Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Changing ticket close to departure?

Old May 17, 2006, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold

I've got an L class ticket for MAN-ORD on the 3rd of June, but preferably want an earlier departure.
From looking at the fare rules it seems that I can change this for £50, providing there is L class availability on the flight I want, but I might be wrong on this.
The problem is that it is a paper ticket, so if I wanted to go next week I don't think that there is enough time to send in the tickets and get new ones.
Does anyone know if you can request the changes and then just get the tickets re-issued in MAN?
Thanks
Old May 17, 2006, 10:03 am

Programs: TK *Gold / BA Gold / EZY Plus!
Who issued the original ticket?

I've had a few award tickets with revised iteneries re-issued at MAN. If its a BMI issued ticket I cant see them having problems with this.

Jamo
Old May 17, 2006, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jamojdm
Who issued the original ticket?
I've had a few award tickets with revised iteneries re-issued at MAN. If its a BMI issued ticket I cant see them having problems with this.
Jamo
Thanks for the quick reply.
My TA issued the tickets, but is unable to make any changes.
From previous experience with these fares however, I should be able to call up BMI and get them to make the change. But I'm not sure who would be issuing the ticket then?
Thanks
Old May 17, 2006, 12:35 pm

Programs: SQ, BA
Originally Posted by jim739
Thanks for the quick reply.
My TA issued the tickets, but is unable to make any changes.
Thanks
Unable? or unwilling..

Don't want to overreact.... but... the agent is an agent of the airline. If the rules allow a change for GBP50 then it seems to me that the agent should be able to do it. Perhaps they are just unwilling...

Sometimes agents moan about competition from airline websites, travelocity etc. But it seems to me this is exactly a situation where agents should be able to help - ie to get something done on the spot when you're in a hurry. If they sell you a ticket but then wash their hands of it when you need to change it it seems they are defeating part of the purpose of their existance.
Old May 18, 2006, 11:17 am

Jim is your fare basis LBGEN? Your travel agent should be able to change the date for you no problem, if they read the fare rules for LBGEN for travel originating from the United Kingdom , otherwise just go to the airport ticket desk. As its only a straight forward date change, only the change fee needs to be taken and the tickets only need to be revalidated (stickered) and not reissued as there is no fare difference or route change involved so there would be no need to send the tickets anywhere before hand. The fare rules are below:

Penalties:

1 - psgr p1 adt rules display
fare component 1 adt manchi bd lbgen pu 1 n
fcl: LBGEN trf: 1 rule: nbge bk: l
ptc: adt-adult ftc: er -economy class restricted
pe.penalties
between the united states and united kingdom

originating the united states -
cancellations

before departure
charge 50 percent for refund.
waived for death of passenger or family member.

after departure
ticket is non-refundable.

changes
*ty*
>
after departure
charge usd 200.00 for reissue/revalidation.
waived for death of passenger or family member.

before departure
changes not permitted.

*****originating united kingdom *****
cancellations

any time
charge 20 percent for cancel/no-show/refund.
waived for upgrade to higher fare/death of passenger
or family member.
note -
infant paying 10 pct of the adult fare - no
penalty applies.
---------------------
refund the difference if any between the fare
paid and the normal c one way fare for the
transportation used less 20 percent.
>

changes

any time
charge gbp 50.00 for reissue/revalidation.
note -
waived for death of passenger or family member

Hope this helps.

Last edited by aisle seat c; May 18, 2006 at 11:41 am Reason: posting error
Old May 18, 2006, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aisle seat c
Jim is your fare basis LBGEN? Your travel agent should be able to change the date for you no problem, if they read the fare rules for LBGEN for travel originating from the United Kingdom , otherwise just go to the airport ticket desk. As its only a straight forward date change, only the change fee needs to be taken and the tickets only need to be revalidated (stickered) and not reissued as there is no fare difference or route change involved so there would be no need to send the tickets anywhere before hand.
Thanks for the information.
Do you know what revalidation of tickets involves? Do I have to send the tickets back to the travel agent/BMI or is it more straight forward than that?
I plan on calling them tomorrow so will let you know how I get on.
Thanks again
Old May 18, 2006, 12:05 pm

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Originally Posted by jim739
Thanks for the information.
Do you know what revalidation of tickets involves? Do I have to send the tickets back to the travel agent/BMI or is it more straight forward than that?
I plan on calling them tomorrow so will let you know how I get on.
Thanks again
All they basically do is put a sticker over the time and date sections of the ticket. Then they write in the new times and dates. Nothing very time consuming or hard.
I've seen agents do this and it is a very simple looking procedure. It should be very easy to do without having to send them anywhere i.e. yes, it is more straight forward

Last edited by jbfield; May 18, 2006 at 12:12 pm
Old May 18, 2006, 12:09 pm

Keep the tickets with you, dont send them anywhere as its only 2 weeks before you go if they go missing in the post between now and then that will only open up a whole new and much messier can of worms. Revalidation simply involves the agent placing a sticker with the new flight details on across the centre of your ticket where your current flight details are. It only takes a few seconds literally as long as L class is available. Revalidation only applies when its a change of date and it is the same ticketing class. Reissuing is needed when there is a fare difference (e.g to a higher ticketing class) or a change in the route you are taking. Just pop into your travel agents or to the airport ticket desk and have them do it there for you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.