BMI and Staralliance

Old Jul 2, 03, 12:54 am
Original Poster

BMI and Staralliance

I am trying to book a flight out of MAN to either ORD or IAD on BD using a C (I) award. UA says there are no more seats in biz but according to the "seatmap checker" there are NO seats assigned on the Aug. 25th flight. Is anyone else having trouble booking award travel on BD? Is it true BD is cutting the number of seats it is setting aside for award travel? Are there certain routes that award seats are no allocated?
Old Jul 2, 03, 2:02 am

Programs: Lowest of the low in all airline programs but I am in the EZY FF Program!
bmi Diamond Club members cannot book Business or First awards on UA as there is no agreement in place allowing this. Therefore I assume the reciprocal is true. According to bmi negociations are taking place between the two companies to resolve this.
Old Jul 2, 03, 8:08 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Gaza:
bmi Diamond Club members cannot book Business or First awards on UA as there is no agreement in place allowing this. Therefore I assume the reciprocal is true. According to bmi negociations are taking place between the two companies to resolve this.</font>
Gaza,

Can I just clarify - are you saying that I can't use my Diamond Club miles to book business class flights on United Airlines?

If this is the case then I think they really should make this a bit clearer in their booklet - one of the main reasons I'm collecting all these miles is to take nice business class flights to the US!

Thanks,

Richard
Old Jul 2, 03, 10:08 am

Programs: Lowest of the low in all airline programs but I am in the EZY FF Program!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pbsis:
Gaza,

Can I just clarify - are you saying that I can't use my Diamond Club miles to book business class flights on United Airlines?

If this is the case then I think they really should make this a bit clearer in their booklet - one of the main reasons I'm collecting all these miles is to take nice business class flights to the US!
</font>
That is EXACTLY what I am saying. You can redeem Miles for Business and First on other *A carriers but not UA. I've read this somewhere but also had it clarified on the phone.
Old Jul 2, 03, 10:32 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Gaza:
That is EXACTLY what I am saying. You can redeem Miles for Business and First on other *A carriers but not UA. I've read this somewhere but also had it clarified on the phone. </font>
Thanks Gaza - you were pretty clear the first time round, but I just wanted to make completely sure.

I'm suddenly not as impressed with DC miles are I was - hopefully they'll get these negotiations going soon. I've got about 90000 miles now and I was looking forward to using them (+ probably some cash) to fly somewhere in the US in the autumn.

I guess I could always fly to Chicago then take an internal flight...

Anyway, thanks very much for the clarification!
Old Jul 2, 03, 10:59 am

While the non-availability of UA premium cabins is certainly a bit pants, pbsis, don't through the baby out with the bathwater. Not only are there the bmi xatlantic flights ex MAN, but you could transfer through Germany or Scandinavia to fly LH or SAS, you could redeem on VS, and I believe both SQ and Air New Zealand run some direct routes to the US from LHR...
Old Jul 2, 03, 3:39 pm

Programs: BD Blue+, LH Blue, VS Red (nothing metallic: I don't get out much these days.....)
And though I've not flown any of them myself , a browse through the STAR forum gives the distinct impression that UA biz sucks ( although not bad as First , based on the story of the guy who regularly downgrades himself !! ) whereas BD C gets almost universal praise

I'd fly to ORD and suffer a UA Y domestic ( and I probably will at some stage )
Old Jul 3, 03, 6:24 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pbsis:
Thanks Gaza - you were pretty clear the first time round, but I just wanted to make completely sure!</font>
Sorry if you misintrepreted my emphasis on EXACTLY. My frustration is s with bmi and UA not you!

Old Jul 4, 03, 3:48 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by DClass4Me:
the STAR forum gives the distinct impression that UA biz sucks</font>
Well, it ain't the greatest, but it sure beats UA Y! Would definitely be worth ponying up the points for if overnight or west coast, but probably not worth the cash...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: