FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   bmi | Diamond Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-diamond-club-486/)
-   -   BD7000 flight numbers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-diamond-club/36812-bd7000-flight-numbers.html)

StarAllianceGold Jun 8, 03 3:34 pm

BD7000 flight numbers

I was checking the Flight Arrivals page on flybmi.com and found some unusual flight numbers.

There are three flights with flight numbers which start with a 7 (BD7466, BD7470, BD7472). One of them shows are originating in Alicante with the other two "unknown".

Does anyone know what these flights are? Are they repositioning or charter flights?

Cheers

Nick

barella Jun 8, 03 4:26 pm

Not sure really, but not keen on the idea of flights coming from "unknown"!

Four digit flights codes with bmi seem to be codeshares, but not sure what these are.

I've just noticed another little snag in bmi's site, you can actually check the timetable details for ANY flight on ANY airline using the timetable feature.

Another thing, which actually is rather cool, is by clicking on the globe on the timetable page you'll go to the 'Airport Atlas' which shows a list of all major airports when you select a country.
Great for when you don't know an airports name!

Gaza Jun 8, 03 4:28 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by StarAllianceGold:
I was checking the Flight Arrivals page on flybmi.com and found some unusual flight numbers.

There are three flights with flight numbers which start with a 7 (BD7466, BD7470, BD7472). One of them shows are originating in Alicante with the other two "unknown".

Does anyone know what these flights are? Are they repositioning or charter flights?

Cheers

Nick
</font>
99% certain these will be charter flights.

ajamieson Jun 8, 03 7:28 pm

On weekdays there's a BD8802 listed as arriving into EDI from LHR at 00:20hrs. That would suggest positioning rather than charter. Having said that, the a/c which operates the BD51 is usually always the same one parked overnight from the BD64. Intruiging...

weasel Jun 9, 03 1:19 am

It could still be a positioning flight. I have flown with LH from EDI on BD metal. The flight crew, the meeal trays etc were all LH, but the airframe was BD

Chrus

Gaza Jun 9, 03 2:14 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ajamieson:
On weekdays there's a BD8802 listed as arriving into EDI from LHR at 00:20hrs.</font>
Mail flight. BD operate services for the Royal Mail. A few years ago it was the same BD51/64 aircraft. It was towed to the cargo terminal and loaded up. Perhaps these days a different aircraft comes up from LHR with mail bound for Edinburgh and returns loaded with London bound mail.

YOWkid Jun 9, 03 2:33 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Gaza:
Mail flight. BD operate services for the Royal Mail. A few years ago it was the same BD51/64 aircraft. It was towed to the cargo terminal and loaded up. Perhaps these days a different aircraft comes up from LHR with mail bound for Edinburgh and returns loaded with London bound mail.</font>
Nice to see that BA isn't getting all of HM's mail contracts. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

Matthew Vandamm Jun 9, 03 6:42 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ajamieson:
On weekdays there's a BD8802 listed as arriving into EDI from LHR at 00:20hrs. That would suggest positioning rather than charter. Having said that, the a/c which operates the BD51 is usually always the same one parked overnight from the BD64. Intruiging...</font>
The BD8802 is in fact the Royal Mail flight, and it has been operating full of mail for a few years now. When I worked for BMI, they had even purchased seat mail bags, which are the exact dimensions of a row of seats, and could be loaded upto 64kgs.

Royal Mail used to witness the load of the flight when the aircraft was a 737, and they used to stand at the door with a stopwatch, and get very upset if loading took more than 37 minutes, or there were less than 12 staff loading!

alexwuk Jun 11, 03 4:09 pm

I think they are charters.

I remember seeing BD flights flying GVA-LHR with four digit flight numbers as charters.

Regards,
Alex

Tall Bloke Oct 16, 03 4:03 am

Saw another one of these flights last night..

BD 7902 BRU - MAN

Interesting that it actually shows on the departures board at Brussels Airport. Though very obviously not a passenger service !!

StarAllianceGold Oct 16, 03 12:56 pm

Looks like bmi are about to lose their Royal Mail flights. They're dropping the current nine airlines to go with Channel Express and Titan Airways.

Press release at: http://www.royalmailgroup.com/news/e...and=royal_mail

woodie Oct 20, 03 4:46 am

The 7902 was a return flight used to take the Manchester City squad out to Belgium for their UEFA match

AIRBUS215 Nov 7, 03 5:49 am

To Clarify :

All bmi flight numbers in the series BD7000 to BD8999 are in fact charter flights .

The only current NON PAX charter is the mail flight refered to earlier.

All other flights in this series are pax carrying charters