BMI to Tier

Old Jul 26, 2003, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

BMI to Tier

hello all,

will we ever a get a Top elite status with BMI like the Singapor Solitair one?

I have to say that I am quickly achieving the gold status every year and does not see much value apart the lounge access and few upgrades.

Any ideas?

cheers

damien
Old Jul 27, 2003, 5:39 am

<cynic>
Only if BA do it first
</cynic>

Why not join a more rewarding *A programme - such as Lufty M&M?

Old Jul 27, 2003, 5:47 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by small em:
&lt;cynic&gt;
Only if BA do it first
&lt;/cynic&gt;

Why not join a more rewarding *A programme - such as Lufty M&M?

</font>

I have indeed thought about it, but I have to say that free flight with LH cost (mile wise)a lot more than BMI. This is the only reason why I stick to BMI.

thanks!
Old Jul 27, 2003, 10:48 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
"Only if BA do it first"

Don't forget BA do have premier which is way above Gold.
Old Jul 27, 2003, 4:33 pm

Why would we want to join M&M....? Is it a lot better than diamond club? I think that, if you have sufficient miles per annum, then you could look at a second prog. One in which you would put miles and earn status after your primary prog had achieved the top tier annually.

I am actaully surprised that bmi do not have a "premier" status. Thoughts on whether they should?
Old Jul 27, 2003, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I may, can I suggest AC? That may be better. At least *G comes a lot faster.
Old Jul 28, 2003, 6:47 am

Programs: BA Blue
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Bond Boy:
I am actaully surprised that bmi do not have a "premier" status. Thoughts on whether they should?</font>
I've been pondering this one for a while also. Whether the pax numbers are thought sufficient to justify an additional programme might be the issue.

As I fly weekly C class returns GLA-LHR, I've decided to go for LH SEN (following good advice on this forum )as well as bmi G. The fact that you can effectively extend SEN membership for 4 years plus by qualifying in 2 consecutive calendar years, I find very attractive.

Old Jul 28, 2003, 8:33 am

Programs: VS/BA/CX/EK
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by gate4lounge:
As I fly weekly C class returns GLA-LHR, I've decided to go for LH SEN </font>
I'm in a similar position (LHR-GLA weekly, sometimes more) -- does that mean 30 round trips for LH SEN?

BC
Old Jul 28, 2003, 9:10 am

Programs: BA Blue
I think Rudi has published some figures on this topic in the *A Forum. By my reckoning (and I'm open to correction);-

9 C returns to get FT (9 X 4,000 &gt; 35,000)

13 more C returns to get to SEN (13 X 5,000) + 36,000 above &gt; 100,000

All status miles to be earned in same calendar year.
Old Jul 28, 2003, 9:20 am

Programs: VS/BA/CX/EK
Thanks gate4lounge. I may give LH a go.

BC
Old Jul 28, 2003, 1:00 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Damien:
I have indeed thought about it, but I have to say that free flight with LH cost (mile wise)a lot more than BMI.</font>
It probably depends on your travel profile. For me, mostly flying UK domestics in full economy, free flights on Lufty work out about half the price of BD flights. (I have an Excel spreadsheet to work out which programme to put my miles into. You are welcome to have a copy).

Yes, it is harder to achieve gold, but that's not really an issue here.

Old Jul 29, 2003, 12:11 pm

Programs: All the best ones.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by gate4lounge:
I think Rudi has published some figures on this topic in the *A Forum. By my reckoning (and I'm open to correction);-
9 C returns to get FT (9 X 4,000 &gt; 35,000)
13 more C returns to get to SEN (13 X 5,000) + 36,000 above &gt; 100,000
All status miles to be earned in same calendar year.
</font>
All these 22 C-returns earn 100,000 LH miles, a transatlantic C return costs 105,000 LH miles. LH do not allow miles + cash or a free upgrade on award flights. Worryingly, BMI gate staff have said as soon as I presented my LH Senator card that they do not have time to enter it into my PNR. This is how highly the BMI folks think of LH Senators - so you can probably also forget waivers, favors and operational upgrades if you start choosing to collect BMI miles with LH.

If you are not flying LH metal. I doubt collecting miles with LH is such as wise choice.
Old Jul 30, 2003, 2:12 am

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold
I have been op-upgraded a number of times on BD as LH SEN. I have no doubt that any DC Gold members would be prioritised above me but that's only to be expected. I've also had a few jokes from BD staff about the length of LH FF card numbers (though no one has ever refused to enter the number, and indeed at check in some places can enter the card number simply by swiping it (e.g. London Paddington).

With regular C-class flights, I would definitely go for status first of all on the airline that you will actually be flying most of the time, and only then look at other programmers.
Old Jul 30, 2003, 4:02 am

Programs: LH Miles&More Senator, KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BAEC Bronze
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CT-UK:
"Only if BA do it first"

Don't forget BA do have premier which is way above Gold.
</font>
BA Premier is usually reserved for those controlling large travel budgets, while the member's own individual travel is almost a secondary consideration. AFAIK, one will not achieve Premier status without controlling a large travel spend.

I believe the original poster is looking for a level of recognition to be offered based on a sustained high level of individual premium travel, a la SQ example. I think this would be a great idea!
Old Jul 30, 2003, 11:55 am

Taking forward Kilt Boys point about increased recognition for the really frequent flyers, BA seem to have a grading system for indicating the value of your Gold membership. It goes from 0 to 100 and a person doing, say, 5,000 tier points per annum will get a 75 and a person doing, say, 1,500 tier points per annum will get a 25 (numbers here are made up !)

This way, they taregt different people differently and can treat them differently for Op Ups and standby flights etc

Should bmi have this?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.