Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Self-service check-in machines are coming

Self-service check-in machines are coming

Old Jun 15, 03, 11:48 am

I was chatting with one of the LH team that supports the BMI IT at LHR
Old Jun 16, 03, 3:01 am

Programs: LH SEN, SQ PPS
Flying thru LHR yesterday I saw hoarding with the familiar bmi logo against the brown / bronze panel (like at the LHR ticket desk). Looks like where the machines will be, right in front of the BA domestic check in area and beyond the BA self service machines as you walk towards security.
Old Jun 16, 03, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA and CX. (Disgruntled UA Lifetime Plat) - No hotel loyalty anymore
Right now 2 positions near the main check in area (across from The Tie Rack/Sock Shop?) and 4 positions across from domestic BA check in (past the BA self check in machines). All seemed to be wired, BUT NO MACHINES YET!
Old Jun 16, 03, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
It's fair to say the software issues have been driving BD nuts over the past few weeks. One of the ticket desk staff from EDI was supposed to go down to Donnington Hall for training on the new machines last week but was told not to bother at the last minute because they weren't ready. And those booths at LHR have been drilled into the floor (and wired) but there's no sign of the machines yet.

Depressing to see BA's smart bank of gleaming self-service machines and quietly efficient check-in desks at one end of T1, as opposed to BD's six half-finished self-service points and mobbed desks, complete with 100+ snaking queue, at the other.
Old Jun 17, 03, 5:13 am

Programs: VS/BA/CX/EK
Chaos again at LHR this morning. 15min queue for C checkin, 30mins for Y. According to customer services they "don't know when" the self service machines will be operational.

Pathetic project management if you ask me.

BC
Old Jun 17, 03, 2:28 pm

Spoke to my source again this morning asked him what was going on. He shrugged his shoulders and went off muttering something about the end of this month!!.

I am afraid I will not be holding my breath on this one.
Old Jun 24, 03, 11:30 am

Programs: Various lustrous chemical elements
According to the latest diamond club newsletter...

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Self service check-in

Fly through the airport with the new self service check-in from bmi.

bmi will be introducing self service check-in machines at London Heathrow Terminal 1, Glasgow and Edinburgh over the next few weeks. You can now enjoy the benefits of using new modern touch screen technology to check-in.

You can also:
* select your own seat from an on-screen map
* check-in for your return flight if within 24 hours
* credit your diamond club miles
* maximise the benefits of e-ticket when you travel</font>
Old Jun 24, 03, 11:40 am

Articles in this thread

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum82/HTML/001051.html

Suggest that you could check in for BD flights already with the LH or SK Electronic check ins... may try it in Brussels tomorrow especially as this is a code share.

If this works, with 30 mins queues in T1 could be quicker to check in at LH machine in T2 and walk to T1.
Old Jun 24, 03, 11:54 am

Programs: VS/BA/CX/EK
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Raldal:
Spoke to my source again this morning asked him what was going on. He shrugged his shoulders and went off muttering something about the end of this month!!.

I am afraid I will not be holding my breath on this one.
</font>
Guy at LHR check-in yesterday said 2 months!

BC
Old Jun 24, 03, 12:33 pm

Spoke again to my "source" Reckons that machines will be installed this Friday, tested out this Saturday and be ready from Sunday Onwards......

Ralph
Old Jun 25, 03, 4:50 am

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
An announcement in this morning's promotional mail:

http://www.flybmi.com/diamondclub/en...?p=1680&eid=53
Old Jun 25, 03, 8:34 am

Programs: Lots of shiny metallic ones.
Two machines are being installed in GLA &lt;right now&gt;. The two machines are by the door, on the left hand side as you walk in towards the BMI checkin desk (door 3).

Looks like the tech. guys are having a couple problems with them (keyboards out, laptops in use, lots of phone calls) but it looks positive.

I guess the little blue boxes should be up and running within hours...! (shame it wasn't in time for me to try them...)
Old Jun 25, 03, 10:51 am

Programs: Lowest of the low in all airline programs but I am in the EZY FF Program!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Tall Bloke:
Suggest that you could check in for BD flights already with the LH or SK Electronic check ins... may try it in Brussels tomorrow especially as this is a code share.</font>
When flying CPH-EDI last year on BD I was able to use the Self Service machines at CPH with an ATB type ticket.
Old Jun 25, 03, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by preiffer:
Two machines are being installed in GLA &lt;right now&gt;. The two machines are by the door, on the left hand side as you walk in towards the BMI checkin desk (door 3).

Looks like the tech. guys are having a couple problems with them (keyboards out, laptops in use, lots of phone calls) but it looks positive.

I guess the little blue boxes should be up and running within hours...! (shame it wasn't in time for me to try them...)
</font>
Laptops and phones out can also be a good sign, could mean they are just testing connections to BD's central systems...
Old Jun 25, 03, 5:23 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Gaza:
When flying CPH-EDI last year on BD I was able to use the Self Service machines at CPH with an ATB type ticket.</font>
Neither the SAS or the LH machines in Brussels this evening would let me check in with an ATB ticket. Queues at Brussels check in aren't bad so it was more of an experiment that a need!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: