Search

bmi LAX

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2003, 12:09 am
Original Poster

bmi LAX

Is bmi coming to LAX? And when?

------------------
American Airlines, A subsidiary of UAL Corp.
Free Headphones, Free Movies, Free Short Subjects, Channel 9, and more only on UNITED on ALL MAINLINE FLIGHTS.
Old May 20, 2003, 1:03 am

Not seen anything about LAX on the website. Why do you think they are?

TJ
Old May 20, 2003, 2:15 am

I'd say it was very unlikely. LAX is too far for a daily rotation with a single aircraft. Also not good for connecting traffic.

Is LAX a UA hub anyway?
Old May 20, 2003, 4:05 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
When we flew with BMI the other day we were chatting to the cabin crew who were excited as they had been told BMI were soon to start flights to LAX from manchester. They were looking forward to getting longer stop overs.
Old May 20, 2003, 4:20 am

Programs: Still a lowly Blue with BA but inching towards Bronze. Managed to get to KLM Silver!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by simonsmith:
When we flew with BMI the other day we were chatting to the cabin crew who were excited as they had been told BMI were soon to start flights to LAX from manchester. They were looking forward to getting longer stop overs.</font>
I'm with small em on this. bmi have three A330's. One is on lease to SA the other two are comitted to IAD and ORD. Looking at the current BA schedules shows that one aircraft cannot operate a UK-LAX-UK service. The total round trip time is in excess of 24 hours. With some creative rescheduling on IAD and ORD it may be posible but I think it is unlikely.

Old May 20, 2003, 9:19 am

What's the point of BD running anymore long haul services now they are offering only half miles on most economy tickets?
Old May 20, 2003, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The catch is to credit to a different FFP, like AC or UA. That's the point, I think. Show bmi that they are losing out...

Or maybe they are expecting us to this so they can get more "free" revenue? -- after all, all the *A carriers have to buy the miles off of each other. Could this be their strategy?

[This message has been edited by YOWkid (edited 05-20-2003).]
Old May 20, 2003, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by simonsmith:
When we flew with BMI the other day we were chatting to the cabin crew who were excited as they had been told BMI were soon to start flights to LAX from manchester. They were looking forward to getting longer stop overs.</font>
Maybe they'll operate with UA or LH aircraft and BD will staff it and run the flight and then split the profits between the two carriers?

Or... it'll be like a three-times a week service? When does BD get the 330 back from SAA?

[This message has been edited by YOWkid (edited 05-20-2003).]
Old May 20, 2003, 10:29 am

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold
BA tried using a 767 to run daily services MAN-LAX-MAN a while back (for the summer timetable in 1997 or 1998 IIRC). They stopped due to disappointing load factors.

I would have expected a run to SFO (a UA hub) ahead of LAX (a sort-of UA mini-hub), but in some ways it might make sense. LAX is THE gateway airport to the Pacific, and would allow interchange with carriers such as NZ and MX, as well as access to UA's fairly decent services to Hawaii from LAX. Does strike me as more of a leisure than a business route though, and if they truly wanted connections with UA I would have expected service to SFO instead...

Also, who says it would have to be a daily service? They could try it 3-4 times a week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.