Wiki Posts
Search

IAD onto an Icelandlandair 757

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2005, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
IAD onto an Icelandlandair 757

Ugh - IAD to go onto an Icelandair 757 to allow the A330 to do BOM!

I've flown ICE in both Y and C, and they don't have seat back video in economy, there's no "new" (sorry, premium) economy, and the business class seats are far worse than bmi's "the business" seats. No way will I pay good money to bmi to get what an un-reconfigured Icelandair 757 can offer. They've lost a loyal customer today unless they totally refit it first.

Andy
Old Mar 10, 2005, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Further, I gather from another forum that this ICE 757 will be in C10, Y167 config, so it sounds like there'll be no internal refit!

Andy
Old Mar 10, 2005, 8:41 am

Programs: BD Blue
Lucky i'm booked via ORD on NE in July! I'd never fly to IAD with bmi on a 757!
I'm starting to think this is the end of ops in MAN. I know that sounds a bit harsh, but look at it. IAD is being downgraded, and to think that in my e-amil they said that the "Succsesfull" service is going to an ICE 757!
VS possibly getting all the Carribean routes so they'd be gone, LAS might not be going thru to the winter, so that leaves ORD left, the only route which makes good money.
We all know LHR is the place bmi wants to fly those A330s from, and their picking any routes they can pick up atm!
I dread the day, when bmi stop bringing their A330's to MAN.
Oh and if bmi want to base an A330 @ LHR, please take WWBD!

Lets hope they will not downgrade ORD to a 75' before July or i'll stop in believing bmi is my 1st choice airline to the US!
Old Mar 10, 2005, 3:19 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I think everyone on this forum thinks they can run "their" airline better than it is being run but in bmi's case I think a chimp could run it better. They can't have any real interest in continuing with MAN-IAD because the few business customers they had will go elsewhere and THIS economy traveller certainly won't touch this route, and any other regulars they have managed to build up over the years, who have stuck with the route when flights have been cancelled and schedules changed will be on their bike as well. When it comes to MAN I guess BD are no better than BA.

The best thing that could happen now is if they handed the route over to United. I reakon they could make a daily 763 work.
Old Mar 10, 2005, 4:43 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat Amb, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Gold, easyJet Flight Club, Global Entry
Thumbs down

Is it going to fly in FI livery with absolutely no interior re-fit? If so, they might as well give up the route to UA because people aren't going to pay BD to fly on what they perceive to be a flight operated by FI.

Don't forget AA operate a summer 757 service MAN-BOS. I flew back on it last year and it wasn't bad but nowhere near as good as the 767 they operate MAN-ORD and there's still something in my mind that says flying on a 757 across the Atlantic is inferior to the standard we expect.

I can understand anyone booked on an award flight being brassed off when they thought they'd be flying on an A330 with all its superior features (IFE, seat power, space, newness etc.)

Being a notherner myself I do think it's sad bmi have decided to take this option and shows their real motivation which is to get everything Heathrowised whenever that's possible.

My opinion: BD's decision here is rubbish. I mean the 757 doesn't even fit with their fleet strategy of Airbus/Embraer. They either commit to MAN or they don't. Yet another letter I have to write to bmi...

Last edited by neilyork; Mar 10, 2005 at 4:51 pm
Old Mar 11, 2005, 2:32 am

Programs: BAEC G, VS G, Marriot Plat
Unbelievable, how can they think that they can offer a comparable service on a 757. I think they'll need to change the tag line to 'award losing transatlantic service'

How relieved am I that they've delayed this change to May, allows me to get my award MAN-IAD trip in April done in the 'The Business' and not 'Business?' (unless they changes their minds again)
Old Mar 11, 2005, 3:44 am
Original Poster

According to my airline references, Icelandair's 757-200s are configured C22 Y167. Given that BD are claiming the aircraft will be configured C10 Y167, it seems reasonable perhaps to assume that they're going to upgrade the business cabin but leave steerage alone.

Andy
Old Mar 12, 2005, 1:23 am

I'm gathering this will take place around May or so?
Old Mar 12, 2005, 3:08 am

Programs: Various lustrous chemical elements
It'll be interesting to see what happens to those people who have already paid for Premium Economy, whether they get Business or Economy and whether any compo is offered?

Also what will happen with the Gold upgrade vouchers seen as there's no PE to upgrade to.
Old Mar 12, 2005, 3:38 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Well, with the new EU regulations, they could find downgrading a rather expensive proposition (assuming anybody actually books premium economy on BD):

1. If an operating air carrier places a passenger in a class higher than that for which the ticket was purchased, it may not request any supplementary payment.

2. If an operating air carrier places a passenger in a class lower than that for which the ticket was purchased, it shall within seven days, by the means provided for in Article 7(3), reimburse

(a) 30 % of the price of the ticket for all flights of 1 500 kilometres or less, or

(b) 50 % of the price of the ticket for all intra-Community flights of more than 1 500 kilometres, except flights between the European territory of the Member States and the French overseas departments, and for all other flights between 1 500 and 3 500 kilometres, or

(c) 75 % of the price of the ticket for all flights not falling under (a) or (b), including flights between the European territory of the Member States and the French overseas departments.
(With thanks to dnw over on the BA forum...)
Old Mar 12, 2005, 4:06 am
Suspended

Any pics of the Icelandair 757 interior?
Old Mar 12, 2005, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Only one on airliners.net for Saga ( business class) on the 757.

Link;
www.airliners.net/open.file/047978/M

Regards

TBS
Old Mar 12, 2005, 4:39 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat Amb, Accor Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Gold, easyJet Flight Club, Global Entry
Seating wise it looks very much like UA's domestic First Class product. Probably not worth the few grand it costs to fly BD C to IAD.
Old Mar 12, 2005, 11:09 am

Programs: United MM- Marriott Titanium - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum
A bit cramped is an understatement.. no comparaison to the 330 in terms on comfort and of course service.. Called UA yesterday to try to change my ticket and they were not aware of the equipment change.. still showing as a 330 on the computer.. ridiculous
Old Mar 13, 2005, 7:16 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Well when SAS ran out of aircraft, they had UA do the CPH-IAD run with a 767. I believe this won't be needed anymore around the time that BD will be one short. Strange that they don't just transfer it to this route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.