Community
Wiki Posts
Search

vouchers

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2003, 3:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
vouchers

We have really struggled using the upgrade vouchers. Indeed the BMI staff at Glasgow the other day said they were a waste of time as meals were never available.

how does this tie in with "as gold where possible you and a companion will be upgraded at no additional charge". It has never happened to us and when we ask we are told it very rarely does.
Old May 9, 2003, 5:38 am

Used my four vouchers to upgrade my girlfriend and I on an EDI>LHR return.

At EDI they had to check with dispatch that there were enough meals on board (as apparently the flight is "return catered" at LHR). We were lucky and got the last two meals.

No issues at LHR on the return.

As far as the "promise" to upgrade wherever possible - I understand it only applies to reward flights, not paid flights. So you only need to use the vouchers when travelling on a paid flight.

Nick
Old May 9, 2003, 5:50 am

I've never had a problem with use of vouchers (and I got through 8 last year). The catering can be an issue as I believe the vast majority of shorthaul flights are "back catered" (ie the food for the return leg is loaded at LHR before the outward leg sets out) further to a conversation I had with a lovely girl in the lounge during my mileage run. What happens on the first flight of the day when an aircraft has spent the night out of LHR, no-one knows...

The promise to UG Gold does indeed apply only to award flights, and it happens at time of reservation. If there's space in C when you book, they'll allocate you C seats there and then.

[This message has been edited by Wingnut (edited 06-19-2003).]
Old May 9, 2003, 8:19 am

So if you book a BD flight as part of a longer mixed star alliance routing you get C (or new economy on the transatlantic) on BD metal?

Stephen
Old May 9, 2003, 8:25 am

I would think so (although haven't done this myself) providing it's booked through DC on a bmi flight #.
Old May 9, 2003, 12:06 pm

If space is available, as a *G on a reward ticket you will get upgraded to new economy at the time of booking (and a companion). I did this for flights to IAD in August.
Old May 12, 2003, 5:08 am

Programs: BD DC, KL FB, HH
Just returned from using 4 vouchers to upgrade a MAN-ORD rtn to New Econ. Very nice.

Getting hold of the vouchers was a bit of struggle - it took 6 phone-calls over a 5-week period, and they eventually turned up the day before I travelled!

I note the DC FAQ says extra vouchers are still available - 21k miles for 4.

[This message has been edited by grayst (edited 05-12-2003).]
Old May 12, 2003, 7:19 am

I just turned gold before the scheme changed and have yet to have my pack or my vouchers.

Will let you know if I receive any.

Stephen
Old May 13, 2003, 12:09 am

I know that if I buy a flight using diamond club miles I get upgraded to next higher class.

Does the same benefit apply if I buy a flight using a combination of miles and cash?

TJ
Old May 15, 2003, 2:07 am

Can I use my Gold upgrade vouchers to upgrade a Manchester to Chicago flight?

Also, if you book a flight using bmi miles you are upgraded to the next class of service. Is the ticket issued for the higher class, or issued for the lower class and the upgrade is done at the airport?

Thanks

TJ
Old May 15, 2003, 3:52 am

Jester, the tickets are issued in the upgraded class (you should be able to get a seat assignment when booking).

I think you can use your vouchers on transatlantic, but only economy to new economy?
Old May 15, 2003, 4:05 am

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
Awards reserved using miles will be upgraded by one class at the time of booking, subject to availability. So short haul Y becomes C. Long haul Economy, becomes New Economy, and a New Economy ticket becomes The Business.

The vouchers are a different thing altogether - they are for walk-up upgrades. If you fancy an upgrade while checking in, wave the voucher. Then approach the desk at the gate and they'll give you a new C boarding card, and usually take the voucher off you. If they don't, then happy days.
Old May 15, 2003, 4:13 am

Thanks GC and Curly, good to see a fellow West Yorkshireite on here!

TJ
Old May 18, 2003, 10:10 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by GoldCircle:
Awards reserved using miles will be upgraded by one class at the time of booking, subject to availability. So short haul Y becomes C. Long haul Economy, becomes New Economy, and a New Economy ticket becomes The Business.
</font>
Are you saying upgrades to The Business are now official? They weren't as of about a year ago, and I found they often weren't accepted, even when there was loads of room up front.

m (make that 3 in West Yorks)
Old May 18, 2003, 12:29 pm

Programs: BD Blue+, LH Blue, VS Red (nothing metallic: I don't get out much these days.....)
plus I can't see a redemption rate for New Economy on BD anywhere ( or any *A enhanced economy for that matter )

im sure the old points "spending guide" listed a rate for new economy

or am i just being dense ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.