Wiki Posts
Search

earning miles

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2003, 5:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold
earning miles

I recently took a flight from LHR to AMS and booked it on Expedia. As far as I can tell, it was not a web special as it was not booked on the bm website, but a discounted economy ticket.

Upon my return I faxed in my boarding passes to bmi and received a letter from this morning stating:

"In line with the terms and conditions of the diamond club scheme, flights taken on the destinations free flight programme are not eligible for miles. Unfortunately, some of the evidence you have supplied is for a flight take on the destinations free flight programme and I am therefore unable to credit your account on this occasion"

Can some one explain this? Firstly I did pay for the ticket - it was not free! I also assumed it would be a discounted economy fare - am I wrong to make this assumption? I think it was booked in class G.
Old May 24, 2003, 5:43 am

According to the mileage tables, fligths in G earn nothing !

miles earned on bmi

fare type
number of miles earned
applicable classes

business fares
x 2.0
c, d, j

full economy + the new economy (transatlantic only)
x 1.5
y, s, u, l

economy fares
x 1.0
b, k, m

discounted economy fares
x 0.5
h, e, q, o, v, w

promotional fares booked at flybmi.com
x 0.25
t, n

Old May 24, 2003, 10:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold
Thx for the info Bond Boy...

Am I right in assuming that all flights booked on the bmi website earn mileage?

At the time I found exactly the same flight on flybmi and Expedia at the same price, but chose to go with Expedia becasue I could pay with my Amex. But I didn't realise I wouldn't earn mileage...
Old May 24, 2003, 10:18 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
AFAIK Expedia does not handle any bulked or tour operator fares for BD so I would say there has been a mistake.

Have you tried sending them a copy of the ticket receipt with the fare basis and amount paid on it?
Old May 27, 2003, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What's the fare code?
Old May 27, 2003, 6:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold
Expedia handles some negotiated consolidator fares (which appear as "Expedia Special Fares", and have an Expedia fare code (8-10 digits long) instead of the usual V, W or whatever fare code. That said, on LH at least even these negotiated fares typically end up being classed in V and attract miles at the usual rate...
Old Oct 1, 2003, 2:20 am

Has anyone had any recent experience with Expedia Special Fares - I have noticed they are starting to pop up in Business Class as well on some routes.

Are they booked in Points Earning Classes ?

Old Oct 2, 2003, 10:01 am

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
I'm very surprised Expedia have started booking special fares in G.

Depending on price, the business special fares will be booked in J (Very Cheap) or D (Slightly Less Cheap) class.

To check - search on Unijet's or TravelSelect's sites for a similar bmi fare - they will show the fare class.

Regards,
Alex
Old Nov 11, 2003, 9:01 am

Just to provide an update to the above..

I recently travelled on a Business Class Fare, bought through TravelSelect and although the fare was not a publsihed fare, as it was boked in J class, the miles have posted.

Old Feb 9, 2004, 4:54 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Oh dear, looks like I may have been caught by this one, too, but from a lastminute.com fare rather than an Expedia one.

The code for my grand inaugural flight showed up as G on my boarding pass, and yup, seems to be still excluded from the miles-earning fare code list...

Can anyone confirm this (or otherwise...)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.