FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   bmi | Diamond Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-diamond-club-486/)
-   -   Upgrade? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-diamond-club/36669-upgrade.html)

smithindc Jun 12, 2003 8:34 am

Upgrade?

I'm flying IAD to MAN on the UA codeshare. I was disappointed to learn that the codeshare doesn't let you use United miles to upgrade on BMI. My Premier Executive status didn't even get me a decent seat (37H). Do I have any other options for upgrading or getting a better seat?

sjharte Jun 12, 2003 9:57 am

I flew MAN-ORD-MAN as a BD Gold and didn't get an upgrade to the Economy Plus seats.

:-(

Don't hold your breath.

Stephen

TheJester Jun 12, 2003 10:00 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sjharte:
I flew MAN-ORD-MAN as a BD Gold and didn't get an upgrade to the Economy Plus seats.
</font>
You would have been upgraded if you had used your gold card upgrade certificates or had booked the flight using miles.

TJ

sjharte Jun 12, 2003 4:54 pm

still waiting on the ceritificates.....every time I call i am told they are on their way. I became Gold at Easter.

100,000miler Jun 13, 2003 11:53 am

One of the big problems with *A, and all alliances for that matter, is the inability to use certs to upgrade when it is a code share with other metal! I do not understand why it cannot be done as your partner is buying seats on the other airline, and marketing the flight as it was their own plane. Often one does not know it is other metal until you arrive at the gate!

Very unfair in my opinion.

Further, BD has to be the tighest airline offering upgrades. Last week I flew 4 times from LHR to CDG, and as an AC SE, I was not given only the cold shoulder and very polite misinformation that British airlines are infamous for!

Wingnut Jun 14, 2003 7:07 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by 100,000miler:
Further, BD has to be the tighest airline offering upgrades.</font>
Not true. Second tightest. See here.

kt74 Jun 16, 2003 2:10 am

It's a shame that we can't even use bmi miles to upgrade on bmi metal - never mind UA miles... Hopefully this will be fixed, although the BD*G vouchers and guaranteed award upgrade are still pretty generous.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by 100,000miler:
Further, BD has to be the tighest airline offering upgrades</font>
Wingnut is right - compared to BA, upgrades on bmi are a doddle... I've seen plenty of people upgraded on the basis of "a tight connection at LHR". But never mind BA, has any non-SQ *G ever gotten an upgrade on SQ???

As for my experience on bmi as a BD*S, I've had (operational) upgrades on 3 out of the last 15 flights I have taken in the past 3 months. Yesterday I got an upgrade wearing shorts and open-toed sandals (well, it was hot; it was scheduled to be a F100; there is no discernable air conditioning on F100s). Admittedly I have just made BD*G (yay!), but that wasn't in the reservation.

I think with upgrades you just have to be (a) lucky and (b) grateful. High *A status just pushes you up the list, but should not be seen as a guarantee of anything.

smithindc Jun 16, 2003 9:49 am

It turns out I was able to upgrade to "New Economy" for $150. Apparently, this is BMI's version of business class. I was quite pleased with the value, and I ended up having a whole row of 5 seats to myself.

g-wwbm Jun 17, 2003 9:13 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by smithindc:
My Premier Executive status didn't even get me a decent seat (37H). Do I have any other options for upgrading or getting a better seat?</font>
I've flown MAN-ORD/IAD with bmi several times as a lowly MP member and then a Premier and have never had any problems whatsoever getting a bulkhead or exit row seat. I just called MP and asked for them and they were assigned instantly.

At least as a 1P you can avoid the outrageous queues at MAN check in. I arrived for the ORD flight last week 45 minutes before check-in opened and there were 50 people already waiting!

Enjoy your trip.

sjharte Jun 17, 2003 9:16 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by smithindc:
It turns out I was able to upgrade to "New Economy" for $150. Apparently, this is BMI's version of business class. I was quite pleased with the value, and I ended up having a whole row of 5 seats to myself.</font>

It's not Business Class - The New Economy is premium economy like WT+ on BA.

Stephen