Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Yet another question about lounge access

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2005, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

I had thought that bmibaby tickets allowed DC Gold and Silver members to access the DC lounge (if the airport has a lounge).

My boss was turned away from the lounge at Edinburgh this morning when travelling on baby to NEMA. Should he have been?

I thought the rules were the same for baby tickets, whether operated by bmi or bmibaby, so lounge access would be available until 1 November?
Old Oct 19, 2005, 12:42 pm

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
No, he shouldn't have been turned away.

From information here regarding lounge access at EDI.

Silver and gold diamond club members travelling on bmibaby services can use the diamond club and business lounges until 1 November 2005, one guest permitted.
Yet more incompetent staff at EDI.
Old Oct 19, 2005, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UK flyer
No, he shouldn't have been turned away.

From information here regarding lounge access at EDI.

Yet more incompetent staff at EDI.
Thanks UK Flyer - very useful link.

I was 100% certain, which made it all the more embarrassing.

I'll drop Joanna a PM - seems like Edinburgh are making up the rules as they go along (much the same as they do at Donnington Hall I guess)
Old Oct 19, 2005, 1:17 pm

Programs: AC SE SQ Solitaire BA Gold, SPG Plat, HH Gold
"Lounges
diamond club lounge for use by diamond club gold and silver card members and Star Alliance gold card members - one guest permitted.

bmi business lounge for use by diamond club gold and silver card members, Star Alliance gold card and bmi passengers travelling on a business, premium economy or full fare economy (Y) ticket. diamond club gold and silver card members and Star Alliance gold card members are allowed one guest in the lounge.

Silver and gold diamond club members travelling on bmibaby services can use the diamond club and business lounges until 1 November 2005, one guest permitted. "

The above regulations don't make it clear whether a *A Gold Card holder can use the diamond club lounge after November. I thought the date had been put forward to January 06
Old Oct 19, 2005, 3:27 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, BA Executive Blue, IHG Platinum Elite,Kimpton.
Originally Posted by neilmac
"Lounges
diamond club lounge for use by diamond club gold and silver card members and Star Alliance gold card members - one guest permitted.

bmi business lounge for use by diamond club gold and silver card members, Star Alliance gold card and bmi passengers travelling on a business, premium economy or full fare economy (Y) ticket. diamond club gold and silver card members and Star Alliance gold card members are allowed one guest in the lounge.

Silver and gold diamond club members travelling on bmibaby services can use the diamond club and business lounges until 1 November 2005, one guest permitted. "

The above regulations don't make it clear whether a *A Gold Card holder can use the diamond club lounge after November. I thought the date had been put forward to January 06

My understanding was that you could never use the lounge on bmibaby services.

However as a silver or gold cardholder you can use Diamond club lounge were available and where none is available you can use Business lounge with one guest irrespective of what fare you are travelling on i.e tiny, baby etc.. and this will still be the case after Nov as no decision has been made. I have been travelling on baby fares for the last two months and have had no problem either using Business check in or lounge access.
Old Oct 19, 2005, 5:50 pm

OPENROAD, I appreciate that you're trying to help, but you're conflating two completely different situations. This topic has been covered multiple times on threads over the past few months.

All bmi Silver and Gold (but not Star Alliance Gold) passengers have access to bmi-owned and operated business and diamond club lounges when travelling on bmibaby services. This has always been the case, except for a brief period towards the start of the airline.

This policy has not been rescinded, and it appears that StarAllianceGold's boss was incorrectly turned away at EDI. It's disappointing to hear another story about the EDI team; FWIW, I have never had any problem with access flying to BHX or EMA.

OTOH, bmibaby tiny fares on mainline services are a different matter. They are new, and the decision on lounge access (as indicated by diamond club recently), has not been finalized. At present, access to bmi-operated lounges, as well as additional third party lounges, is still available. The 01 November deadline appears no longer to apply.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 2:30 am
Company Representative - British Airways

Programs: bmi Diamond Club - Retired Official Lurker
StarAllianceGold - Your boss should have been allowed access into the diamond club lounge in Edinburgh when using his gold or silver card. I will make sure the duty manager/Lounge co-ordinator are aware of this.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 3:01 am

Programs: PC Amb., BA Blue
From my own introductory experience of lounge access recently, I can say that what DC (not you of course Joanna) tell you on the phone differs from on the ground - in reply to my query about obtaining lounge access as a Silver, but without my card yet having been mailed - I was told that they would be able to contact BMI/DC to verify I was Silver.

This I was immediately told at the lounge at LHR was not correct, they would do no such thing & demanded some paperwork proving I was Silver - fortunately I had the foresight to print out my screen-print of my DC Membership showing I was Silver.

On the return from Brussels I was initially haughtily dismissed from entering the lounge as the 1st thing the lady asked me for was my membership number, which I - being a Silver newbie, gave her starting with a 0, as soon as I uttered '0' the hands went up & was told no, you cannot be Silver etc.- quite annoying how your membership no. changes IMHO - especially if your status goes up or down every year or less even. Fortunately after a very brief argument/mumble which wasn't going to go my way, I again proffered the piece of paper which allowed me in.

Another very undignified & un-necessary event occurred at the LHR lounge, where having gone upstairs to the Business Lounge as has the only smoking area, I then decided to go downstairs to check out the Silver/Gold lounge area, only them to be ordered 'publicly' to stop & not go in there. I then had to explain myself & fortunately a woman further away recognised me, & was thus able to carry on.

Last edited by tristan727; Oct 20, 2005 at 3:03 am
Old Oct 20, 2005, 4:21 am

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
International DC Lounge

I have been since the old DC closed, what's the new lounge arrangement like?

Do we still get cheese? I know people used to sniff at it , but I have quite fond memories of eating the cheese and crackers while watcing an episode of Cagney and Lacey.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 4:47 am
Company Representative - British Airways

Programs: bmi Diamond Club - Retired Official Lurker
Tristan727 - I can only appologies for this, when I advise members who have not yet received their cards I tell them to take a print out of their on-line statement as this shows their card level.

I will pass this info onto the diamond club service centre and make sure they start advising this in the future. Hopefully you have now received your silver card so should have no more problems.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 4:48 am

Originally Posted by Dan72
I have been since the old DC closed, what's the new lounge arrangement like?

Do we still get cheese? I know people used to sniff at it , but I have quite fond memories of eating the cheese and crackers while watcing an episode of Cagney and Lacey.

Crowded (in comparison to the BA lounges have used) & No cheese. Still...watching the Simpsons & Guinness not too bad.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by diamond club
Tristan727 - I can only appologies for this, when I advise members who have not yet received their cards I tell them to take a print out of their on-line statement as this shows their card level.

I will pass this info onto the diamond club service centre and make sure they start advising this in the future. Hopefully you have now received your silver card so should have no more problems.

Many thanks Joanna & was no grief on my part really. We did indeed get our cards, which conveniently expire 3 days after I (hopefully) return from Ord .

I intend to be Gold by then anyways, bar any interesting Star* promos to divert me on to another carrier's ffp.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 1:34 pm

Programs: AC SE SQ Solitaire BA Gold, SPG Plat, HH Gold
JAMESPVG Thanks for your helpful reply. I think my problem is still trying to get my head round Bmi baby and Bmi baby tiny fares. The whole thing still sounds like a DB.
Old Oct 20, 2005, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by neilmac
I think my problem is still trying to get my head round Bmi baby and Bmi baby tiny fares.
Life's too short - I happily remain blissfully unaware of the diff. & my eyes glaze over when people try to explain it here. I last understood it when BMI baby was just operating out of some airport up North to a couple holiday destinations. they had a free flight deal that month (even free taxes) & managed to sort out my friend a flight to Prague...East Midlands or Nottingham or Robin Hood airport was from...whatever the man in charge feels like calling it now. Diageo, Accenture...

Last edited by tristan727; Oct 20, 2005 at 2:29 pm
Old Oct 21, 2005, 4:38 am

Joanna - when lounge staff get the rules wrong, is there any particular way of pointing them in the direction of the correct information? Or do you recommend acting in a dignified manner, not arguing, leaving the lounge and sitting at the gate?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.