Mileage run, anyone?

Old Jan 29, 03, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

Mileage run, anyone?

I can hardly believe I'm posting this...

I've miscalculated between UA and BD, and it looks like unless something unexpected happens in the next 3 weeks I'm going to be 50 points short for Gold. So...

I'm looking to do this in a day. I want to minimise time and expense, and now that bmi have got rid of the Saturday night there's no need for a hotel stay too.

My plan is to start at London (I assume LHR as the City flights to Germany will be more expensive). I plan to do 5 segments, LHR - A - B - C - D - LHR in the day. Booking on a Saturday for the last weekend of Feb shows an awful lot of domestic fares at 11.50.

In addition to "anyone got any bright ideas", I'm particularly interested in which airports have the lowest taxes...

And of course, if anyone else finds themselves in a similar position and cares to join in and alleviate the tedium, that would be appreciated!

[This message has been edited by Wingnut (edited 01-29-2003).]
Old Jan 30, 03, 7:24 am

Why not try one less airport...?

Go:

LHR - MAN BD 582
MAN - EDI BD 383
EDI - FRA BD 3489 (LH codeshare)
FRA - LON BD 3232 (tight on time) or BD 3204

This gets you 50 pts (15 each for the FRA journey) and I think that LH have some good deals on just now so you might want to book with them for the FRA leg instead of bmi.

Wish I could join you but am in the middle of a holiday in South Africa just then (going on LH !)

------------------
Bond Boy
Old Jan 30, 03, 8:16 am
Original Poster

My understanding is that the cheap single / return before Sunday fares are only offered on BD metal and that all the codeshares operate on "traditional" pricing...
Old Jan 30, 03, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How about LHR-MAN-EDI-ABZ-MAN-LHR? I have no clue what the taxes are or whether you could do it all in one day or not though...

[This message has been edited by YOWkid (edited 01-30-2003).]
Old Jan 30, 03, 10:10 am

Programs: BA Gold; SQ PPS; UA Gold; LH FTL; Flying Blue Silver; Starwood Gold; ICHG AMB; Hyatt Platinum;
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Wingnut:
My understanding is that the cheap single / return before Sunday fares are only offered on BD metal and that all the codeshares operate on "traditional" pricing...</font>
Absolutely - even the BD metal flights to Germany, such as LHR-HAJ, are excluded from the one way pricing structure. Try pricing LHR-FRA on the BD website without staying over Saturday night and you'll see what Wingnut means. SK-operated flights require the overnight stay as well. The only exception to this might be BD regional flights to CPH from EDI and LBA.

[This message has been edited by House (edited 01-30-2003).]
Old Jan 30, 03, 3:05 pm

Can't believe you're willing to do this for gold status - and can't believe I've checked the flights! :-)

Saturday 22 February

ROUTE.......FLIGHT.......DEPART.......ARRIVE...... .COST.......TAX.......TOTAL

LHR &gt; GLA.......BD016.......7:35.......8:55.......11.50 .......12.50.......24.00
GLA &gt; MAN.......BD398.......9:45.......10:40.......21.5 0.......15.90.......37.40
MAN &gt; LHR.......BD589.......14:15.......15:15.......11. 50.......15.90.......27.40
LHR &gt; GLA.......BD010.......17:20.......18:45.......11. 50.......12.50.......24.00
GLA &gt; LHR.......BD013.......19:25.......20:55.......11. 50.......15.90.......27.40

GRAND TOTAL 140.20

Assumes you pay by debit card rather than credit card.

For variety (!) you could fly in and out of Edinburgh as the last two flights, but it's 35 more expensive and the connection is tighter.

I've concentrated on getting the cheapest flights, so some of the connections are not as tight as they could be, but that'd give you some time to explore the airports or relax in the DC lounge.

Alternatively - you could do it in style and spend around 280 to do one domestic return in business class and collect 60 DC points.

One major problem with doing 5 flights in one day is that when one is delayed your whole plan could be scuppered.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Nick

PS. One last thought - isn't there some very important reason that you need to make a business trip this month? ;-)

[edited to fix the formatting of the routes and pricing]

[This message has been edited by StarAllianceGold (edited 01-30-2003).]

[This message has been edited by StarAllianceGold (edited 01-30-2003).]
Old Jan 30, 03, 3:22 pm

I'm trying to think of ways to keep interest up over 5 flights in one day.

How about travelling on 3 different types of plane? I'm sure you could make it 5.

This is just getting out of hand !

Nick

LHR&gt; GLA Fokker 100
GLA &gt; MAN Embraer 135
MAN &gt; LHR Fokker 100
LHR &gt; GLA Airbus A320
GLA &gt; LHR Airbus A320
Old Jan 30, 03, 4:17 pm

Can you not pick up a cheap UA rtn to JFK, ORD or IAD ? 195 points each way, but I think that you could get it for less than the cost of Domestic C on bmi.

Better still, get up to MAN and go to IAD on bmi...you can use those nice little upgrade vouchers before thy "expire" at the end of Feb.

I know it is a night stop-over but timed right, you could take in a show or something!
Old Jan 30, 03, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all your help, Nick.

I've put Edinburgh in the morning, and saved a few quid. It's now in at 131.20, although I might stump up another tenner for an extra hour in bed. Does anyone have any other advice before I book it?

0735-0850 LHR EDI BD066 24.00
1125-1220 EDI MAN BD398 28.40
1415-1515 MAN LHR BD589 27.40
1720-1845 LHR GLA BD010 24.00
1925-2055 GLA LHR BD013 27.40

Now I need to know about the lounges in MAN and GLA, and also what the C/Y catering is likely to be on each flight as I have some spare u/g vouchers that I need to choose when to use...

This gets me into Edinburgh and saves me a few quid with a couple of hours for a quick breakfast at the City Restaurant . And I don't have to suffer the embarrassment of turning round with the same crew until the end of the day. Lordy, I think I might do this properly and write a trip report and everything...
Old Jan 30, 03, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

I did think of JFK/LHR, BondBoy, but I've done that a lot recently and the thought of all those hours in Y and all those hours inbetween hoping for the op u/g fill me with dread.

MAN-ORD, though... there's an idea... but my vouchers will only get me into E+ won't they? Not into J?
Old Jan 30, 03, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why is it you are paying so much tax? Aren't taxes (excluding airport fees and those types of surcharges) paid once for an entire itinerary?
Old Jan 30, 03, 5:08 pm

Wingnut,

Looks like a plan - though I still can't believe you'd put yourself through five flights in one day!

I'd upgrade on the LHR - GLA flights and the LHR-EDI one, as the others will be operated with planes (Embraer and Fokker 100)where the business class seats are the same layout as in economy.

I particularly enjoy flying business class on off-peak flights. It's so much better when there are only 5 or 6 rows of C class rather than the 30 or so on a peak time Airbus 321.

The GLA Gold lounge is superb. Only been in once but we got genuinely personal waitress service and were led out to the plane with the Q held up to allow us on.

The MAN lounge is pretty disappointing, as it seems to have a fairly limited selection of magazines.

Please post a trip report - I'll be interested to know what the lounge and security staff make of your frequent visits!

Cheers

Nick
Old Jan 30, 03, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Nick, where do you find the info on what flight is operated by what equipment?
Old Jan 31, 03, 5:00 am

Wingnut,

It's from a site I discovered in anoher Flyertalk forum:

http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/people/...leo/frame.html

It provides access to the Gallileo system, which I think is one of the main travel agent systems.

The actual site is in German, but the entry fields and help are in English. The language isn't a problem though as it's mainly airport codes, aircraft codes and times.

As well as the aircraft type which will operate the flight it also tells you how many seats are still available in each class (with 9 meaning there are 9 or more seats available).

I find it helpful to know if the EDI&gt;LHR flight is being operated by an A321 or an A320 - if it's an A321 then I like to get an extra legroom seat pre-assigned.

It can also be useful to figure out your chances of an upgrade.

It's well worth adding to your favourites.

Cheers

Nick

[edited to correct grammar]

[This message has been edited by StarAllianceGold (edited 01-31-2003).]
Old Jan 31, 03, 6:13 am

I fly out of GLA a lot and think that the *G lounge is great...echoing earlier comments, especially about the waitress service.

In my experience, they dont do meals but do have a good selection of drinks and nibbles. There's not much of a view so I normally go in the corner with the TV...

Good show on the ticket prices. Use the UG's on the EDI and GLA flights as C is very quiet on Saturdays.

Have fun

Search this Thread
Search Engine: