Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transatlantic upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2003, 5:32 am
Original Poster

Transatlantic upgrade

If I booked a transactlantic ticket Manchester to Chicago, what would everyone say my chances of being able to use the gold card upgrade vouchers to upgrade me and Mrs J to new economy? (I don't have enough miles to pay for us both to fly on award tickets)

Has anyone done this successfully?

Thanks

TJ
Old Jun 25, 2003, 6:59 am

I'm going to try this tomorrow on the MAN-IAD service. I'll let you know how I get on.

Stephen
Old Jun 25, 2003, 7:54 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Should be easy, especially on the outbound, as the New Economy cabin is rarely full.

Checking in at MAN, I presume?
Old Jun 25, 2003, 8:05 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ajamieson:
Checking in at MAN, I presume?</font>
Yes, I was going to use the cunning plan of booking both the tickets using miles and cash, however the gold card line has informed me that these tickets will not be eligable for gold card upgrade, so I assume it is tickets booked on miles only. :-(

TJ
Old Jun 25, 2003, 9:53 am

Programs: DL DM, HiltonHHonors Gold, Hertz PC (thru DL)
Slightly off topic (apologies), but I also have a question about New Economy upgrades.

I was told by an FA flying out to ORD last week that you can now upgrade to New Economy 'on the day' for cash. Has anybody done this and know how it works? I quite fancy doing this at the weekend for my flight home.

Thanks for any replies.
Phil.
Old Jun 25, 2003, 10:27 am

Phil,

I have done this several times flying out of MAN, ORD and IAD. The cheapest from MAN I have paid is £99.00 but there were two of us travelling. At IAD and ORD the amount tends to vary from $150.00 to $200.00. All are from econ to new econ. Definitely ask and definitely barter!
Old Jun 25, 2003, 12:43 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by UABulkheadIsle:
Phil,

I have done this several times flying out of MAN, ORD and IAD. The cheapest from MAN I have paid is £99.00 but there were two of us travelling. At IAD and ORD the amount tends to vary from $150.00 to $200.00. All are from econ to new econ. Definitely ask and definitely barter!
</font>

Puts my gold pgrade vouchers into context.

Stephen
Old Jun 30, 2003, 2:43 pm

Hi folks

Flew MAN-Iad on 26th June and was upgraded to "The New Economy" thingy at the gate using my Gold Upgrade Voucher. Normal Y was packed. New Economy was half full and Business Class looked as if there were about 3 folk in it.

Stephen
Old Jun 30, 2003, 2:49 pm

And what was it like ... ?
Old Jun 30, 2003, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sjharte:
Flew MAN-Iad on 26th June and was upgraded to "The New Economy" thingy at the gate using my Gold Upgrade Voucher. Normal Y was packed. New Economy was half full and Business Class looked as if there were about 3 folk in it.</font>
Stephen -- must have bumped into you in the MAN lounge on Thursday -- was the guy lugging around a sh!tload of carry-on bags...
Old Jul 1, 2003, 1:21 am

Programs: DL DM, HiltonHHonors Gold, Hertz PC (thru DL)
Hello all.

As a follow up to my earlier post, I was able to upgrade to New-Economy for my ORD-MAN leg, for $150 and it was money well spent. From the looks of it, Y was full, NE had about 3 spare seats and C was about half full.

It was another excellent transaltantic bmi flight, except for the half hour taxi on arrival at MAN and the UA staff failing to load about 70 bags onto the a/c in ORD, leading to a large mess in the baggage reclaim hall!

Phil.
Old Jul 3, 2003, 4:04 am

Programs: BD*G
My SIL just flew the other day MAN - ORD. Paid £200 upgrade at desk for New Econ return.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.