OT: the cost of LH Senator status

Old Sep 6, 2006, 1:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald); QF Lifestime Silver; BD Diamond Club Gold (*A Gold)
OT: the cost of LH Senator status

So I know it's the BD forum here, but couldn't resist sharing the contents of a letter just received from LH: options for renewal of Senator (*A Gold) status - fly 100K status miles before x date or pay EUR 1,500
Old Sep 6, 2006, 1:45 am

Programs: BA,LH,CX,EK SPG,IC mainly and a few others
Originally Posted by virtualtroy
So I know it's the BD forum here, but couldn't resist sharing the contents of a letter just received from LH: options for renewal of Senator (*A Gold) status - fly 100K status miles before x date or pay EUR 1,500
I thought you will be a SEN anyway if you have 100K status miles.
Who would pay 1500 EUR to get a SEN card which is pretty much worthless anyway, now that they have improved M/M?
Old Sep 6, 2006, 5:36 am

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LonLH
Who would pay 1500 EUR to get a SEN card which is pretty much worthless anyway, now that they have improved M/M?
I believe virtualtroy credits his *A flights to BD rather than LH. If you are flying premium classes, BDs programme is far more generous, especially above the 55K status miles mark.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 6:27 am

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
Originally Posted by LonLH
If you read the OP correctly, then you will realize it says

100K status miles OR 1500 EUR. (i.e. you can pay 1500 EUR if you don't make it on miles)

Which means LH is of the opinion that its SEN status is worth 1500 EUR, though I doubt many others would subscribe to this view.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 6:33 am

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
I suppose it depends on who pays the bill.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald); QF Lifestime Silver; BD Diamond Club Gold (*A Gold)
Originally Posted by alex0683de

100K status miles OR 1500 EUR. (i.e. you can pay 1500 EUR if you don't make it on miles)

Which means LH is of the opinion that its SEN status is worth 1500 EUR, though I doubt many others would subscribe to this view.
Was waiting for someone who'd get the gist of what I was on about in my OP... What does that make BD Gold status? Tuppence halfpenny?
Old Sep 6, 2006, 12:06 pm

Depends a lot on how much travelling you do on LH I guess,

SEN status gained via the convential route is valid for 2 years. So if the cash offer is the same that's 750 EUR / Year.

Requalifying for SEN via the convential route gives 2 eVouchers, which are good for either 2 European Y to C upgrades, or 1 routewide upgrade from Y to C or C to F. If that's included in the cash offer how much is a one class upgrade worth to you.

So called 'quiet zone', well unless there are babies. LH reserve the first few rows of 'Y' for SEN / FTL plus I believe exit and bulkhead rows.

Seat blocking, although not guaranteed it's normal to have the middle seat free in 3 x 3 config unless the flight is completely sold. Flying to and from Germany in my weekly commute I seldom have to sit next to anyone.

Very occasionaly the FA address you by name, I like when they do that.

Catering is better in SEN lounge than Diamond Club.

but overall unless you fly a lot on LH not worth the money and if you do then SEN isn't so hard to achieve. Just wish Miles and Less did cash + miles though...
Old Sep 6, 2006, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
The generous offer by LH was 1500 EUR for ONE year (implying a 3000 EUR value over 2 years). Whilst I do not think SEN is worth that much it is quite valuable to me and offers more really useful perks than BAEC Gold.

50% Discount on companion awards and the (albeint now smaller) miles overdraft are real programme benefits. BAEC offers little of real value to Golds in comparison.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by allanhuk
Depends a lot on how much travelling you do on LH I guess,

SEN status gained via the convential route is valid for 2 years. So if the cash offer is the same that's 750 EUR / Year.

Requalifying for SEN via the convential route gives 2 eVouchers, which are good for either 2 European Y to C upgrades, or 1 routewide upgrade from Y to C or C to F. If that's included in the cash offer how much is a one class upgrade worth to you.

So called 'quiet zone', well unless there are babies. LH reserve the first few rows of 'Y' for SEN / FTL plus I believe exit and bulkhead rows.

Seat blocking, although not guaranteed it's normal to have the middle seat free in 3 x 3 config unless the flight is completely sold. Flying to and from Germany in my weekly commute I seldom have to sit next to anyone.

Very occasionaly the FA address you by name, I like when they do that.

Catering is better in SEN lounge than Diamond Club.

but overall unless you fly a lot on LH not worth the money and if you do then SEN isn't so hard to achieve. Just wish Miles and Less did cash + miles though...
Great summary:

The first few rows do indeed appear to be reserved for LH's own elites (to the exclusion of other *A Golds, IME)

Seat blocking a great benefit and rarely observed by other airlines with their own elites within Europe. But then ex-UK flights in Y are generally a 1/3 more expensive than equivalent offers from BA (cf the most recent 'offers' email - fly to Germany in order to fly to Nice... erm... )

As for catering in lounges, that is more debatable. Agree that BD is lamentable on this front, but then LH's potatoes in lard and mini frakfurters offer isn't too far behind.

In conclusion, personally, I couldn't imagine why anyone would be prepared to pay EUR 1,500 to retain this status, but then LH does have a very loyal fly-the-flag catchment.

Having been comp'd into into LH SEN through one of the previous *A promos, while holding BD Gold in parallel, I was merely curious.

I wonder what price BA would place on its Gold tier, were it to be a purchasable commodity...
Old Sep 6, 2006, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by alex0683de

I read the Op correctly. What I meant was that you will get SEN status anyway if you have 100K status miles, so LH is not doing anybody any favour or offering something special by offering SEN status if you have 100K status miles- you have earned it.
Old Sep 6, 2006, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by virtualtroy
Great summary:

The first few rows do indeed appear to be reserved for LH's own elites (to the exclusion of other *A Golds, IME)

Seat blocking a great benefit and rarely observed by other airlines with their own elites within Europe. But then ex-UK flights in Y are generally a 1/3 more expensive than equivalent offers from BA (cf the most recent 'offers' email - fly to Germany in order to fly to Nice... erm... )

As for catering in lounges, that is more debatable. Agree that BD is lamentable on this front, but then LH's potatoes in lard and mini frakfurters offer isn't too far behind.

In conclusion, personally, I couldn't imagine why anyone would be prepared to pay EUR 1,500 to retain this status, but then LH does have a very loyal fly-the-flag catchment.

Having been comp'd into into LH SEN through one of the previous *A promos, while holding BD Gold in parallel, I was merely curious.

I wonder what price BA would place on its Gold tier, were it to be a purchasable commodity...
Whenever I have flown in Y with LH (usually short haul weekend trips) with my wife (both SENs), the seat blocking has never happened. A few months ago we ended up in the last row of a FRA-BUD flight, with me in the middle
Old Sep 7, 2006, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
I believe the SEN purchase option is a one time event. SEN status can thus not be renewed every year for € 1.500.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.