EDI-LHR What ID for a 3 year old

Old Sep 7, 2006, 5:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: not a lot
EDI-LHR What ID for a 3 year old

Looking for some clarification.

My wife and son are going to meet me in London in a few weeks and I was planning on getting them booked on a BMI flight from EDI-LHR.

Only problem I can see is that my son doesn't have a passport, bank card, credit card, etc.

I phoned BMI and the call centre chap said that if I booked the flights in my wifes name using her credit card my son would get on using that as ID?

Is this right?

LL
Old Sep 7, 2006, 10:14 am

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
You should be able to use that as ID as it is only to check you are the owner of the booking. It is not a government requirement for travellers to have photo ID on domestic bookings, but that doesn't mean the airlines don't have their own.

If you check in using the Self-Check In Machines it will should be fine.
If you check in at the check-in desk they probably would request photo ID for your wife, and may or may not for your son (BMI Call Centre, which you've already asked will know more than I do). I expect it won't be a problem as long as he is travelling with and on your wife's booking.

From flybmi:
http://www.flybmi.com/bmi/en-gb/plan...ification.aspx
A passport is not required for travel between Great Britain and Ireland, Northern Ireland and the Channel Islands. Passengers transiting the UK destined for the Republic of Ireland must carry a form of photographic ID (please see acceptable forms of photographic ID below).

//////////
{snip}
/////////
The above card identification numbers will only be used to identify you as the owner of the booking. No money will be debited from your card unless you have used the same card to pay for the ticket.

If you choose not to supply a form of identification and cannot retrieve your booking or you are making and e-ticket booking for someone other than yourself, the traveller will need to present an acceptable form of photographic ID at the check-in desk.

acceptable forms of photographic ID include:

valid passport
valid photographic driver's licence
valid photographic EU or Swiss national identity card
valid armed forces identity card
valid police warrant card/badge
valid airport employees security identity pass
valid business photographic ID (Dublin only)
It may not be on the list, but when he is a bit older, it maybe worth getting one of these:
http://www.citizencard.net/

They, at least, used to be valid on domestic flights

Last edited by jbfield; Sep 7, 2006 at 10:33 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.