Lounges at MAN and LHR

Old Jul 3, 03, 3:31 am
Original Poster

Lounges at MAN and LHR

Hi, I am doing MAN-LHR and back tomorrow. I am bmi Gold. There seem to be 2 lounges at both MAN and LHR, a business lounge and a diamond club lounge.

Please can someone tell me if the diamond club lounges are nicer than the business lounges. What is the difference?

Thanks

TJ
Old Jul 3, 03, 3:42 am

Programs: BD DC, KL FB, HH

Differences very marginal. Swipe card (S or G) entry for the DC lounge which should make it less busy than the Business lounge, but sometimes doesn't.

Same furniture.

DC has single malt whisky, Biz doesn't. Spirits bottles in DC are free pour, optics in Biz (but still self serve). Slightly better snack selection in DC (cheese!). LHR DC has a sort of bar thing at one end where, if you wish, you can have somebody else pour up your free drinks instead of doing it yourself.

In EDI the most important difference is that DC has its own loos, while in the Biz lounge you have to go out to the public ones. I think in MAN you have to do this either way (and they're miles away).

Overall they're nowhere near BA or SQ standards, but infinitely better than LH or UA. Comparable with KL.
Old Feb 20, 04, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We were turned away from Diamond lounge at LHR early this week because "no kids under 18 allowed". I wonder why? or is this a make-it-up-as-we-go policy? No real losss as Business lounge is just as nice. Is Diamond lounge supposed to be more exclusive than Business lounge?
Old Feb 20, 04, 8:32 pm
uk1
Suspended

[This message has been edited by uk1 (edited Feb 20, 2004).]
Old Feb 21, 04, 9:25 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TerryK:
We were turned away from Diamond lounge at LHR early this week because "no kids under 18 allowed". I wonder why? or is this a make-it-up-as-we-go policy? No real losss as Business lounge is just as nice. Is Diamond lounge supposed to be more exclusive than Business lounge?</font>
I seem to recall the no children in Diamond Club lounges being in the British Midland rules so at least all of the members are aware of this. The only reason for this is to try and keep the lounge more eclusive.
Old Feb 22, 04, 6:54 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Gold, Marriott Lifetime Premier Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">posted by Tall Bloke: The only reason for this is to try and keep the lounge more eclusive. </font>
Surely the reason is to keep lounge quiet...

After 10 hours in the comfort of UA's economy cabin I like to be able to sleep in the fourth bay from the end at LHR while waiting for the BD54
Old Feb 22, 04, 7:06 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ajamieson:
Surely the reason is to keep lounge quiet...

After 10 hours in the comfort of UA's economy cabin I like to be able to sleep in the fourth bay from the end at LHR while waiting for the BD54
</font>
The two sort of go hand in hand but yes... especially with Children.

Old Feb 22, 04, 8:56 am

Programs: UA MP
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ajamieson:
After 10 hours in the comfort of UA's economy cabin I like to be able to sleep in the fourth bay from the end at LHR while waiting for the BD54 </font>
I am sooo glad to hear that it's not just me who sleeps in there after those transatlantics!

[This message has been edited by onlyflybmi/UA (edited Feb 22, 2004).]
Old Feb 22, 04, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had to be physically woken up the last time by the lounge agent so that I wouldn't miss my flight!

It was embarassing though.
Old Feb 23, 04, 12:15 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by grayst:
In EDI the most important difference is that DC has its own loos, while in the Biz lounge you have to go out to the public ones.</font>
No, no, no, no, no. As any fu' know, the most important difference in EDI is that you can't smoke in the DC lounge, and that peroxide fascist to whom ajamieson is unaccountably attracted won't let you take your Dairy Lea slice from the DC lounge to the smoking section of the regular lounge...

[This message has been edited by Wingnut (edited Feb 23, 2004).]

Search this Thread
Search Engine: