Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

DANGER!! DANGER Will Robinson! My sensors detect a major programme change!

DANGER!! DANGER Will Robinson! My sensors detect a major programme change!

Old Apr 25, 03, 3:12 pm

Programs: Lowest of the low in all airline programs but I am in the EZY FF Program!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by neilmac:
Bond Boy, when did BMI ever give *G an upgrade let alone an empty seat beside them. Maybe this happens in transatlantic but most certainly not domestic.</font>
Bond Boy was referring to the automatic upgrade to Business (domestic or European) or New Economy (long haul) for all DC members using Destination Points. Wasn't aware of the empty seat policy though.

Old Apr 25, 03, 3:18 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by neilmac:
Bond Boy, when did BMI ever give *G an upgrade let alone an empty seat beside them. Maybe this happens in transatlantic but most certainly not domestic.</font>
They seem to have a policy of seating me next to fat/smelly/noisy/stupid people.
Old Apr 25, 03, 3:23 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Bond Boy:

Incidentally, (and I know that this is not quite the right place - but we are a friendly lot on the bmi board so I'll ask anyway) has anyone been on AC in biz across the pond - I am thinking about taking the family for a two week skiing holiday in Whistler next year and burning some miles on an AC biz flight.
</font>
Yeah, wrong place, but who cares? I flew the big pond with them last summer (Seoul to Vancouver) in business, and was very impressed. (I had read some bad reports elsewhere on FT). I've now booked our summer hols using BD points using AC bizclass from LHR-YVR. 5700 points well spent.
Old Apr 25, 03, 3:27 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kt74:
Surely there must have been surveys and focus groups about something as radical as this? Was anybody on the board polled on this? Very un-New Labour and un-Sir Mikey not to ask customers first.</font>
Yes, they asked me - in a phone survey about 6 months ago. I told them to make it like Lufty M&M (where I put most of my miles, due to the better earn/burn ratio).

Looking back, I should have told them just to become part of M&M.
Old Apr 26, 03, 2:25 am

In the post this morning I have received a flyer which explains the ratio and also gives 2000 'new miles' for registering on the site. Apologies if this is old hat but it is getting complicated on all the messages.

You receive 40 membership status miles for each membership point and 30 destinations miles for each destinations point.
The ratio is:
Buisness x2
Full economy x1.5
economy 1
discount economy 0.5
web only 0.25

All UK flights = 600 miles
Non uk less than 800 miles 800 points
Over 800 = 1 point per mile

MOving up the scale is difficult to work out as you require 7 business returns for silver and 16 buisness returns for gold
Old Apr 26, 03, 4:19 am

The flyer says details of the fare codes that are in the various categories are online - I couldn't find them.

Some folk have tried to guess. Anyone got an official list of fare codes? Will it vary from airline to airline?

Stephen
Old Apr 26, 03, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

The miles categories for bmi flights are on this page;

http://www.flybmi.com/miles/dcsectio...ls.aspx?p=1027

(Scroll down to the bottom)

Regards

TBS
Old Apr 26, 03, 9:24 am

Thanks TBS.

Another question.

The website says:

"If you are a silver or gold card member, you’ll also earn a destinations miles bonus of 25% of the miles you’ve flown during the month."

Does that mean that you get 25% on the actual miles flown even though you may only have got eg 50% credit becuase it's a low fare?

Old Apr 26, 03, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi,

From the FAQ,

http://www.flybmi.com/miles/dcsectionhome.aspx?p=1034

It appears to be a 25% destination miles bonus during each month so I think from that it is 25% of the Destination miles earned for the flights which will be added as a bonus and not the full mileage (flown/earned)

It is not a 100% clear to me.Maybe others will have a better interpretation .

regards

TBS
Old Apr 26, 03, 11:55 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Gold, Marriott Lifetime Premier Platinum
Bond Boy agree with all you said but can I just pick you up on this:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">posted by Bond Boy: bmi always try to upgrade bmi Gold when they are on a redemption flight. I also understand that bmi Gold and *Gold flyers all have the seat next to them blocked off by the booking engine unless the flight is full.</font>
The statement about seat-blocking is unfortunately untrue; no such mechanism exists. Of course, the staff aim to ensure as many people as possible have an empty seat, but there is no facility in the booking engine for this. As for upgrading, bmi do not try to upgrade redemption flights, they practically guarantee it. X class, in which redemption tickets are issued, is treated as C for Gold customers by yield management. A good perk, and better than the vouchers which involve a degree of uncertainty.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">posted by neilmac: Bond Boy, when did BMI ever give *G an upgrade let alone an empty seat beside them. Maybe this happens in transatlantic but most certainly not domestic.</font>
Erm, quite a bit. I normally find at least 1 in 5 of my BD domestic flights is upgraded; closer to 1 in 2 at times. An empty seat is less likely.

As for Diamond Club, this is at best a huge blunder, at worst a disastrous decision which will strip out the entire leisure market from the BD loyalty scheme at a stroke. If the mileage earning schemes on economy fares (sorry, 'discounted economy' fares) is correct, DC is now the most uncompetitive frequent flyer program in the entire Star Alliance network and one of the worst of any airline around the world. I agree 100 per cent with wingnut. They've decided to pitch themselves just a few feet short of the awful BA Exec Club thus allowing themselves to proclaim they are better than BA while at the same time becoming worse than most, if not all, other competitors.

And this appalling website needs sorting out urgently.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">from the website: Even domestic flights guarantee a minimum 600 miles if you travel in economy</font>
This simply isn't true. False. Wrong. Misleading.

And look at the earning levels. In order to get a MAN-ORD award you need 45,000 miles which now equates to, count them, 12 MAN-ORD economy revenue trips (12 x 3810 x 2 x 0.5 = 45720). If I made exactly the same trips and put the mileage on my UA*G card, I would earn (12 x 3810 x 2) 91440 - almost enough to make me a 1K. And if I were make almost identical trips on UA metal instead of BD metal the difference is incredible; 12 LHR-ORD trips would get 94560 status miles and the UA*G 100% bonus would bring the spending balance to 189120 - enough for a RTW ticket.

So not only is BD making its loyalty program uncompetitive, it is risking a loss of revenue.

Sadly, it appears Diamond Club and I are about to part company.

[This message has been edited by ajamieson (edited 04-26-2003).]
Old Apr 26, 03, 2:29 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ajamieson:
Sadly, it appears Diamond Club and I are about to part company.</font>
I'm thinking the same way. However, it's not just a question of whether I put my miles in UA or LH, but whether I bite the bullet and fly with BA and OW putting the miles in Qantas...
Old Apr 27, 03, 6:34 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ajamieson:
Erm, quite a bit. I normally find at least 1 in 5 of my BD domestic flights is upgraded; closer to 1 in 2 at times.</font>
How do you manage this? I've been upgraded once in around 100 sectors.

Old Apr 27, 03, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi,

I have just been looking through the membership section of the miles pages and hidden as a benefit of gold is a separate line saying;
-free upgrades on bmi operated flights.

Link is;
http://www.flybmi.com/miles/dcsectionhome.aspx?p=1033

Regards
TBS
Old Apr 27, 03, 3:32 pm

Bond Boy
The statement about seat-blocking is unfortunately untrue; no such mechanism exists. Of course, the staff aim to ensure as many people as possible have an empty seat, but there is no facility in the booking engine for this.
</font>
Hadn't realised this aj. My story comes from the check-in at EDI on an EDI - FRA flight with my wfie and kids. When the check in desk could not get me a seat with my wife and kids (flight was less than a third full) they sent us to the lounge to try. They spent over an hour trying this and about four people had a shot (something to do they admitted to me as it was dead quiet).

The upshot of it was (they agreed) that the system would not allocate a seat next to me as I was *G. This was because the rest of the plane was empty and the system would put other pax in these empty seats first. Seemed remotely plauisble at the time.

I was referring to the policy of ug's to C wehen a bmi *G (does it work as anoth *A *G holder?) Very interesting to hear about the treatment of X revenue tix by the system for a *G passenger. Will this work even in transatlantic - if so, could be very interesting?

By the way, this looks better than I had hoped as most of my Economy flights have been in M (holidays etc). I think it puts the whole discount economy fares thing into perspective as all of my travel on holidays has been in M with maybe one leg that I recall in Q:

miles earned on bmi

fare type
number of miles earned
applicable classes

business fares
x 2.0
c, d, j

full economy and the new economy (transatlantic only)
x 1.5
y, s, u, l

economy fares
x 1.0
b, k, m

discounted economy fares
x 0.5
h, e, q, o, v, w

promotional fares booked at flybmi.com
x 0.25
t, n

I see where ajamieson is coming from with the UA comparison but does the above table make a difference to your calcs?

Now, round trip biz redemptions on AC that I have just checked are 67,500 for LHR to YVR. That isn't too bad is it - especially compared to BA (although BA has flat beds and if you spend enough on the AMEX card you get a free companion ticket)?

Has anyone compared, say, UA or AC with the new bmi prog when it comes to Domestic travel. Would we be better off switching?

The post above about maybe switching to OW and putting miles through the QF prog is a valid one - try a search on the BA board for this debate. I have considered this a number of times - Dave Noble has a lot of info and is worth reading before deciding to make that switch.

[This message has been edited by Bond Boy (edited 04-27-2003).]
Old Apr 27, 03, 4:11 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by small em:
Yes, they asked me - in a phone survey about 6 months ago. I told them to make it like Lufty M&M (where I put most of my miles, due to the better earn/burn ratio).

Looking back, I should have told them just to become part of M&M.
</font>

I seem to recall an online survey a little while ago. Anyone else remember this? I recall that I took their website to task on number of things...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: