Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Self-service check-in machines are coming

Old Jan 22, 03, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Gold, Marriott Lifetime Premier Platinum

Self-service check-in machines developed by Lufthansa are to be introduced shortly. The current plan is to have them operational by June.

These would be used by pax holding e-tickets and travelling with hand luggage only and will be introduced first at LHR.
Old Jan 23, 03, 7:37 am

Great and about time too.

If i'm on a domestic day trip I do return check in and currently that's fine. I do hope they will have a fast bag/quick drop facility for luggage as the check in lines at LHR last week even in business were seven or eight deep.

I now use an SAS quick check in and it produces your luggage tag saving time and I guess money..
Old Jan 23, 03, 7:49 am

Programs: BA Gold; SQ PPS; UA Gold; LH FTL; Flying Blue Silver; Starwood Gold; ICHG AMB; Hyatt Platinum;
I also hope that, in time, they add a baggage check facility to the BD machines (the technology is definitely there, as LH at German airports, as well as SK at almost all airports, have machines that can print tags and let you drop the bags at a designated check in desk). I'm happy to take it one step at a time though!
Old Mar 28, 03, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Gold, Marriott Lifetime Premier Platinum
Bump, to note that e-check-in machines will be on trial at EDI from around 22 April onwards. Located next to the BA machines, they will be hosted by dedicated staff who will also look for hang baggage customers in the check-in queues.

In time, the machines will have baggage drop facility but obviously that's a long way off. There have been a few problems with the (LH) technology in adapting the design for BD's needs but the project is still on target.

I don't know where else they will be trialled yet.
Old May 8, 03, 6:15 am

I haven't flown in the last month so haven't been to EDI.

I assume that the self serve check-in trial hasn't happened, as I'm sure it would have been mentioned on here by now.

Any news on if/when it will happen?

Nick
Old May 8, 03, 4:21 pm

Anyone know if and when it is hitting GLA ?
Old May 8, 03, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Haven't the foggiest idea why the check-in machines aren't at EDI yet (or indeed anywhere else) but I will endeavour to find out
Old Jun 10, 03, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

OK, did anyone else get a package in the post this morning containing a replacement card and a letter about self-service machines at EDI, GLA and LHR from "mid-June"?

Apparently the new cards contain information in the magnetic strip which the old cards do not. So that's the first technical glitch.

Has anyone actually seen these machines yet?
Old Jun 11, 03, 2:42 am

Programs: VS/BA/CX/EK
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ajamieson:
Has anyone actually seen these machines yet?</font>
Nothing at LHR yesterday, but an area was fenced off around the business check in which I guess is where the machines will go.

BC
Old Jun 12, 03, 2:12 am

Programs: SMWS
nothing at EDI on Tuesday 10/6. No sign of an updated card either.

[This message has been edited by bounty (edited 06-12-2003).]
Old Jun 12, 03, 2:14 am

The Self Service terminals should be installed at LHR around the 15th/16th June.
2 Will be placed at the end of check-in area C and 4 near the BD domestic ticket desk area (just before entering the Domestic security zone)

Terminals in EDI and GLA should be installed around 17th JUne.
Old Jun 12, 03, 1:38 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Raldal:
The Self Service terminals should be installed at LHR around the 15th/16th June.
2 Will be placed at the end of check-in area C and 4 near the BD domestic ticket desk area (just before entering the Domestic security zone)

Terminals in EDI and GLA should be installed around 17th JUne.
</font>
Well, this is a project that is obviously overrunning since I was told 11th June. I'll believe it when (a) I see it and (b) the machines actually work.

BC
Old Jun 13, 03, 2:51 pm

Yes - there was a delay - apparently the LH supplied software was not totally compatible with the BD Check-in Terminals. I have been reliably informed though that the Terminals are in the BD Offices in the Queen's Building at LHR awaiting imminent deployment!!
Old Jun 14, 03, 3:03 am

Well, I'm flying LHR-EDI across Monday/Tuesday next week... let's see if I get the opportunity for a self service checkin. I kind of doubt it...

BC
Old Jun 14, 03, 9:32 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Raldal:
Yes - there was a delay - apparently the LH supplied software was not totally compatible with the BD Check-in Terminals. I have been reliably informed though that the Terminals are in the BD Offices in the Queen's Building at LHR awaiting imminent deployment!!</font>
Interesting info raldal - do you mind me asking where it came from ?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: