Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Self-service check-in machines are coming

Self-service check-in machines are coming

Old Jun 29, 03, 5:35 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe, and Carbon Conscious Travel

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Not a BD regular, but I happened to notice this thread, so...

Saw two (count 'em) machines in LHR T1 today. Both certainly looked in working order, with power on and welcome screens... But had signs on the front of the screens saying "electronic check-in will launch on the 30th June".

So, there you go.
Old Jun 30, 03, 5:22 am

Location: I have embarrasingly little status but my wife thinks I am great
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by stut:
Not a BD regular, but I happened to notice this thread, so...

Saw two (count 'em) machines in LHR T1 today. Both certainly looked in working order, with power on and welcome screens... But had signs on the front of the screens saying "electronic check-in will launch on the 30th June".

So, there you go.
</font>
There are more than two. There were some down towards the BA domestic check in in a pod of machines similar to the domestic pods BA has.

Old Jul 1, 03, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
And they work. Sometimes.

The one at EDI spat out my card and refused to check me in, possibly because the flight was grossly oversold and check-in staff were juggling operational upgrades and VDBs.

No problem at LHR this morning where I got a red ink boarding card and a row all to myself. Check-in took all of 10 seconds (which is more than can be said for security...)

Unless I did something wrong, there was no option for seat selection even though the flight was pretty open. It just asked me security questions and printed the boarding card. Very poor show if seat selection is not available as I seem to recall this was promised in the letter which came with the self-service check-in enabled Diamond Club cards.
Old Jul 1, 03, 2:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold; SQ PPS; UA Gold; LH FTL; Flying Blue Silver; Starwood Gold; ICHG AMB; Hyatt Platinum;
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ajamieson:
And they work. Sometimes.

Unless I did something wrong, there was no option for seat selection even though the flight was pretty open. It just asked me security questions and printed the boarding card. Very poor show if seat selection is not available as I seem to recall this was promised in the letter which came with the self-service check-in enabled Diamond Club cards.
</font>
LH machines, when they were first installed, would only let you choose between window or aisle, and then allocate you a seat (invariably as far back as they could get you). Things have improved of late, and they will now let you choose a seat using a display much like you get on Expedia or the United Airlines website.

I would hope that, having implemented the solution on one airline, they can do it on another. That said, SK's machines (again the same hardware) still never seem to want to let me choose a seat!
Old Jul 1, 03, 5:04 pm

New card? I haven't received a new card for the machines yet...have they forgotten me? boohoo...
Old Jul 2, 03, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Who is the computer company working with LH et al. on these machines? IBM works with AC on their check-in kiosks and they are quite sweet and good. They let you upgrade and choose a seat, print onward BPs etc. The only thing you cannot do is print the luggage tags and affix them yourself -- probably a good thing since I'm sure some people would bring bags of rocks and just throw them on the belt and then file a claim at their destination. *shrug* (Not that I would do that!)

And security was less than five minutes last Thursday at LHR -- or maybe security is just fast at 0640? Of course, the line up looked awfully scary!
Old Jul 2, 03, 8:27 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Even the BA self service machine person was trying to help the poor BD pax at EDI yesterday morning.....

Old Jul 3, 03, 9:22 am

Programs: SMWS
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dcgoldSteve:
New card? I haven't received a new card for the machines yet...have they forgotten me? boohoo...</font>
dcgoldsteve - your current card might well work just fine. Mine does

Old Jul 3, 03, 9:34 am

Programs: SMWS
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by edi-traveller:
Even the BA self service machine person was trying to help the poor BD pax at EDI yesterday morning.....

</font>
I managed just fine at EDI on Tuesday without BA, never mind bmi, help Having said that I was on an LH ticket....

The queue for LH and bmi check-ins were horrendous so I walked towards the self service area silently praying that the bmi machines had been installed; I've never been happier to see a computer (apart from that conference in Vegas a few years ago but that's another story).

Popped the appropriate coupon into the machine and off we went....

Seat selection is available - I changed my allocated EDI-FRA seat from an aisle to a window. Nice clean interface.

I was travelling on to MUC - the machine figured this out and asked for the appropriate coupon - during processsing it didn't show me a seatmap and when it spat out the coupon, I found that it had allocated me 36H

I reinserted the coupon to change the seat to something a bit more humane, but in fact I already had been allocated the "best" possible seat on the flight - the only green spaces were either behind me or in the middle of a 2-4-2 row.

My DC number was on the booking - the machine gave me a message that points had been credited, but did not say to which account (my Travel Agent sometimes use my Blue number, sometimes the Silver). I've just checked and the Tuesday flights have credited correctly - hopefully the point for todays flights will as well.
Old Jul 11, 03, 12:35 pm

Last week I tried to use the machines at LHR. It told me my ticket was not valid. The ticket had been misprinted (Routepass issued 20MAY, expires 21MAY), so I wasn't surprised.

Anyway, yesterday I tried again with a new Routepass ticket. I already have next year's BD gold under my belt, so I am now back collecting on LH M&M. I put in the ticket and my Luftymiles(tm) card, and the machine offered me my flight, then a seat. I would have preferred a window, but it said there weren't any available, so I chose 20C instead. It duly printed my ticket, but without a seat number. As if by magic, a Helpful Person appeared. When he checked on the system, he said I had been put on standby (this was despite having a confirmed reservation), but managed to find me a window seat. He then found I had two seats booked - one with my DC number, and one with the LH number. He eventually managed to delete the spare booking and, three boarding passes later, put my miles onto my LH account. He also gave me an upgrade, which was nice.

In short, I was not too impressed with the machines, and won't be rushing to use them again.
Old Jul 11, 03, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA and CX. (Disgruntled UA Lifetime Plat) - No hotel loyalty anymore
On pure LH bookings with the LH machines, dupe bookings can cause the same hell as well...
Old Jul 11, 03, 2:51 pm

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
I watched three people attempt to use the machines last week at LHR, all failed with messages like they had no valid ticket on their card. I was therefore not inclined to try. Instead, I joined a queue that took 25 mins to get to the front of, not surprising maybe except that it was the *G queue. Less than 50% of the desks were open across the whole check-in area.

I asked to see a supervisor, the response was that she wouldn't do anything about the queue and that there was no point and that I should just stay in the queue. At that point the person policing the queue simply turned her back to me as if to dismiss me, I asked her not to behave like that when I was talking to her and she walked away.

BMI really have lost the plot on customer service at LHR so badly that I think they will probably never find it! I'm off to the competition for shorthaul from now on.

[This message has been edited by lhrpete (edited 07-12-2003).]
Old Jul 14, 03, 10:23 am

Programs: BA Gold; SQ PPS; UA Gold; LH FTL; Flying Blue Silver; Starwood Gold; ICHG AMB; Hyatt Platinum;
I flew out of LHR twice with BD last week. Checked in during the morning peak in less than 90 seconds from joining the non-existent queue, to leaving with my BP and baggage receipt.

I was travelling on standard economy tickets and didn't need to use the *G queue either.

Of course, I was checking in at Paddington and not T1 - despite the GBP25 rip-off return ticket, I really value this service from the perspective of saving stress and aggro.

Old Jul 25, 03, 10:31 am

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA and CX. (Disgruntled UA Lifetime Plat) - No hotel loyalty anymore
At LHR This Monday... I saw NOT a single person using the BD self check in machines... None of the BD line greaters were walking people over if they were hand baggage only to use the machines...

Hope this changes, or some penny pincher in finance will drop them...
Old Jul 27, 03, 5:47 pm

Had a bad experience with the BD self service machines last week when checking in for my LHR - GLA rtn leg. Mind you it was Saturday 19th July when all of the BA check-in staff walked out !

Just like my outbou8nd leg, the machine failed to recognise my dc Gold Card, saying that there was not a flight for my card. At both GLA and LHR, only one of their machines was working, the other(s) having some sort of issue.

Eventually had to check in by joining the huge queues. Eventually got on fine with my pre-arranged seat and had a great time in the virtually empty airside of T1. Glad I wasn't with BA that day...

On a more serious note, if bmi are going to invest in this technology, make sure it works or even the early adopters will be put off using it and the investment will take longer to recoup it's costs.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: