Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

bmi one step ahead of us (end of individual cans/bottles in the lounge)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2005, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Flew up from LHR this afternoon.

The usual mini cans of Pepsi etc and small bottles of water in the lounge have been replaced with 1.5Ltr bottles.

I guess it's designed to prevent us taking drinks from the lounge on to the plane. Much more difficult to explain the 1.5Ltr sized bulge in your trousers to the cabin crew.

I guess this happened today, as the lounge at EDI had the mini cans and bottles last night.

In an unrelated grumble I also got an "upgrade" from the C seat behind the curtain to a middle seat in business. Grrrrrr
Old Jul 29, 2005, 2:39 pm

Programs: BA Blue
Originally Posted by StarAllianceGold
I guess it's designed to prevent us taking drinks from the lounge on to the plane. Much more difficult to explain the 1.5Ltr sized bulge in your trousers to the cabin crew.
A number of crew members are quite familiar with the reason for the 1.5 litre sized bulge in my trousers

We flew MAN - GLA this morning and the T3 MAN DC and Business Lounges were still stocked as normal with the little pepsi and water etc bottles/cans. Are they rolling out this "improvement" or only applying it to certain Lounges?
Old Jul 29, 2005, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
So somebody opens the 1.5 l bottle and takes (say) 20 cl. Then puts the cap back, or not as the case may be. What happens to the 1.3 l? It gets FLAT .

So if you want a fizzy drink in the lounge, take your own - like we do on LiarAir planes. At least with O'Liary's mob, they don't ban you from drinking your own on board.
Old Jul 29, 2005, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Looks like we're being :-: enhanced :-: again !!!

Large bottles= going flat easier unless- we drink the whole bottle in one!!

Regards

TBS
Old Jul 29, 2005, 5:08 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
For crying out loud, just how useful is a 1.5l bottle of sparkling water!

Maybe bmi should also consider "Tesco economy" unbranded waters and soft drinks now.
Old Jul 29, 2005, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AJLondon
Maybe bmi should also consider "Tesco economy" unbranded waters and soft drinks now.
Come on...I think you're being unfair to Tesco's! To begin with, Tesco are not single-class like bmi!! They 've got 4 distinct product ranges you can choose from. And they're too posh to use the term "Economy". They use "Value" instead.
Old Jul 29, 2005, 5:43 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by graraps
And they're too posh to use the term "Economy". They use "Value" instead.
Quite! Does show how frequently I frequent Tesco though.

Now wonder if we can find an airline equivalent to Waitrose or M&S Food.
Old Jul 29, 2005, 6:33 pm

Programs: bmi British Midland International Diamond Club
Okay, I can understand the small bottles of water being replaced by larger ones - a la BA Terraces style - but Pepsi? Surely not. I've yet to drink from a party-size Pepsi bottle in any lounge.
Old Jul 30, 2005, 12:50 am
uk1
Suspended

In future take a plastic bag.

The honourable thing to do is to take a 1.5 litre bottle of water and a 1.5 litre bottle of Coke on board, plus some wine and nuts - with some plastic cups - and share it around. When challenged with "I'm sorry you're not allowed to bring non-BMI refreshments on board" say "But they are BMI refreshments"!

We can win this.
Old Jul 30, 2005, 2:20 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
The EDI lounge has fitted a water cooler now because too many people took a bottle of water with them

This was the reason given to me by a BMI staff member on wednesday night. She thinks BMI are doing the right thing as in her words some customers took the piss.....
I tired to explain that I thought the changes didn't make much sense but she kept saying its what 99% of customers want and that any business would pay for full fare Y or C.
Old Jul 30, 2005, 3:26 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat Amb, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Gold, easyJet Flight Club, Global Entry
Thumbs up

Well perhaps we can beat bmi into thinking they've beaten their Coke smuggling lounge users...behave like a 'value class' customer and bring along a Thermos flask to the lounge...take your usual tipple of the addictive stuff from the 1.5 litre bottle into your flask and hey presto/tesco, you're all set for a low fare flight. What a bargain!!
Old Jul 30, 2005, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AJLondon
Now wonder if we can find an airline equivalent to Waitrose or M&S Food.
Actually the "modular" concept of Aldi (high quality unbranded stuff, pay-for-bags that are good enough to never break etc) works perfectly for me (and they also have fewer ned/chav/etc customers than Tesco), but I'm not quite sure I'd put up with an airline with limited opening hours.
Old Jul 30, 2005, 4:26 am
uk1
Suspended

I have seen a very nice hat that appears to have little wallets for two beers (one each side of the head) and a couple of tubes straight down into the mouth.

These could be filled up in the lounge -and no one can stop you taking them onboard.

I'll have some mocked up with " I'm a frequent Friar" on it.
Old Jul 30, 2005, 12:38 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
I hope I'm misreading this due to my lack of sleep and no coffee, and that no one is advocating theft.
Old Jul 30, 2005, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uk1
I'll have some mocked up with " I'm a frequent Friar" on it.
Mmm.. monk style with a plastic bald patch in the middle... nice!

But shouldn't everyone be pleased? If a prime positioned lounge is costing BMI 2 million a year, then this all seems terribly sensible. Say 200 cans are 'stolen' from the lounge every day, and by offering 1.5 litre bottles they can bring the cost of a drink down to 5p instead of 15p. Gosh! That's a saving of £20 a day! Just imagine the savings over a whole year!!! Rest assured folks, its masterful economics. The rest of the lounges will be saved. Hooray for BMI!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.