Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

BD592 to be operated by Lufthansa today!?!

Old Jun 13, 03, 3:46 am
Original Poster

Hi everyone!

I've just had a call from my company's travel service telling me that today's BD592 flight that I catch nearly every week (LHR > MAN 18:05) is going to be operated by Lufthansa.

Because of this BMI won't let us use our corporate business fare and we'll have to pay an extra £100 for the full business class fare!

Has anyone seen this happen before? It seems a bit crap to me that just because they're using a different aircraft I should not get the deal I've been faithfully using with them for about 6 months?

I hope this is just a one-off...

Cheers,

Richard

Old Jun 13, 03, 9:33 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Choice Diamond, Alaska 75K
I did not realise foreign aircraft could do domestic UK routes with their metal.
Old Jun 14, 03, 7:02 pm

Programs: LH au VS au BMI au
some time ago - must be 3 years, i was suprised to be greeted onto an LH plane with LH crew for a flight from AMS to LHR - was a Sunday morning, and i was the only person in C
Old Jun 15, 03, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by davistev:
I did not realise foreign aircraft could do domestic UK routes with their metal.</font>
One of the joys of the Open Skies policy of the EU - any EU arline can operate any EU route.

Most airlines have been slow on the uptake, though easyJet (French domestic flights) and Ryanair (an Irish airline operating between STN and PIK, etc) have been on to it for years. (Buzz, too, on French domestic routes, but sadly no more .)
Old Jun 16, 03, 1:51 am

Programs: Lowest of the low in all airline programs but I am in the EZY FF Program!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pbsis:
I've just had a call from my company's travel service telling me that today's BD592 flight that I catch nearly every week (LHR &gt; MAN 18:05) is going to be operated by Lufthansa.

Because of this BMI won't let us use our corporate business fare and we'll have to pay an extra £100 for the full business class fare!
</font>
I think the TA got this very wrong. They probably had a message from bmi about the aircraft change and made the assumption that your ticket was invalid. Route deal fares are normally only valid on the specific carrier and not on any codeshares. As LH were probably operating this for bmi on a charter basis with a BD flight number then your route deal should have been valid.

I can only assume that BD have some fleet problems. The A321 damaged by hail is probably still out of service and if they have had any other aircraft going tech they have leased in some short term capacity.
Old Jun 16, 03, 10:36 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Gaza:
I think the TA got this very wrong. They probably had a message from bmi about the aircraft change and made the assumption that your ticket was invalid. Route deal fares are normally only valid on the specific carrier and not on any codeshares. As LH were probably operating this for bmi on a charter basis with a BD flight number then your route deal should have been valid.

I can only assume that BD have some fleet problems. The A321 damaged by hail is probably still out of service and if they have had any other aircraft going tech they have leased in some short term capacity.
</font>
Well in the end there was nothing unusual about our flight at all. The plane was a standard bmi A320 with a fully bmi crew that I've flown with numerous times before.

It was strange when I looked into this further because the booking system (Galileo) did indeed indicate that the flight was a codeshare. However, when I looked for the same flight under Lufthansa, then the flight didn't exist (and wasn't in their timetable either).

So basically the bmi / flight system thought the flight was a codeshare being operated by Lufthansa, but actually had nothing to do with them...

I'm now just annoyed that they've basically overcharged us by nearly £200! I don't think it was the TA's fault as they called bmi to query why they weren't able to book the corporate fare.

A little complaint to bmi may be in order...
Old Jun 16, 03, 5:19 pm

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Gold, Marriott Lifetime Premier Platinum
I'm with Gaza on this one. I cannot begin to understand how anyone (your TA or bmi) could think the airline's operational arrangements for aircraft provision could have anything to do with revenue from the seats or fare structures.
Old Jun 17, 03, 1:33 am

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
Hmmm, was checking out my usual CDG-LHR on Galileo this morning, and it shows BD184 as a "@" codeshare operated by a 732 for most of this week... There have also been a number of aircraft switches and tech delays out of LHR. So maybe bmi is wet-leasing capacity from LH?

But certainly should not affect pricing... Sounds like a cheeky travel agent wants to make more commission and is using aircraft change as an excuse...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: