Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

DANGER!! DANGER Will Robinson! My sensors detect a major programme change!

DANGER!! DANGER Will Robinson! My sensors detect a major programme change!

Old Apr 24, 03, 11:52 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ajamieson:
Then she added, with sarcasm, that we shouldn't worry because DC management were "going to spend a whole day" helping out by answering the phones next week.
</font>

Which day ?????

We must find out which day it is and call.......!

LOL I will
Old Apr 24, 03, 2:41 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by rharrisuk:
Bewared - on hearing the massive change on BAA Worldcard exchange rates, I called BAA to make a transfer before the 28/4 deadline. They warned me that the points would not reach BMI until after the cut-off date.

</font>
Harrumph.

I knew the BAA Worldcard was too good to be true.

I'll be phoning to transfer my points tomorrow. (BTW: the BAA number is 0500 844844, only open 9-5 Mon-Fri)

It's a bit low to make the redemption three times worse and effectively give no notice.

The website looks like a rush job. There's a couple of broken links and the Mastercard page refers to a table which isn't there.

Nick

Old Apr 24, 03, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder why the rush?
Old Apr 24, 03, 5:34 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by StarAllianceGold:

It's a bit low to make the redemption three times worse and effectively give no notice.

The website looks like a rush job. There's a couple of broken links and the Mastercard page refers to a table which isn't there.

</font>
Agree - timescales are very short notice ! If I had not been on FT and had not checked the website, I would not have known about it at all. When will they tell people (I know some of you have already been told but it is not hard to do a mail (or email) run to the FF customer base.

Some of the tables are not even part way there at present for redemptions and earnings and these are the big questions we all seem to have initially. Still, hopefully they will load them over the weekend.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BAorbmi?:
I think the Amex MR converstion rates remain the same, as previously it was 35MR to 1 destination point, now it is 35MR to 30 destination miles, which is the same multiplier used to convert points to miles...

In Bond Boy's example, I think the bmi redemption rate has improved significantly. The previous redemption of 2500 points which is equivalent to 75000 miles (2500 x 30 = 75000)is now reduced to 50000 miles.

So from what I can see there's no improvement from Amex and the bmi credit card is now the best.

</font>
Agree with that now I look at it BAorbmi?. Looks like they made the route cheaper for me. As long as there is award availability on the specific config, I can now get a flat bed to JNB (voted best biz class airline to Africa for years and years now) for 75,000 compared to 100,000 with BA.

Looks like I may have now found a use for my bmi miles !

Incidentally, (and I know that this is not quite the right place - but we are a friendly lot on the bmi board so I'll ask anyway) has anyone been on AC in biz across the pond - I am thinking about taking the family for a two week skiing holiday in Whistler next year and burning some miles on an AC biz flight.

[This message has been edited by Bond Boy (edited 04-24-2003).]
Old Apr 25, 03, 2:10 am

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by YOWkid:
I wonder why the rush?</font>
I wonder indeed. As someone else said, moving to a *A-aligned miles-based system probably makes sense, but the new scheme just does not seem to be fully thought out... and that's just the basic stuff like earning and spending.

It's very unlike bmi to hash things up like this. Surely there must have been surveys and focus groups about something as radical as this? Was anybody on the board polled on this? Very un-New Labour and un-Sir Mikey not to ask customers first.
Old Apr 25, 03, 2:35 am

Programs: Lowest of the low in all airline programs but I am in the EZY FF Program!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kt74:
It's very unlike bmi to hash things up like this. Surely there must have been surveys and focus groups about something as radical as this? Was anybody on the board polled on this? Very un-New Labour and un-Sir Mikey not to ask customers first.</font>
At least BA gave us about 4 months notice of the changes to allow people to make considered decisions on whether to stay with them or jump ship. bmi have given us less than a week!

The website that has been set up is appalling. Incomplete tables and broken links. Have bmi's IT department heard of testing?

BTW - I think Sir Mikey is a true-blue Tory.

Old Apr 25, 03, 2:36 am

Programs: Lowest of the low in all airline programs but I am in the EZY FF Program!
Just noticed that my last post took us to two pages. Is this a record for the bmi forum???
Old Apr 25, 03, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, but in this case it is not really about destroying the benfits of a significant amount of members, they are not debasing some members miles by 77%, they are converting to miles. IIRC, when BA did the same thing for its UK members, I do not recall the timeframe.
Old Apr 25, 03, 8:28 am

I think that the rush (and the subsequent pig's ear) is rather easy to explain.

Look at the mailing. It's all about being better than BA. bmi are responding to BA's Executive Club changes and trying to pick up some of their disgruntled customers. To make the comparison between programmes easier, they've made the transition to a miles based system (which I'm sure they were going to do at some point anyway) sooner than they planned.

Unfortunately, they've neither thought it through nor communicated it at all well. A good idea poorly executed.

Personally, I think this might be the end of the road for me and DC. The whole 50% miles for discount economy thing is very bad for me. I know that it's easy to say "ah, but you only need 38K for Gold", but if all my flying is discount economy then I need to fly 76K miles for *G compared with 50K on UA.

One other thing they haven't got right yet is making Gold significantly better than Silver. At the moment you get *G which is obviously a big benefit, but other than that it's not really that much better than Silver (apart from all these mythical Gold Card Holder Events...). They seem to think of us as one group (the mailing label on the mailing had "Active G/S" above my name for heaven's sake...). They could have so easily made to Gold points bonus more than 25% (or the Silver one less) etc etc etc.

I can only look forward to the arrival of the new guide in May...

[This message has been edited by Wingnut (edited 04-25-2003).]
Old Apr 25, 03, 8:52 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Wingnut:
They seem to think of us as one group (the mailing label on the mailing had "Active G/S" above my name for heaven's sake...). They could have so easily made to Gold points bonus more than 25% (or the Silver one less) etc etc etc.</font>
I had a chuckle at this too. At least with the changes introduced by BA, Silver get 25% bonus and Gold 50%.
Old Apr 25, 03, 10:00 am

Programs: BA Gold; SQ PPS; UA Gold; LH FTL; Flying Blue Silver; Starwood Gold; ICHG AMB; Hyatt Platinum;
The 25% bonus for gold and silver is entirely in line with LH's programme, as are the class of service bonuses (though LH doesn't really distinguish between discount and full fare, nor have a separate earning rate for new economy).
Old Apr 25, 03, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, if they really wanted to have a big advantage over BA, they would have allowed acculumulation of all fares at 100%. That would have been the smartest move.

I agree, good intentions and ideas, but pathetically executed.
Old Apr 25, 03, 10:14 am

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by House:
The 25% bonus for gold and silver is entirely in line with LH's programme, as are the class of service bonuses (though LH doesn't really distinguish between discount and full fare, nor have a separate earning rate for new economy). </font>
...so does that mean that LH gives full credit for discount fares on BD/UA? If yes, then how many miles does one need for LH*G? (and is it true that one can access bmi lounges as an LH*S on BD flights?)

Not that I'm thinking of jumping ship or anything like that...
Old Apr 25, 03, 1:28 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kt74:
...so does that mean that LH gives full credit for discount fares on BD/UA? If yes, then how many miles does one need for LH*G? (and is it true that one can access bmi lounges as an LH*S on BD flights?)

Not that I'm thinking of jumping ship or anything like that...
</font>
Check out the thread on this page about Comping Status as someone (hfly maybe?) said that LH will comp status in some geographic locations.

This raises another question - which *A FF Prog is best for earning miles and status with when travelling discount Economy (or heaven forbid - web fares !)

Most of my bmi travel was GLA - LHR C Class but I make a good amount of miles and status also doing long haul M on LH and more importantly, UA (Premium Economy).

If there is a better *A FF prog now for this profile, I should consider it.

Dont forget the upgrade vouchers you get when becoming Gold - these can be worthwhile and bmi always try to upgrade bmi Gold when they are on a redemption flight. I also understand that bmi Gold and *Gold flyers all have the seat next to them blocked off by the booking engine unless the flight is full.

Nevertheless, if there was more differentiation between bmi Gold and Silver, I would be more inclined to fly with them more to retain Gold next year.
Old Apr 25, 03, 2:02 pm

Programs: AC SE SQ Solitaire BA Gold, SPG Plat, HH Gold
Bond Boy, when did BMI ever give *G an upgrade let alone an empty seat beside them. Maybe this happens in transatlantic but most certainly not domestic.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: