 32 inches will increase in the business cabin to a generous 41 inches with a seat width of 21 inches. The leather seats will have configuration of 3:3 in economy and 2:2 in business.

The new service from Heathrow is part of a commercial agreement with bmi and Transaero who will also launch daily return flights from October 29th, 2006.

RR

ajamieson Sep 11, 2006 10:26 am

Oh, well spotted. I still don't understand the new bmi fetish for leather though ;)

I can only hope the "high level of inflight service delivery" is better than some of the domestic C class service I've witnessed recently.

stut Sep 11, 2006 10:37 am

Hmm... This wouldn't be grey leather with yellow piping, would it..?

rangerss75 Sep 11, 2006 10:45 am

Originally Posted by ajamieson
Oh, well spotted. I still don't understand the new bmi fetish for leather though ;)

Oh, I don't know. If they ever get lie-flat seats in C that really do turn into beds, leather might be quite a turn-on for some people.

ajamieson Sep 11, 2006 10:50 am

Originally Posted by stut
Hmm... This wouldn't be grey leather with yellow piping, would it..?

...ins Schwarze treffen...